Thread: Replace Truvision Omni with Panamic?

OptiBoard Novice

Question Replace Truvision Omni with Panamic?

I’m a longtime wearer of AOB (American Optical Truvision Omni) progressives. They’re the only pair I own, used equally for driving, computer use, and reading. I appreciate the very soft design: no distortion in the corners!

OD -3.25 +.25 x163
    OS -1.75 -------------
    Add 2.00

I’m interested in moving to a newer generation lens if it will provide a better viewing experience. For me this would mean a greater width in any of the distance, intermediate, or reading zones, with the same distortion-free peripheral. And I would like a frame with a smaller height than my current 45mm pair.

My eye doctor (PhD, MD) wears progressives and says basically “a lens is a lens” and there is no need to change, but that his affiliated opticians are trained and able to discuss this with me. The one I talked to is not familiar with the AOB, but says the Varilux Panamic will likely give me a greater field of vision without the distortion. She’ll order replacement AOB lenses if I am unsatisfied with the Panamic.

I have struck out finding a local optician who will/can discuss lens differences, so naturally I return to this forum for the REAL scoop!

Do you think the odds favor the Panamic providing a better viewing experience?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Second Generation Lens

In the development of progressive lenses, there are currently several generations of new developments past the Truvision. It was OK in its time, but Panaamic and a dozen or so others would be superior for your visual needs. Good luck!

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    biff, another factor, is that in low add powers in presbyopic myopes, most PALs would work fine, adds say like a 0.75, 1.00, 1.25, maybe a 1.50, but as you get higher adds, like your 2.00, a different leve of sophistcation is induced. go with the panamics; the doc is wrong, a 'lens is a lens" is bs. bet he still refracts min plus cyls too.

Bad address email on file dfisher's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    wmcdonald

It has been our experience that previous progressive addition lens wearers often have difficulty adapting the panamic. I would recommend you try the new Hoya Summit ECP. I think you will find the corners softer and have the feeling of a wider, more comfortable reading area.

OptiBoard Novice
    How interesting. Thanks to all three of you for your responses. In addition, a well-respected local ECP emailed this:

"While I agree that the Panamic is a good lens, I am very impressed with the Hoya ECP progressive. The ones I've handled were clear as a bell in the distance. They will function well in a newer shorter frame as well. They tend to be more costly than the 5 year old Panamic design so we are still paying for R&D."

Dfisher, who sez two opticians can't agree on anything!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Reading always helps

dfisher:
    Thank you for the enlightenment....but my point was that True Vision is outdated and several others would be better. I was not advertising for Panamic, although i feel it to be a super lens.

Thread Information