Thread: Comparing Zeiss Solaractiv self tinting lenses to Transitions

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Comparing Zeiss Solaractiv self tinting lenses to Transitions

A friend out of state recently ordered new progressives and I asked him what he got. Of course he had no idea! So he checked. He thought he got Transitions but they are actually Zeiss Solaractiv lenses which I admit I have never heard of. Still not sure what progressive he got but it has HDV so I figure that means it's digital.

Can an anyone share with me their opinion of Solaractiv lenses and how they compare to Transitions?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've heard of their Photofusion, is this different or something new?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SolarActiv is JCPenny's brand of photochromic lens. It could be a rebranded Zeiss Photofusion.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have to believe that's PhotoFusion. I have PF in one pair. It's comparable to Transitions-VI, albeit a slightly purpler grey when activated.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Keep in mind all of JCPenny's lenses are full backside surface, the Instinctive, the Sola One and some low end Zeiss offering as their premium - they could be using absolutely any photochromic.

Between JCPenny's and seeing that stupid Zeiss man holding his coating destroying wipes at Walmart, its almost embarrassing to carry any Zeiss products. At least Essilor doesn't let their brands cross over like that.

EDIT: sorry that was mean to JCPenny, they actually seem to carry decent products, I just get real annoyed at Zeiss Man.
    Last edited by Tallboy; 06-23-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    He got them at BJs, does JC Penny own them?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    He got them at BJs, does JC Penny own them?
    Nope but US vision does own both optical "brands"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    A friend out of state recently ordered new progressives and I asked him what he got. Of course he had no idea! So he checked. He thought he got Transitions but they are actually Zeiss Solaractiv lenses which I admit I have never heard of. Still not sure what progressive he got but it has HDV so I figure that means it's digital.

Can an anyone share with me their opinion of Solaractiv lenses and how they compare to Transitions?
    I used to work at JC Penney, a while ago. I'm not proud of it, but it's where I got my start I guess, or my co-op hours. We had a lot of patients who had trouble adapting to the SolaHDV. We also had a good number of patients unhappy with the AR (Teflon), and with the SolaActiv Product. To be honest, though, I think most of the time it was the patient regretting that they had ever come to Penney's in the first place.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanDavis View Post
    I used to work at JC Penney, a while ago. I'm not proud of it, but it's where I got my start I guess, or my co-op hours. We had a lot of patients who had trouble adapting to the SolaHDV. We also had a good number of patients unhappy with the AR (Teflon), and with the SolaActiv Product. To be honest, though, I think most of the time it was the patient regretting that they had ever come to Penney's in the first place.
    That's interesting. Teflon is a well-respected AR. I've never had a complaint.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Welcome to the world of PhotoFusion® by ZEISS. .................................

Welcome to the world of PhotoFusion® by ZEISS.

The eye care innovation 2011 – PhotoFusion®, the ZEISS high- and mid-index self-tinting lenses, react up to 20 % faster* than previous photochromic lenses by ZEISS.

PhotoFusion® by ZEISS is ideal for everyone who wears glasses and especially for eyes which are sensitive to changing light. On the following pages you can learn all about the many benefits of ZEISS self-tinting lenses. PhotoFusion®represents a further milestone in the history of the visionary firm of ZEISS, a history going all the way back to 1846.

How satisfied consumers and opticians are with PhotoFusion®is shown by the following statements:

Consumers say**

• 9 out of 10 consumers rate the vision quality of PhotoFusion® as very good / good.
    • 4 out of 5 consumers are very satisfied / satisfied with PhotoFusion®.
    • 83 % of the respondents would recommend PhotoFusion® to their friends or colleagues.

source: ========> http://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/en_...sion/home.html

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    That's interesting. Teflon is a well-respected AR. I've never had a complaint.
    Me neither. I highly doubt they are using the Teflon Elite, I'm sure its a much older greasier iteration.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Me neither. I highly doubt they are using the Teflon Elite, I'm sure its a much older greasier iteration.
    It is a bit greasy to the touch. I prefer PureCoat.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    This was my assumption. There was often a large variance when it came to the look of the AR on the lens as well, which I assumed was a quality control issue. I will say that the SolarActiv on the bi-focal lenses was noticeably bad. It needed a lot of sunlight to get the change going.

Thread Information