Thread: I just made a patient cry.

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused I just made a patient cry.

Evening folks,

First off this isn't what it sounds like.

A little while ago a women came into my store, lets call her Ms.C, asking if I would be willing to adjust her glasses from some other optical. Me being Mr. Nice smiled my best and said I'd help out. Now, at a glance they were just fine, deep progressives, Silhouette rimless , strait, even, 6% panto, the lightest weight set up I can think of. Ms.C tells me that she has severe pain at the nose pads and at the top of the ear where the temple sits as well as behind at the temple tip. So, I take a generous amount of time studying the way they are sitting and begin to adjust the fit. The adjustments are small, a light spreading of pads and ~15 degree twist toward her face, and I bend the temple tip away from her head slightly. This process is repeated twice, and each time I can see she is visibly relieved. On the last adjustment, she quite literally bursts into tears. I am honestly speechless and a little concerned.

So, I spend a time talking with Ms.C about these problems more. She is a lifetime glasses wearer of the last 60+ years and these problems only developed within the last year and half. She wears a large set of wrap around sunglasses that fit over her silhouettes that has never given her any problems at all. They are large boxy, with strait temples. We spend some time talking about frame designs and what might help her, and I recommend she ask a doctor about what I can only guess must be a sinus issue of some severity. She will return later this week to discuss it more.

To you:
    Have you encountered this before? I have never in my life seen someone so relieved to have such a minuscule adjustment made. Thoughts?
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nice work Dustin! Sometimes it's the smallest things that count. Hopefully you have a patient for life now, just for taking the time. I have had a couple patients that just a small amount of pressure would set them off, and it's always nice to relieve that pressure and it's not even that the glasses were adjusted that poorley to begin with, just very sensitive.

Good work!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The cynical (read: experienced) part of me can't help thinking that this patient is going to be in your office twice a week for the next seven months asking for teeny tiny adjustments over and over.... But good customer service, Dustin.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would venture a guess that she may never had anyone really take the time to understand her needs when being adjusted. I think as opticians we can sometimes take for granted how much we can really make a difference in people's lives. Think about it, we have the ability to make something that sits on someone's face all day every day feel better, and allow someone to see clearer. Sinus pain (or any pain, really) can be incredibly stressful, just having someone looking out for you when you are in pain can make all the difference in the world. Kudos to you for gaining a satisfied patient!

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I appreciate the replies everyone. I'm relieved to hear that this isn't too alarming because it sure caught me off guard.
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Customer service home run. she will probably send everyone to you. One thing I have discovered in the business is that customer service beats selection and knowledge.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    underlying health issues.

Thread Information