Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plastic Ray-Bans on an adult cool or not?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I'd have differ with the general opinion here. I'm on vacay in Cape Cod, and spending time around the pool and Ocean. And I can't think of any other sunglass, for the money, that can be worn on the street, and taken directly into both salt and chlorinated water, rinsed off, and worn as good as new as a glassed-lensed, Ray Ban New Wayfarer, with their secure, heat and chemical resistant nylon frames. $130 retail. Selling them all day long. At that price point, customers just go for them.
    Yessah! The customer and his wallet are the ultimate arbiter of fashion and function not the salesperson. For crying out loud, give the customer what they want and not your cockamamie idea of what you feel is "fashionable."

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    I can't think of any other sunglass, for the money, that can be worn on the street, and taken directly into both salt and chlorinated water, rinsed off, and worn as good as new as a glassed-lensed, Ray Ban New Wayfarer, with their secure, heat and chemical resistant nylon frames. $130 retail. Selling them all day long. At that price point, customers just go for them.
    I can think of more than few alternatives for the same price point, with glass lenses, made of acetate rather than nylon, and have wire core temples.

Alternatively I can purchase that same new wayfarer for about 20% less than what most opticals charge, and have it delivered for free :/

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Yessah! The customer and his wallet are the ultimate arbiter of fashion and function not the salesperson. For crying out loud, give the customer what they want and not your cockamamie idea of what you feel is "fashionable."
    It's not so much about fashion,

But, how do you(or the customer) know what you don't want, if you don't even know it exists?

Serious, somewhat rhetorical question.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd have differ with the general opinion here. I'm on vacay in Cape Cod, and spending time around the pool and Ocean. And I can't think of any other sunglass, for the money, that can be worn on the street, and taken directly into both salt and chlorinated water, rinsed off, and worn as good as new as a glassed-lensed, Ray Ban New Wayfarer, with their secure, heat and chemical resistant nylon frames. $130 retail. Selling them all day long. At that price point, customers just go for them.
    Tell me Mr Santini, with your Pina Colada or whatever refreshing adult beverage in hand, relaxing pool side. Wouldn't you rather be seen in your tiger striped speedo's adorning a pair of Acetate Serengeti's. Just sayin.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Barry, Hope you enjoy your Holidays in Cape Cod

Barry, Hope you enjoy your Holidays in Cape Cod

The B&L RayBan in GF material was sold for the same price back in my Fathers store in Switzerland in the 1950 and 60s, and we could not get enough of them in Summer.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post
    I can think of more than few alternatives for the same price point, with glass lenses, made of acetate rather than nylon, and have wire core temples.

Alternatively I can purchase that same new wayfarer for about 20% less than what most opticals charge, and have it delivered for free :/

That's the point of nylon: Acetate is not well suited for these environments.
    And wire cores are unnecessary with thicker nylon
    . And today, you cannot worry about who's cheaper. You only have to worry about how to position yourself to make Them want to by them from you.

It's not so much about fashion,

But, how do you(or the customer) know what you don't want, if you don't even know it exists?

Serious, somewhat rhetorical question.
    there.

Thread Information