Thread: Yellow Tinted Computer Glasses

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yellow Tinted Computer Glasses

What is everyone's opinion on Yellow lenses for computer glasses? Worth it or a Gimmick?

-Dan

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do not think it as a gimmick. Lens tints have multiple purposes to match varying situations and activities. Yellow and Amber tints do have an effect on Blue light emitted from computer screens, tablets, etc.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Back in the day we used a ton of Kalichrome, Hazemaster, Novial, and Super Protex lenses. As these lenses emphasized transmission in the sodium D range they were use on dark foggy days to brighten the background. They were favored by hunters and target shooters and for night driving. Today, if you visit the rifle range at Quantico or Parris Island at the crack of dawn you will see hundreds of pairs in use. They were also cosmetic favorites among the pot smoking Hippies particularly in 68 eye metal octagon frames. Far out, man!

I cant vouch for their efficacy at the computer.
    Last edited by rbaker; 08-01-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Anything that absorbs blue light will work better the reflecting it by the new AR coatings, because what is absorbed is gone, while reflection is only a partial solution.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've been reviewing some of the science on this subject, and yes, I think it's been pretty well established that certain blue wavelengths can harm the macular cells which may lead to early macular degeneration, which is not reversible. So after 40 years of practice, this optometric ship is slowly turning toward recommending some level of blue protection for anyone who uses a digital video device within 15 inches of their eyes for more than 10 minutes a day. I'm working on a lens that will help AND be cosmetically acceptable, but for those who don't mind crazy looking lenses, the heavy yellow tints like the Blue Tech are available for a reasonably high level of protection. At this time I recommend putting a normal anti-reflection coating on them, but nothing that reflects blue from the backside (no additional UV protection is needed for these lenses).

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    And I'm also recommending eating at least one whole egg per week. I'm also convinced that zeaxanthin is needed in our diet for macular health, and egg yolks are the highest source for this micronutrient. For vegans, load up on the paprika and/or the yellow corn. Forget the vitamins that add it. They have a miniscule amount that is not worth the money.

Thread Information