Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zenni on TV

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Zenni on TV

I have seen 4 Zenni Optical commercials on TV. How can they afford that? Who owns them now?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    they have to sell lots and lots of crappy glasses

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Maybe they have so much money they don't know what to do with it?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I found a website that describes their company

Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post

I have seen 4 Zenni Optical commercials on TV. How can they afford that? Who owns them now?

No idea who own them now.

I found a website that describes their company. They have their own huge lab and on and on.
    They claim that they are sending out more than 7000 pairs of glasses every day into more than 80 countries..

Check it out at: ==============>

http://www.zennioptical.com/zenni-op...oduction-story
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 09-01-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ha! Mostly Nidek Edgers. They know what's good!

B

Occupation
    Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenni_Optical

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Zenni Optical partners with Lions Clubs International’s

Zenni Optical partners with Lions Clubs International’s eyeglasses donation program, donating eyeglasses directly and also making financial donations to the Lions Club. Zenni’s 2012 contribution amounted to $170,000 worth of eyeglasses.[10]

Occupation

Redhot Jumper A frame manufacturer can make branded frames

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Zenni Optical only sells its own brand of frames, many of which are similar in appearance and significantly less expensive than popular brand-name styles.
    A frame manufacturer can make branded frames and also sell the same frames or close to it, on the open market for a lot less, and they have done so for years.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    My understanding is that they (internet eyeglasses sellers) are all losing money, and will continue to lose money until they can eliminate the competition fighting over the bottom 10% of the market.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I shall not be depressed. I shall carry on because the lights are still on and people tell me everyday they like our operation here. I wish I had better foot traffic out front, but we have all sorts of people stop by once they hear about us.

If this becomes a problem I will start to charge appropriate adjustment fees.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper they (internet eyeglasses sellers) are all losing money

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post

My understanding is that they (internet eyeglasses sellers) are all losing money, and will continue to lose money until they can eliminate the competition fighting over the bottom 10% of the market.

Prices for frames and lenses at the factory level made in the far east, and most of them are, were back to the level the European frame manufacturers charged in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Somebody in between the factories and the retailers must be absorbing the difference.

So if a Zenni and their companion on-liners cut out the middlemen and buy direct they are at an advantage.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 09-01-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Occupation
    Robert, Are you privy to their financials - balance sheets and profit and loss statements - or is this just wishful thinking.

With their extremely low operating and production costs and their volume you can bet that they are putting a few Yuan in the cookie jar.

Its just getting too darn expensive to manufacture eyeglasses in the USA what all with our confiscatory taxes, rules and regulations and to top it all off a $15.00 an hour minimum wage.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Robert, Are you privy to their financials - balance sheets and profit and loss statements - or is this just wishful thinking.

With their extremely low operating and production costs and their volume you can bet that they are putting a few Yuan in the cookie jar.

Its just getting too darn expensive to manufacture eyeglasses in the USA what all with our confiscatory taxes, rules and regulations and to top it all off a $15.00 an hour minimum wage.
    CC lost money every year until E snatched them up, I'd say that division is still losing money.

1-800-CL's also is reported to have lost money every year since inception. Low cost of goods/labor is no guarantee of a profitable company.

More than likely Zenni is trying to emulate CC and hopes to get bought out by a bigger fish.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warby Parker still is not profitable, but says that its sales are growing each year.
    http://fortune.com/2015/04/30/warby-parker-unicorn/

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    CC lost money every year until E snatched them up, I'd say that division is still losing money.
    Yup, it's pretty much common knowledge that Costal never made a penny. These companies are disrupters, not builders.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper These companies are disrupters for the B&M retailers

Yup, it's pretty much common knowledge that Costal never made a penny. These companies are disrupters, not builders.

Whatever Coastal made or not made is not important, as the shareholders ended up with several tons of money when they got purchased by Essilor.

These companies are disrupters for the B&M retailers and savers for some consumers.

If Coastal and the other Essilor on-line opticals today sells the about same amount of glasses each today as Zenni, every lens and many frames are made by some or most of the over 400 Essilor owned companies, and Essilor benefits from every screw they are selling.

Just do not believe that E is stupid. They are probably the smartest optical corporation that ever existed in history and are taking advantage of it..

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I won't deny that E is smart (I don't know about smartest though), but it is a combination of smart and ruthless that is what has taken them where they are. All things come full circle, and their time will come.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'll bet the CEO and CFO make a decent salary!

As to $15 an hour- in the words of The Profit Judge Smails in Caddyshack- "Well Danny, the world needs ditch-diggers too". And a $15 minimum wage in expensive parts of the country maybe let's ditch-diggers buy from us instead of the non taxed and loosely regulated internet!!!

Occupation

Blue Jumper They haul out of California ..............

