Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Luzerne introduces TheraBlue: The Clearer Choice (for HEV protection)

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    At one of the recent overseas optical shows, I saw the Mitsui lenses that block transmission up to approximately 420nm as compared to the typical 380 to 400nm. I believe they are called MR8++ or something similar but do not quote me on that. If I recall correctly the lens had a refractive index of 1.60.

Any tint is barely noticeable. In fact, they appeared to be clear lenses. Perhaps this is the lens material referred to by Judy.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have been testing this material , the residual color in 1.56 hivex at 2.2 CT is about 1.5% yellow gray, 1.60 and 1.67 have slightly more residual color. It absorbs / disperses in our testing over 93% at 380-420 nm, tests samples were 2.2 CT. Drops off substantially above 420nm. Since 420nm is not well received by the retina, its completely plausible for it to appear invisible.

The mechanism is different because its material based, its not an add-on or coating. Nothing is done to it post process. So the effective properties are more than a few microns thick.

Since clear 1.60 and 1.67 absorb substantial amounts of SWB on their own, about 8-9% in our testing, its completely plausible to block these lower frequencies almost invisibly because they are not well received by the retina. Did you know that 1.60 blocks substantial amounts of SWB at 420nm? Neither did I.

I am hoping to get more samples when supplies are deeper.

This was originally developed by Mitsui Resin company over a year ago, and when I met with them they were excited about it and a few others in the works. They have kept their role quiet for reasons I have not understood

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Per the release posted, this "virtually clear" lens "absorbs and filters" a portion of the visible spectrum.

Ergo this lens is not clear.

Which is no different in appearance like all the other blue bandwagon lenses of the past year or two. While the mechanism may be different in some way, the result *must* be the same - the appearance of a filter or 'tint' color in the lens.

It remains completely impossible to alter or remove any given part of the visible spectrum, and not have it alter what is viewed through said lens. Why is something so academic, so hard for all these marketing departments to ignore?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    yes Joe, its the same but even more improved than the original samples Mitsui showed a year ago, they refered to it as MR95 as they believe it to absorb/disperse 95% of short wave Blue 420 and below, which I have confirmed in testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zewe View Post
    At one of the recent overseas optical shows, I saw the Mitsui lenses that block transmission up to approximately 420nm as compared to the typical 380 to 400nm. I believe they are called MR8++ or something similar but do not quote me on that. If I recall correctly the lens had a refractive index of 1.60.

Any tint is barely noticeable. In fact, they appeared to be clear lenses. Perhaps this is the lens material referred to by Judy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    ... Since 420nm is not well received by the retina, its completely plausible for it to appear invisible.
    Good info above. Thanks for that. One question, every text and white paper I've read places peak sensitivity of s cones ('blue' or short wave etc) at between 420 - 440nm. If that is the focus frequency for attenuation, I would think it to be quite noticeable visually. Regardless, thanks for providing all of the above SS. It's appreciated.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    yes Joe, its the same but even more improved than the original samples Mitsui showed a year ago, they refered to it as MR95 as they believe it to absorb/disperse 95% of short wave Blue 420 and below, which I have confirmed in testing.
    +1
    Van,
    I believe this is the lens you showed me during your last visit to our clinic, it was an impressive demonstration. Not you but the lens.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    yes, it was sample then

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    +1
    Not you but the lens.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Mitsui had an array of products they were showing different cut-offs in amounts up to 460nm, this is a slightly higher cut-off than listed here according to the chart, they also called it UV++ , not the UV+ the chart is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    All the studies I am going through are enormously contradictory... I think we have more questions than answers at this point. Short Wave Blue is not really Blue as we know it, its a combination of Visable UV, Violet and Indigo from 380-450nm.

Good info above. Thanks for that. One question, every text and white paper I've read places peak sensitivity of s cones ('blue' or short wave etc) at between 420 - 440nm. If that is the focus frequency for attenuation, I would think it to be quite noticeable visually. Regardless, thanks for providing all of the above SS. It's appreciated.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is one of my biggest issues with these new lenses - there is absolutely ZERO consensus as to what precise frequencies may or may not be harmful, and in addition, what level of exposure should be considered a harmful amount? Then there is the question that remains the elephant in the room - what about the instant exposure one receives when stepping outdoors from sunlight, which is of course orders of magnitude more intense an any LED screen on the planet?

