Thread: More Assimilation

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

More Assimilation

I was on vacation last week and didn't hear about this til today. Looks like Lux is speeding the pace of Oakley assimilation just a week prior to shutting down the Arnette offices in the U.S. Resistance is futile. http://www.shop-eat-surf.com/2015/07...uts-at-oakley/

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Luxottica cut a significant number of jobs at Oakley ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post

I was on vacation last week and didn't hear about this til today. Looks like Lux is speeding the pace of Oakley assimilation just a week prior to shutting down the Arnette offices in the U.S. Resistance is futile. http://www.shop-eat-surf.com/2015/07/luxottica-implements-big-job-cuts-at-oakley/
    By TIFFANY MONTGOMERY
    July 17, 2015 9:10 AM

Editor's note: Updated with a statement from Luxottica at 10:20 a.m.
    Luxottica cut a significant number of jobs at Oakley Thursday as the company moves to integrate Oakley more closely into its corporate structure.
    I am told that the company eliminated more than 100 jobs, including many Oakley veterans. Some put the number much higher. A significant number of employees also had their jobs changed, from what I understand.
    A Luxottica spokeswoman declined to say how many jobs were eliminated.

Continue at above link ..........................

My prediction is that maybe they are starting a move of the facilities to far east to produce at cheaper rates.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    While I feel bad for long-term Oakley employees who have lost their jobs, I can't say this surprises me particularly. Every time I needed to order something from Oakley, or get a question answered from Oakley, it seemed like the company took a perverse pleasure in insisting that their structures and procedures be different from established frame manufacturer norms for no apparent reason. Their website was a mess of outdated information, with consumers insisting that I special order them discontinued frames, sizes, and colors. I can only imagine that contacting Lux for supply information will be more straightforward. It would have to be.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hee hee, it couldn't happen to a gnarlier bunch of dudes.

What you said, Ange. I will consider carrying Oakley when Lux kneecaps their corporate structure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oakley has been on a massive decline for decades. This shouldn't be news for anyone really. I'm surprised Arnette is still on the table with a pulse. Last I heard (about 17 years back) they were on the way out as well. Smith is also feeling the pain of corporate overlords. Their stock availability has gone to crap over the past 6 months as their home office structure has been destroyed.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Oakley has been on a massive decline for decades. This shouldn't be news for anyone really. I'm surprised Arnette is still on the table with a pulse. Last I heard (about 17 years back) they were on the way out as well. Smith is also feeling the pain of corporate overlords. Their stock availability has gone to crap over the past 6 months as their home office structure has been destroyed.
    For decades?!?! They've only been making sunglasses for 35 years.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope ordering parts becomes more streamlined. I ordered parts for a frame almost two months ago and still have not received them.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oakley is transitioning to leverage their strength: Direct to consumer.

B

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What Barry Said or they are going to try to make a bigger footprint. Luxottica is to smart, they are doing something to increase exposure and increase the bottom line.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    For decades?!?! They've only been making sunglasses for 35 years.
    Decades. Yes. More than 10 years. In fact more than 20. Their first 5 years or so seemed to be their best in terms of quality, as opposed to all the silly "image" and "branding" thrust of later years. Still got to hand it to them - they could sell yellow stank snow to an Eskimo, and make them truly believe they needed it! LOL

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Oakley is transitioning to leverage their strength: Direct to consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by BarrySantini

They have already done so and have displaced WP from first best visited site.

Alexa Traffic Ranks 7,789 2,878

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Let them all commit fratricide.

Buy only from the unknowns that are not part of the "corporate franchise". If customers raise their uncorrected eyebrows, tell them the truth about the Evil Empires trying to control their eye care spending money, then direct them to the glitzy rack of no-name eyewear.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Let them all commit fratricide.

Buy only from the unknowns that are not part of the "corporate franchise". If customers raise their uncorrected eyebrows, tell them the truth about the Evil Empires trying to control their eye care spending money, then direct them to the glitzy rack of no-name eyewear.
    This is exactly what we do. I'm constantly amused by the number of people that still bring up that 60 Minutes story on eyewear about Lux. Lux also shut down a pretty major operation in my town putting more than 200 people out of work. Those folks are never going to buy their products again and it seems like their extended families aren't going to either. We're thinking about putting up a "no-Lux" sticker that would be similar to a no smoking sticker on our front door.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We're thinking about putting up a "no-Lux" sticker that would be similar to a no smoking sticker on our front door.[/QUOTE]
    Where can I get one of those stickers?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSore View Post
    We're thinking about putting up a "no-Lux" sticker that would be similar to a no smoking sticker on our front door.
    Where can I get one of those stickers?[/QUOTE]

We're gonna have to make it. It should be available though eh? :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

B
    Is that what the "vault" is? I had a patient who is a "member of the vault" and ordered oakleys at a discount ($60 each). They were discontinued colors, but still direct to consumer with out us.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oakley Vault is their clearance website to move discontinued product.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Thread Information