Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: I just saw Luzerne's TheraBlue lens.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    Not quite. The latest fad is reducing the VISIBLE BLUE radiation. UV protection is well known and well understood, as you state. Total blue blocking is also well known and understood in the realm of sunglasses. It's that pesky visible blue blocking while being wearable in public is the new problem. I mean who wants to wear strongly blue reflectors and/or deeply yellow colored lenses in public?

Not me
    aaaaaaaaaaand that's the problem TheraBlue addresses.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I ask all the blue light worriers about this:

What's more important? Wearing blue-blocker dress lenses or wearing wrap sunglasses outdoors? Which has more negative effect long term?

I. Don't. Know.

Nobody knows.
    Last edited by drk; 10-09-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

What's more important? Wearing blue-blocker dress lenses or wearing wrap sunglasses outdoors? Which has more negative effect long term?

I. Don't. Know.

Nobody knows.
    I'm not really addressing you specifically, drk, despite quoting you here.

I think that the characterization of people in this discussion as "blue-light worriers" is an obstacle to productive conversation. Not everyone on OB is a decision-maker at their place of work. In my case, my doctor is very focused on the potential dangers of long-term HEV exposure, so it is my professional obligation to research products that address my employer's directives. My own skepticism on the subject is immaterial; I have a job to do. The biggest obstacle to dispensing effective HEV-blocking products has long been their obnoxious yellow or brown color. TheraBlue is a game-changer because it does the job with no more visible tint than Transitions or high-index lenses, products that I dispense every day.

Whether or not you think that the job TheraBlue does is worth doing is, frankly, irrelevant to my need to explore products like this as part of my job. So I respectfully must object to being characterized as being some sort of apologist for technology some of my colleagues believe to be unnecessary. I have a professional obligation to fulfill, and TheraBlue is an excellent product in service of that goal.

If you don't want to dispense HEV-blocking technology, don't. Some people don't like to dispense AR or polycarbonate lenses, or Luxottica frames. Some don't use managed care. Let other professionals with needs different than yours do what they need to do. We can serve our different employers and client bases without disparaging each other. I prefer to assume that professionals on this board who do things I don't do are doing so with due diligence and conscience.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Judy Canty just stopped by my office to show us Mitsui's new TheraBlue lens.

Jaw drop.

Mic drop.

Game-changer.

I'm still shaking my head that a lens this clear can demonstrably block HEV blue light that completely. If I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes I wouldn't believe it. It has no more visible tint than an unactivated Transitions-VI lens. You need to check this out.

For such a.................... Jaw drop / Mic drop / Game-changer. This is the only place I see this even talked about.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

I. Don't. Know.

Nobody knows.
    That's a pretty lame choice. You are not specifying anything about the lens materials in the "wrap" sunglasses, nor anything about the frame details in the "dress" lenses.

I can envision some tiny little dress lens frames that don't offer much protection outdoors, and some big semi-wrap frames that would do just fine. I can also envision "wrap" sunglasses that offer little UV and visible blue protection (cr39 tinted blue with no uV treatments).

In this controversy as in most, you need to use your brain.

And of course you need a modicum of knowledge.

And then there's:
    Last edited by Dr. Bill Stacy; 10-09-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    For such a.................... Jaw drop / Mic drop / Game-changer. This is the only place I see this even talked about.
    It's only been in the market for a month, and is only available through one distributor in the U.S. If we restricted our lens choices to the things we "see talked about" all over the place, we'd put every patient in polycarbonate Varilux lenses with Transitions and Crizal. Our job is to be more knowledgeable than popular perception.
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 10-09-2015 at 12:22 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Your last sentence is misleading.

I mean who wants to wear strongly blue reflectors and/or deeply yellow colored lenses in public?

Not me

Your last sentence is misleading.

..........you are not quite up to date in the available material knowledge of these lenses.

They can be tinted to appear in the following colors = Amber / Brown / Dark Brown / Green and still provide the same protection.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Essilor Poll on blue light in the UK

Essilor Poll in the UK

Many people are unaware of blue light which is emitted from devices, screens, and low energy bulbs – whilst large numbers think of Ultra-Violet light as only a danger when looking directly at the sun, not realising that there reflections off water, windows, and roads.
    Essilor has conducted a poll through YouGov to find out just how low awareness of these dangers is. Of the 2,096 people polled:

· 29% that blue light was also damaging.