Type Private company
    Founded 2003
    Founder CEO Tibor Láczay
    COO Julia Zhen
    Headquarters San Rafael, Marin County, California, United States
    Products Eyewear (prescription eye glasses and sunglasses)
    Slogan Eyeglasses for the masses
    Website ZenniOptical.com
    Zenni Optical or ZenniOptical is an online retailer of prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses. Founded in 2003 as

Zenni Optical or ZenniOptical is an online retailer of prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses. Founded in 2003 as19dollareyeglasses.com, the company manufactures and ships its own brand of eyewear. According to The Washington Post, as of 2015 it is the "most widely used online sources of glasses" among Consumer Report readers.[1] It continues to be based in Marin County, California, though the glasses are manufactured in China. As of 2015 Zenni’s prescription eyeglasses start at $6.95 and are shipped both in the United States and internationally.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Zenni has been under a lot of scrutiny lately if anyone noticed or can read Chinese. It's Chinese company and owner is under investigation in China for myriads of violations. Won't be surprised similar investigations start in the the US.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by soobvious View Post
    Zenni has been under a lot of scrutiny lately if anyone noticed or can read Chinese. It's Chinese company and owner is under investigation in China for myriads of violations. Won't be surprised similar investigations start in the the US.
    Wasn't that a plot for Seasons 2 and 3 House of Cards
    Xander Feng anyone??????

Occupation

Blue Jumper Right now Zenni has the highest ranking website ...................................

Right now Zenni has the highest ranking website in the optical trade, that has never been achieved by any other optical company.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Right now Zenni has the highest ranking website in the optical trade, that has never been achieved by any other optical company.
    It only makes them look more scandalous.

I wonder what short-cuts they took to get there because Zenni's CEO Tibor Laczay is suing Zenni's CFO-COO-WIFE in San Francisco for financial misconduct and for ousting him from accessing any of the company's financial reports and banking statements. The wife is from China and from what I read, she's allegedly entangled in various questionable financial schemes here in the US and abroad to avoid taxes.

There is also another lawsuit from one of Zenni Optical's accountants accusing the company and its CFO of violating various laws on tax reporting leading to her wrongful termination.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I love when people bump threads, for no apparent reason, from the dust bin...

Occupation

Blue Jumper Lelarep...............sorry, but you are mistaken.............................

Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post

I love when people bump threads, for no apparent reason, from the dust bin...

Lelarep...............sorry, but you are mistaken. The so called "OptiBoard Dustbin" is a valuable piece of History. You probably never thought about this way.

Not the posts where somebody looks for a hinge to an old frame,................ but the ones that deal on subjects, which will, do, or could change an age old profession as opticianry sooner or later dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Singapore View Post

It only makes them look more scandalous.

I wonder what short-cuts they took to get there because Zenni's CEO Tibor Laczay is suing Zenni's CFO-COO-WIFE in San Francisco for financial misconduct .................

...................interesting, and could lead them, to put up the company for sale, at some point in the near future.

Just take a guess, who would be going to purchase it. The gang of the two corporations who own already a major series of on line opticals has been joined by Hoya who probably will, or would join the bidding for hundreds of millions of Dollars in their bet for future domination of the optical retail market.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Px comes in with a story. Hi myope 7s & 9s w/ 1.25/1.50 cyls & a reattached retina OD. Px has MF toric CLs, but can't wear them for very extended periods. Wondering how her collection of prior specs match up to her most recent series of Rx's. Various difficulties reported with all.

Two of them from 3 scripts ago made at a Doctors' office. 3 from Zenni! (I'm sure my eyebrows gave away my alarm, but for the most part I think I pulled off a poker face.) I take her PD: 32.5/32.0. OD pupil is >2mm higher than OS. Ok, here we go....

Turns out that every pair she thought she ordered as a PAL was in fact SV. (All things considered with a vertical imbalance of 2.38D/cm, perhaps a blessing.)

PD on Zenni "primary" (modified from full distance +.75 with reduced add) is 60.0. Since she uses them for a focal length a little shorter than intended, maybe the extra BO prism isn't symptomatic, but...OC on OD LOWER than OS! (None of her Zenni specs were lucky enough to have accidentally shoved the OD higher than the OS for the patient's lack of a need for vertical prism.) I ask her, "I don't really know how ordering on Zenni works. Do they use a picture of your face as a part of the order entry? She says it's optional, but she just used the picture of the model to try on different frames. I'm just not hearing anything about pupillary heights in the order entry process so far...

Px goes on to report migraines when attempting to use specs for extended hours at the computer! Has tried to get glasses adjusted over and over but never could quite get them right....

I physically demonstrated the counter-clockwise tilt with my own glasses saying, "you want to do this all the time...." and her eyes grew wide followed by an exuberant "YES!" (that tilt was a fair site bigger than 2 degrees for a 1.50 cyl, by the way.)

We had a thorough chat about some people having prescriptions so simple that their lenses are pretty hard to screw up. Those are the folks who every now and then might get lucky with online glasses. "Unfortunately, you're not one of those people...."

I tell her as a health care provider, I have mixed feelings about giving these specs back to her. "You really need to throw these away--they're bad for your eyes." But she loves the frames! Fine, pop out the lenses and keep the frames? Just don't wear these lenses, please!

Glasses from your doctors optical..... is the cost > or < that of Zenni "specs" and migraine medication? Hmmmmm....

Thread Information