Thread: Santinelli Barcode Reader

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Santinelli Barcode Reader

Does anyone know the format for a Santinelli barcode reader?

The baud rate is 9600 8N1, but they I suspect that a there is a some sort of proprietary code being sent for it to work.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I haven't had any luck getting anything else to work for them. We usually just salvage it off of an older parts machine, or order one from them if we need a new one.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by other_bill_fea View Post
    I haven't had any luck getting anything else to work for them. We usually just salvage it off of an older parts machine, or order one from them if we need a new one.
    Unfortunately for me I don't accept that as answer. Bill I have had the same issue, but what is locked can be unlocked. Push comes to shove I will acquire and decode a scanner.

Thanks for chiming in, its good to know I am not the only one trying.

Occupation
    I have no doubt that it *can* be, I unfortunately didn't have the time to solve this puzzle, so went with the quicker option.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by other_bill_fea View Post
    I have no doubt that it *can* be, I unfortunately didn't have the time to solve this puzzle, so went with the quicker option.
    Understood, it's not really worth it to me either, but I hate having locked down devices so I will spend free time as a side project working on this if I can. If I figure something out I will let you know.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Any luck on this 2015 project. I am trying to get a symbol scanner to work on a 9090A. Seems the standard send, receive, CTS, RTS, and ground is used and then the edger is sending 5V on the second data line presumably to power a laser.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    Any luck on this 2015 project. I am trying to get a symbol scanner to work on a 9090A. Seems the standard send, receive, CTS, RTS, and ground is used and then the edger is sending 5V on the second data line presumably to power a laser.
    Anyone that knows what the transmission looks like won't share that information and I can't seem to purchase or borrow a bar code scanner that works with a santinelli machine. The devices cost a small fortune because they use a different protocol, I have reversed many protocols over the past few years including now the santinelli nidek format for communications (except for the handshake). I require machines that are accessible and some time to automate a testing suite to narrow down the data. The format they save in was fairly trivial, drills were rearranged OMA protocol and proprietary label value pairs were encapsulated as values inside name value pairs with the name being "message" (I think, I have notes). I am assuming the handshake is a modified OMA, but it may well be standard OMA. The tracers have some weird binary data sent every so often I have a feeling it is to pro-grammatically access the settings on the machine but don't have a large enough sample size to see find any patterns.

I am using a method of creating a testing platform to load a crap ton of data and statistically compare the differences between them, so I look for name value pairs that are common and consistent and then log that data and try to decipher. For the saved files I have 100% understanding on the data. So far zero handshake packets. I have a device that theoretically can work to get the data I need, I would be willing to share if I had access to equipment to test, but I would rather not just tell the world and have someone else with the equipment move forward with my findings.

I am currently reverse engineering a dongle for a certain manufacturers equipment that will remove the limits on the number of drill holes that can be put on a lens. I had to use liquid nitrogen to remove acrylic blobs they placed on micro controllers, now I am pulling the boot loader from a SMT micro controller PIC, then comes the task of tracing the PCB, they have run many of the lines underneath components to prevent a simple trace, but I am probing lines and pulling spec sheets. I have 60-70% of it complete and the boot loader ripped. I don't just want to clone the boot loader, because the code is closed source and owned by the company but I am going through line by line and trying to reverse the Intel hex back to embedded C, chances are I can improve the code or remove certain checks from it as my intention isn't to create another lock but to remove the locks. It's going slow because I am putting most of my time into learning a new programming language so I can be more effective and valuable to my new employer, which means I have zero free time, every now and again I just have to remove myself from work and work on something else as a refresher and I am using the dongle project as my refresher. The bar code reader is on the back burner until I have the proper resources to move forward. Eventually what will happen which is the norm, someone will need the functionality and see this thread in a google search and contact me. Out of 10 contacts someone will eventually send me a bar code reader, the way I usually do it is if they want to sell me the reader then I will move forward and provide them a copy of my work. If they are close by in the MD/DC/Southern PA area I can set up some time that is convenient for their business to play on their machine without taking down production and provide them with copies of my work.

Unfortunately we are in an industry that is more concerned with "what's in it for me" instead of "what's in it for us" which means until someone has a need even if they have the resources and don't use it the goal tends to be not to let anyone else use it either.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I have schematics that show what wires are transmit, receive, cts,rts, ground and 5v. I am assuming that hardware handshaking is used based on the presence of the wires. I do have access to a working scanner so will connect to hyperterminal and see what comes through. When I scan a bar code. I am testing with a 9090 not connected to an LMS. Do you know if thr job number populates as soon as it is scanned or once the data is received from the LMS? Also is anyone sure of the baud rate and so forth {8,1,N ,??}

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    I have schematics that show what wires are transmit, receive, cts,rts, ground and 5v. I am assuming that hardware handshaking is used based on the presence of the wires. I do have access to a working scanner so will connect to hyperterminal and see what comes through. When I scan a bar code. I am testing with a 9090 not connected to an LMS. Do you know if thr job number populates as soon as it is scanned or once the data is received from the LMS? Also is anyone sure of the baud rate and so forth {8,1,N ,??}
    Connect the scanner at 9600 8N1 that's fairly standard if you can post the output from your hyperterminal session and a known barcode input I have a theory, if correct the results can be used to create a simple device to convert a regular off the shelf barcode reader to santinelli compatible reader.

if you need further assistance contact me through the forum I can set up a time to meet with you where we can Skype to figure it out. I can also provide code and cheap hardware alternatives to you once we complete the process.
    Last edited by MakeOptics; 06-22-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Thread Information