Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finished SV Blue Light / HEV lenses

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    And I might add, both surfaces are not only reflecting blue pretty strongly, but also UV as shown on the noviolens.com video.
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 09-08-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Yes the underlaying substrate is the main factor

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

But then how you define the cutoff definition for UV makes a BIG impact on the threat of HEVL, yes?

The range from 380 nm to 400nm becomes a battle ground. I'm not sure that most the current HEVL filters have defined how they handle this range, or what their assumptions are about the underlying substrate they are applied to.

Any ideas?

Yes the underlaying substrate is the main factor. If you can manage to add the right absorbers into it you might just do it. However there is also a hurdle to take into consideration and the is the thickness opf the coating.

The end result is still and will be forever, the amount and wave length of the light transmitting the surface........versus.........the amount of light and wave length that exits the lens surface on the backside.

Solution:
    Know what is hitting the surface, and measure what is coming out on the backside.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-01-2015 at 10:26 PM.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Very funny video Judy. Hey Chris, the substrate is not at all important to the blue waves who never get to it due to the thin film that mostly reflects them before they can get there. But yes, light making it past that barrier can be greatly or minimally affected by absorption.

Occupation

Blue Jumper I am still not so sure about the percentage of blue that is reflected

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post

Hey Chris, the substrate is not at all important to the blue waves who never get to it due to the thin film that mostly reflects them before they can get there. But yes, light making it past that barrier can be greatly or minimally affected by absorption.

I am still not so sure about the percentage of blue that is reflected by those fancy lenses and would love to see some spectrometer transition results of light coming straight on to a lens.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Keep an eye on your mailbox. 9 lenses coming your way, shipped a week ago. Have fun.

I'm hearing anything from 60% to 80% of the visible blue, pretty much ignoring anything that claims 100%.

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    But then how you define the cutoff definition for UV makes a BIG impact on the threat of HEVL, yes?

The range from 380 nm to 400nm becomes a battle ground. I'm not sure that most the current HEVL filters have defined how they handle this range, or what their assumptions are about the underlying substrate they are applied to.

Any ideas?

B
    Most lens companies make claims like, "blocks 40% of the blue light" without providing a transmission chart so you can see transmission rates at specific portions of the spectrum.

When you wear blue reduction lenses it becomes apparent there is very little color content in the 380nm to 400nm range. It is more of a glare/brightness that irritates your eyes.

We had our Chemistrie Blue clip lenses tested by an outside testing lab and they block over 99% through 390nm, 96.5% at 395nm and 86% at 400nm. From there, the numbers decrease to 50% at 410nm, 30% at 425nm and 22% at 450nm. They taper down to approximately 10% at 500nm. We have tested tinted computer lenses that have done slightly better from 380nm to 420nm but unfortunately, customers tend to dislike the tint.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zewe View Post
    Most lens companies make claims like, "blocks 40% of the blue light" without providing a transmission chart so you can see transmission rates at specific portions of the spectrum.

When you wear blue reduction lenses it becomes apparent there is very little color content in the 380nm to 400nm range. It is more of a glare/brightness that irritates your eyes.

We had our Chemistrie Blue clip lenses tested by an outside testing lab and they block over 99% through 390nm, 96.5% at 395nm and 86% at 400nm. From there, the numbers decrease to 50% at 410nm, 30% at 425nm and 22% at 450nm. They taper down to approximately 10% at 500nm. We have tested tinted computer lenses that have done slightly better from 380nm to 420nm but unfortunately, customers tend to dislike the tint.
    Now that's what I call a responsible manufacturer!

Thanks Joe!

B

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Keep an eye on your mailbox. 9 lenses coming your way

Keep an eye on your mailbox. 9 lenses coming your way, shipped a week ago. Have fun.

I'm hearing anything from 60% to 80% of the visible blue, pretty much ignoring anything that claims 100%.
    Ok we will watch out for it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3144654/
    Interesting article on damages of light.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation

I got the results on six pages of PDF's in front of me on my desk.

Hi Bill, The lenses came in, thank you. They went through the scanning process and I got the results on six pages of PDF's in front of me on my desk as well as on my home computer.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Hi Bill, The lenses came in, thank you. They went through the scanning process and I got the results on six pages of PDF's in front of me on my desk as well as on my home computer.
    Thanks. Feel free to attach them to an e-mail to me or post them on a new thread here if you like.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Here are some Spectrometer graphs .....................

Here are some Spectrometer graphs from lenses Dr,Bill Stacy sent me. There were 12 lenses, too much to put on OptiBoard, so I set up a page on my website and you can get to it at the following link :

Thread Information