· 76% had not heard of E-SPF ratings and how they protect eyes from UV.

· 72% of people were unaware that blue and UV light blocking lenses were an option for either.

· 36% knew that smoking tobacco harmed your eyes

· 35% knew the same about obesity

· One in ten people were completely unaware that any of these factors could affect your eyesight at all.

Here are the full results of the poll

Before taking this survey, which, if any, of the following causes were you aware of that can damage people’s eyes? (Please select all that apply)

see all of it:==============>
    http://www.optometry.co.uk/news-and-.../?article=7776
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-12-2015 at 06:32 AM.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Your last sentence is misleading.

..........you are not quite up to date in the available material knowledge of these lenses.

They can be tinted to appear in the following colors = Amber / Brown / Dark Brown / Green and still provide the same protection.
    It is well understood that you can take a lens that targets blue and violet wavelengths for absorption and/or reflection will appear yellow, the higher the absorption and/or reflectance of the blue, the more noticeably YELLOW the lens appears, and consequently the more YELLOW the wearers' visual world will appear, and the more YELLOW the wearers lenses and eyes will appear to observers.

It seems very obvious to me that these lenses can be even more deeply colored by adding brown or green or really any other tint which will make the lenses and visual world darker, more sunglass like. My question was referring to indoor lenses, not sunglasses. Perhaps I should have said "Who wants to wear yellow or any other color of deeply tinted lenses indoors? Not me." But most people already know not to wear sunglasses indoors or at night.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My question was referring to indoor lenses, not sunglasses. Perhaps I should have said "Who wants to wear yellow or any other color of deeply tinted lenses indoors? Not me." But most people already know not to wear sunglasses indoors or at night.
    You may know that, and I may know that. But Corey Hart does not know that.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

I am shocked smoking is not higher, Based on conversations I've had with several doctors I was not expecting it to be that low.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I know this has been discussed ad infinitum, but just thought I'd add that there is room for a further description.

In my lab today I have two stock TheraBlue products, one is +2.00-0.50 and the other is -6.00-0.50. It's now obvious that the thicker the lens is, the deeper the resultant hue will be. It's a relatively greenish color. The color cast is MUCH less detectable in the plano 'colorless' demo lens that's supplied by Luzerne and I wish I understood that better ahead of time. I wouldn't market the product as colorless. Still, the color less obvious than all of the competitive products. The AR coat looks like a simple value AR that's pretty obvious, like what you'd see on an economy SOMO stock product.

Overall, it's an OK option and doesn't show that strong purple sheen that some patients have balked at.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by icare View Post
    I know this has been discussed ad infinitum, but just thought I'd add that there is room for a further description.

In my lab today I have two stock TheraBlue products, one is +2.00-0.50 and the other is -6.00-0.50. It's now obvious that the thicker the lens is, the deeper the resultant hue will be. It's a relatively greenish color. The color cast is MUCH less detectable in the plano 'colorless' demo lens that's supplied by Luzerne and I wish I understood that better ahead of time. I wouldn't market the product as colorless. Still, the color less obvious than all of the competitive products. The AR coat looks like a simple value AR that's pretty obvious, like what you'd see on an economy SOMO stock product.

Overall, it's an OK option and doesn't show that strong purple sheen that some patients have balked at.
    That's pretty much to be expected. Transitions lenses have more hue in thicker RXes as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    That's pretty much to be expected. Transitions lenses have more hue in thicker RXes as well.
    I'm pretty sure Transitions is only on the front surface, not through out the lens, poly for sure. Tint is the same no matter the thickness, now PGX is another story...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Transitions is only on the front surface, not through out the lens, poly for sure. Tint is the same no matter the thickness, now PGX is another story...
    Post #3---

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...bibed+imbedded

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yeah! We need big gov't to change the blue sky to another color. I'm sure there's some way to waste billions of dollars trying to do that. Or we can just wear video camera glasses all the time and set those monitors to only allow safe light to be seen.

Thread Information