At the end of the day, it just doesn't make sense that all the various lenses from all the different companies can take most or all (depending on the manufacturer, and the extent of the visible frequency rage they choose to eliminate) of the light that activates s cones out of the equation, and magically have no effect on our visual perception.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The body has an enormous ability to handle SWB light, its why we can't see it very well. No studies even exist on the subject on how much energy the body can first disperse, and then recover from. All the tests for cellular have been done with intense light levels, sure even a red laser will cause cell damage at a high enough intensity.

Also, prior to headlights I think SWB may improve our ability to see in low light conditions as the SWB is reflected off the cones on it.

Also, the photo receptive ganglion cells are technically seeing SWB light, and their function and is not fully known. They were even discovered and then forgotten for over 70 years. It tells you that the state of science on optical function is really poor. Sadly we were the first field of science, now we seem like the last.

These cells seem to peak out from 460 to 480 nm, and can identify objects, so they do more than just manage the circadian rhythms.

This is one of my biggest issues with these new lenses - there is absolutely ZERO consensus as to what precise frequencies may or may not be harmful, and in addition, what level of exposure should be considered a harmful amount? Then there is the question that remains the elephant in the room - what about the instant exposure one receives when stepping outdoors from sunlight, which is of course orders of magnitude more intense an any LED screen on the planet?

At the end of the day, it just doesn't make sense that all the various lenses from all the different companies can take most or all (depending on the manufacturer, and the extent of the visible frequency rage they choose to eliminate) of the light that activates s cones out of the equation, and magically have no effect on our visual perception.
    Last edited by sharpstick777; 08-10-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some of you may know my friend, Judy Canty, but most of you obviously do not. I haven't seen this new product, but will look forward to seeing new technology introduced to benefit our patients. If what you want to do is constantly sound off on something you that you haven't researched just for argument sake, you will obviously not be looking after the best interest for your patients. I for one am looking forward to seeing this technology. Comparison is wonderful. Bring it on Judy, my friend....BTW, guys don't bully MY friend.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-01-2015 at 10:21 PM.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Nice and thanks for that. BTW which lens is your lens and what's the other one?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Light source is OTT Light, full spectrum bulb used for color and hue matching. Paper is Advantage Premium Multi-System Brightness 96 (157 whiteness).

Attachment 12167
    Yes, labels please. Which lens is which?
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    TheraBlue on the left. Another well-known HEV absorptive on the right.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That was my guess.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Impressive; I'd sure like to see a spectographic transmission curve for both of those lenses side by side. I know that's asking a lot, but it would display the huge difference between the two. I'm curious because I'm torn between going with max blue protection like in bluetech and more modest blue protection that won't be so hideous but will at least do something about blue and will be cosmetically descent.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-01-2015 at 10:21 PM.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I really like your signature quote. Thanks for trying anyway.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mitsui Chemicals also has a product with a cutoff point of 460nm (no specs or pictures).

http://www.mitsui-chem.co.jp/special...iew_v05_en.pdf
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Light source is OTT Light, full spectrum bulb used for color and hue matching. Paper is Advantage Premium Multi-System Brightness 96 (157 whiteness).

Attachment 12167
    Looks like an excellent product. It defeats the primary complaints of these products. Spectral analysis vs the other available alternatives will be revealing. There is much research to be done. My opinion is that it's safer to experiment with lens technology than to experiment with our kids. The youth of today will doubtless receive significantly higher amounts of HEV light during their lifetimes than the generations that preceded them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For more information on TheraBlue Lenses please click: TheraBlue Lenses

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The color of the TheraBlue Lens looks a lot like Prevencia, minus the purple color. Maybe like a transitions indoor ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    The color of the TheraBlue Lens looks a lot like Prevencia, minus the purple color. Maybe like a transitions indoor ?
    I saw it two days ago. It does indeed look like an unactivated Transitions lens. Much much less noticeable than Prevencia.

Thread Information