Thread: Gender Discrimination in the Optical Store

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Gender Discrimination in the Optical Store

Well, It seems that Target has taken the lead in ending gender discrimination in their stores. How long before we in the retail eyewear business remove these offensive gender labels from children’s eyewear and stop designating certain styles for girls or boys and for that matter men's and women's?

We all realize that there is no difference between little boys and little girls and that gender typing during the early formative years can lead to adolescent confusion and undesirable traits in adulthood. We also realize that in adulthood ones sexual identity is not based on the configuration or location of ones genitals but rather on how one identifies themselves on a given day.

So, clean up your act and throw out those sexually biased signs and décor before the PC Police kick down your door.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Take the sex signs off the bathrooms too!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There's sex in bathrooms? I'm working at the wrong place!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it only took 40 minutes!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Link?

Occupation

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The world will be a better place if we could all identify as ourselves - without labels.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    remember the Seinfeld episode where George wore womens specs?

Harry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As the leader and setter of all good examples in our workplace, I have gotten rid of all labels and anything that may be construed as offiensive. I realized that people don't pick their own names, but rather, they live with those randomly assigned by their parents. How oppressive is THAT? Have you ever thought of the pain someone may be going through, each time their name is called, especially if it's a name that they don't like? Because of this, I will no longer refer to anyone by a name, but will now address them simply as "ewe", or "you", whichever seems most appropriate.

I recently tried this out at a trade show, with great results, as I can't remember most names anyway.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    As the leader and setter of all good examples in our workplace, I have gotten rid of all labels and anything that may be construed as offiensive. I realized that people don't pick their own names, but rather, they live with those randomly assigned by their parents. How oppressive is THAT? Have you ever thought of the pain someone may be going through, each time their name is called, especially if it's a name that they don't like? Because of this, I will no longer refer to anyone by a name, but will now address them simply as "ewe", or "you", whichever seems most appropriate.

I recently tried this out at a trade show, with great results, as I can't remember most names anyway.
    Good grief, the world is getting stranger. Remember when Kate Plus 8 was the dreaded life nobody wanted and was exploited? That seems like nothing now in comparison.

Transgender may take a back seat to this trend increasing in popularity...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quick answer: label all frames as "Unisex".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We don't label them.

Aren't we PC....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a patient come in and ask where our "bisexual" frames were. Older lady. I think she meant "unisex."

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Lol

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If I remove "labels from my boards" I am going to offend more people then I would if they were labeled. Most men don't want to wear a ladies frame. My store is not labeled however they are set up as woman and men's. I feel I would actually loose business by having people confused consumers to shop in my store. A good majority of patients ask for the frames by sex style where we point them out. I have never run into an issue wear a man is offended cause he cannot by woman's glasses. However I have several transgender patients all female to male, who want to make sure they are in men's frames and would not woman's frames. I also have a few cross dressing patients and one drag queen that we outfit with glasses whom want to shop in the opposite gender section take pride in that fact too. I feel that removing labels is not the answer. many people change their lives and spend big bucks to identify as one gender or another. From what I have observed that gender that they identify with becomes a badge they wear with pride. Removing that end goal will only ad to the feeling of limbo that these patients experience till they make a change to what ever point of intensity to identify with. let them shop where ever they feel comfortable. not to sound greedy but a sale is a sale.
    Last edited by EyeManDan; 08-11-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We need more lumbersexual frames.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seriously , the last thing I would do is have label on our walls or frames. For one thing, when a guy says, "Where are the men's frames?" Then he's expecting a finite selection, and it will usually not be enough, regardless of how many you have. I have them in sections, but blend them as well. I'll be the last person to tell someone they can't buy/wear a frame because it was made for a certain gender. Really?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    remember the Seinfeld episode where George wore womens specs?

Harry

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    New frame section: "Transpecsual"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We keep Johnny Cash singing "A Boy Named Sue" on a continuous loop in our dispensary. It both crashes through gender barriers and keeps the hipsters calm. ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my latest job, we arrange by brand only, which can be very confusing for most pts that have been trained to look in a mens vs womens section. I say, "We display by brand, which have both mens and womens frames. If they are pink with glitter, they are probably womens, but you can wear what ever you like" Usually gets a giggle.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cue Little Orphan Annie and "The sun will come out tommorrow"...

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Well, It seems that Target has taken the lead in ending gender discrimination in their stores. How long before we in the retail eyewear business remove these offensive gender labels from children’s eyewear and stop designating certain styles for girls or boys and for that matter men's and women's?I think it's brilliant marketing on Target's part. Don't look now but our generations ain't puttin out too many babies these days and the ones who are, are accepting of gender neutrality.

We all realize that there is no difference between little boys and little girls and that gender typing during the early formative years can lead to adolescent confusion and undesirable traits in adulthood. We also realize that in adulthood ones sexual identity is not based on the configuration or location (???) of ones genitals but rather on how one identifies themselves on a given day. There goes another generation down the tubes. This time for sure!

So, clean up your act and throw out those sexually biased signs and décor before the PC Police kick down your door. Santa's going to put us on his naughty list?
    Before you know it same sex marriage is going to be legal.

And a black man will be president.

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-11-2015 at 09:21 PM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead Daddy View Post
    New frame section: "Transpecsual"

Love it

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    In my latest job, we arrange by brand only, which can be very confusing for most pts that have been trained to look in a mens vs womens section. I say, "We display by brand, which have both mens and womens frames. If they are pink with glitter, they are probably womens, but you can wear what ever you like" Usually gets a giggle.
    We have the boards separated by men/women. I will always point them out and say "Men's frames are for the most part unisex, they are just less sparkly than the women's."

Thread Information