Thread: Training a COT to become an optician

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Training a COT to become an optician

The state of optician education is sad, I interview 10 and hire 1 "optician"

Im wondering if anyone has tried to train a COT to become an optician, I don't want to hear stories about how they won't leave or make too much money.

Does anyone have any experience cross training the 2? I'm hoping with a COT certification I can create opticians that have an understanding of something more then bend behind the ear to tighten.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have COT's here with our OMD's. None make what our Opticians make. As far as training, I can train most anyone optics. I can't train personality.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    The state of optician education is sad, I interview 10 and hire 1 "optician"
    I saw this, and thought I had written this in my sleep! It's a recurring theme.

I have mentioned that I am starting an apprentice "program", whereby I will recruit high school students, train them (mostly classroom setting), and those that seem to grasp it, and are good with it, continue on with as employees and future opticians. I can't think of any other way. Unfortunately, I have also take to advertising on Craigslist for "jewelry counter" sale associates, in the hope of finding an applicant who knows what a firm handshake, eye contact, and a shirt with a collar means. It's that bad...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

I have mentioned that I am starting an apprentice "program", whereby I will recruit high school students, train them (mostly classroom setting), and those that seem to grasp it, and are good with it, continue on with as employees and future opticians. I can't think of any other way. Unfortunately, I have also take to advertising on Craigslist for "jewelry counter" sale associates, in the hope of finding an applicant who knows what a firm handshake, eye contact, and a shirt with a collar means. It's that bad...
    I find that "Optician" listed on a resume is almost a sure sign of an applicant that is NOT well rounded.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    I find that "Optician" listed on a resume is almost a sure sign of an applicant that is NOT well rounded.
    I am finding that to be the truth as well.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone have any experience cross training the 2? I'm hoping with a COT certification I can create opticians that have an understanding of something more then bend behind the ear to tighten.
    I have had some success in training COT/ techs to dispense and sell. The biggest issue that I have ran across is personality. A good Optician likes to talk to people, they use chit chat to get a good understanding of what the patients’ needs are. A good COT is much more subdued. Their job is to gather data for the doc, and are not very chit chatty about it. as for understanding the Optical end of it, the COT make great technical Opticians, just not good sells people.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem isn't the employee candidate.
    The problem is the employer.
    The employer is looking in all the wrong places and using the wrong motivation to attract the person they need.
    The employer has failed to identify what they need and seek that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm an LDO and CPO. I think being both enhances my ability to do my job.

Occupation
    Idispense, Quit smoking.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

If I were to come out of retirement and foolishly open a retail shop I would do as you are doing. I commend you on this effort. If you can find someone with smarts and desire and are willing to devote enough of your time to "bring them along" you will end up with a superior employee. Next challenge, provide them with a challenging work environment and the benefits to retain them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am wrestling with this.

I am an Optician. It is something I definitely place on my resume as a title. It goes along with having my ABO certification. To hear or read this lament, that it might dissuade other well respected professionals from hiring me because of having that title is disheartening.

What skill(s) are lacking? Is it the influx of jewelry counter one day, "optician" the next that is causing this dearth of unqualified souls? Are bad habits that full ingrained that it is easier to start over from square one?

I admire Johns and his program. I can see the global picture on how this will not only help his business, but possibly his community. So please, don't take it the wrong way. I am just trying to place my head around why so many ODs and Owner Opticians are having problems finding quality help.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What more do Opticians do today than measure PDs and take seg heights? What skills are you talking about that you have gained from taking the NOCE? An ABO certification takes very little effort, and it not a true example of professional-level learning. Until Opticians are required to better prepare themselves we are no longer relevant, and certainly not attracting the best and the brightest.......we attract folks who enter the field because it is easy. I have been shouting about this issue for 25 years, and we continue to dumb down every year, despite the warnings from me and others.
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 06-29-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If the COT has the science, but needs to develop more interpersonal relationship/friendship skills, introduce Dale Carnegie or Zig Zigler courses and books.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Idispense, Quit smoking.
    If the employer needs a salesperson then look for a salesperson not an optician

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    anyone else notice a trend of awesome "salesmen" coming into industry, working for a few years then leaving, due to either:
    incompetence in optics/patient care
    too much up selling, not enough medical suggestions
    difficulties with other employees(due to salesmen mentality)
    no room for advancement
    low pay in comparison to other sales jobs

Most of all, in my opinion is lack of passion for optics and patient care.
    You can only b.s. people so much until you get a reputation for up selling, and double talking.

