Thread: High Index Sun Lens question

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

High Index Sun Lens question

Just a little something going through my head on a Monday morning here. The sun lens options that I am familiar with cut off at 167. I assume there aren't any polarized 174 options available to me since it's probably not a cost effective option for lens manufacturers but why no tint options? If it's all about the hard coat absorbing the tint in high index then why not include 174 as a regular option for sun lenses?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've never seen a 1.74 polarized lens either. I guess it's just in too-small demand to justify manufacturing them. I'd wear one if it was available.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Just a little something going through my head on a Monday morning here. The sun lens options that I am familiar with cut off at 167. I assume there aren't any polarized 174 options available to me since it's probably not a cost effective option for lens manufacturers but why no tint options? If it's all about the hard coat absorbing the tint in high index then why not include 174 as a regular option for sun lenses?
    Polarized blanks cut off at a 1.67 index, however tintable 1.70 is available.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Polarized blanks cut off at a 1.67 index, however tintable 1.70 is available.
    But why not 174? Is the hard coat they need to use on a 174 impervious to tints? What would make it different? How would they be able to AR coat it if it didn't require similar types of hardcoating for the AR to adhere to?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    But why not 174? Is the hard coat they need to use on a 174 impervious to tints? What would make it different? How would they be able to AR coat it if it didn't require similar types of hardcoating for the AR to adhere to?
    Tinting is done through absorption with help from tintable hard coats. AR is done via an adhesion process which only affects the surface.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Tinting is done through absorption with help from tintable hard coats. AR is done via an adhesion process which only affects the surface.
    Doesn't the AR have to adhere to a hardcoat? You're saying it adheres to the actual material itself?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    OK, turns out E has it available as the Lineis. I'll think about different things now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Doesn't the AR have to adhere to a hardcoat? You're saying it adheres to the actual material itself?
    Both methods are done.

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    1 Mr174 is no tintable materials, so you must use tintable hard coat... which is available only in 1.5 index. So you have a lot of newton ring.
    2 The heat distortion temperature is 78°c (172°f) for Mr174, this temperature is too low for tintable hard coating, If you warm 95° (203°f) you have hard coat cracks

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauro.Airoldi View Post
    1 Mr174 is no tintable materials, so you must use tintable hard coat... which is available only in 1.5 index. So you have a lot of newton ring.
    2 The heat distortion temperature is 78°c (172°f) for Mr174, this temperature is too low for tintable hard coating, If you warm 95° (203°f) you have hard coat cracks
    How do you think they tint these? http://www.essilorpro.co.uk/SiteColl...20Brochure.pdf

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    It can be done probably at low temperature (<80°c) with long production times .
    It must be said that Essilor pigments are definitely high quality

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

ust a little something going through my head on a Monday morning here. The sun lens options that I am familiar with cut off at 167. I assume there aren't any polarized 174 options available to me since it's probably not a cost effective option for lens manufacturers but why no tint options? If it's all about the hard coat absorbing the tint in high index then why not include 174 as a regular option for sun lenses?

Looks like you people never looked at Micro Tints that tint most lens materials up to 90% absorbtion in just 5 to 8 minutes.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Looks like you people never looked at Micro Tints that tint most lens materials up to 90% absorbtion in just 5 to 8 minutes.
    Have you tested 1.74? Right now we cannot tint 1.74 at our lab; they only use a dip coating on 1.74 because it comes in with no hard coats.
    Honestly it is so heavy and the optics are good at best; we use 1.67 with almost no 1.74 unless a -10.00+ with cutting off the thickness on the edger.

Occupation

Blue Jumper We have just run some tests last week .......................

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

Have you tested 1.74? Right now we cannot tint 1.74 at our lab; they only use a dip coating on 1.74 because it comes in with no hard coats.
    Honestly it is so heavy and the optics are good at best; we use 1.67 with almost no 1.74 unless a -10.00+ with cutting off the thickness on the edger.

We have just run some tests last week, for a major lens manufacturer, I can not name, in faster and darker tinting tests, and did not encounter one problem with any of the different materials, from Poly (which we know) to whatever else they use and gave us for trials.

We reached 82 to 85% absorption level in 8 minutes on Poly where the standard dyes, usually used in optical labs, take up to 4 hours to reach a 45% maximum absorption level.

That seems to be a giant step forward to reach a color twice as dark in a 30th of the time it takes to get half way the conventional way.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please check on 1.74; that is needed in the industry.

Occupation
    So far we have had no chance to knowingly try to test-tint any 1.74 materials. Would like to try it, coated and uncoated.

Thread Information