Occupation
    I'm not looking for a sales person or sales people, I look for ABO-AC or ABOM type employees.

Instead I get "Opticians" that have been doing 6 months of on the job training the same way for 20 years that expect the pay of a 20 year veteran.

If you've been working in an industry for 20 years and I can train a high school student to do 90% of your job in 6 months, You need to re-evaluate your title.

Most opticians can't do a simple vertex compensation in their head

Most Opticians cant tell me which aniseikonic eye will experience base up prism and which eye will experience base down at reading.

Most opticians can't tell why a +4.00-4.00x180 would be thicker then a +4.00-4.00x90 in most frames.

Most opticians can't tell why a high minus with BI prism and a high plus with BO prism thinner.

Most opticians can't even pick a base curve.

The only threat from the internet is the patient not seeing any value in the service experience at the B&M locations.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can do all of that stuff you said Braheem except for the vertex calculations in my head, except for maybe a -10D... thats what opticampus is for

Your post has made me reevaluate my thinking on getting my ABO-AC. I should probably do that.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I can do all of that stuff you said Braheem except for the vertex calculations in my head, except for maybe a -10D... thats what opticampus is for

Your post has made me reevaluate my thinking on getting my ABO-AC. I should probably do that.
    Short cut to compensation...

Square it and divide by 100

Occupation
    In order to succeed in todays eye care vineyard a forward-thinking employer must institute his own training program. His reliance on the existing education and licensing qualifications will merely place him firmly in the middle of the dog eat dog pack and not in a position of leadership.

The entrepreneur optician must learn to stand on his own two feet and not rely on governments or institution to supply the talent required for his success.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps I am of a dying breed. However when I started in this industry, I was hired to be a lab rat. I did not "need" to know how to perform any of the calculations, etc, because we had software for it. I sought out the knowledge because I was curious, wanted to perform my job better, and firmly believe you can't effectively troubleshoot an issue if you don't understand the concepts behind it.

I may have been in this industry for over 20 years, and I still feel like I am learning new things everyday. I know I have a few things I am set in my ways on, but I am open to new ideas. Its about the big picture.

I would like to think there are others out there like me. Ones who want to call this a profession. A career. Not just a job or "work." I have seen my fair share of bad opticians, and a few mediocre.. but I can't help but think about how us old timers on one hand lament about the state of our profession where one can work a jewelry counter one day, and be an optician the next.. then actively recruit to do just that. We put Lenscrafters and other companies down for it.. but its ok for us.

Now each of you individuals are ones I would trust to teach and thoroughly train in more than just the knowledge needed to get the job done 90% of the time.. however is it any different that what the corporations are doing everyday?
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Instead I get "Opticians" that have been doing 6 months of on the job training the same way for 20 years that expect the pay of a 20 year veteran.

If you've been working in an industry for 20 years and I can train a high school student to do 90% of your job in 6 months, You need to re-evaluate your title.
    sad truth, I've met/worked with more than a handful of opticians that have been state licensed for over 10 years and don't know how to take a seg/oc height, or use a manual lensometer for that matter.

It makes me die just a little inside, everytime I see an order without a specified fitting height.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We dumb down every year! The apprenticeships touted here are no longer available, because of that "dumbing down", and in fact one must understand that the training received in those apprenticeships is based on the knowledge of one individual who is considered to be good at what they do. Today, the best Optician is the one who sells the most, and they are the ones doing the training. Sales are very important...... but we must be good at recommending and selling appropriate products and services, and this is really not working out well. Until Opticians are required to have a consistent, formal education (and before you shout it) which includes a hand-on component we will never again be relevant. Some, like Dick, feel it is too late. He may be right, but I choose to keep moving forward versus giving up. Apprenticeship was long-ago ended in EVERY other health-related field, and it is time we did. Now......if you do not feel we are health-related, fine, but vision care is important, and an Optician plays a major role in good vision......or not so good. If you see yourself in a retail business only, it should not matter. Those who seek to learn and improve should be applauded, not seen as a threat to your existence. Until we all are of similar minds and backgrounds, we will continue along this path. It is all up to us.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a COT and And optician. Knowing skills both positions require makes me better in the other position. Each position requires a different state of mind, and a person will only be sucessful at it if they understand this and are able to adapt to the position they are doing that day.

Thread Information