Thread: Davis Vision?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Davis Vision?

Can I get your experiences and advice of becoming a provider for Davis Vision. I have been approached to set up a "Tower" in the office and need your opinion of working with them Thank you for any help you can provide.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Re: Davis Vision?

Mel said:
    Can I get your experiences and advice of becoming a provider for Davis Vision. I have been approached to set up a "Tower" in the office and need your opinion of working with them Thank you for any help you can provide.

Who and what is Davis Vision?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Davis Vision provides optical benefits, (examination, eyewear and contact lenses) to mainly union groups. I guess down in Florida you are not a provider, but in the New York area they are quite a large group. The optical community up here know who I am referring to.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Mel,

Davis is actually fairly big here in FL. as well, not as big as say VSP but growing.
    I have probably 20 or so friends (OD's and opticians) who gave them a try.. not saying how many stuck it out but more stopped than kept using it..alot depends on the price range of your practice and they ALL hated the contacts part, they were responsible for all the fitting and such but they reordered through Davis, they did not like that part because people would over look the re-exam, also some of the guys who woere more towards the upper end of the retail spectrum didn't like the prices all that well...
    I didn't ask about the reimbursement or how they all felt about the money, but I think it depends more on your area and what you have going on.. here in FL. it is not working so well for the people I knew that had it.. I would be more interested in the ones in your area, you could always ask for a list of providers for your area and make some phone calls.. they may even have a list of providers on the Davis Vision web site and you could contact people that way to find out..

depends on the circumstances and location

Jeff Trail

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

I have dealt with them in the past. In CT they have a program called Husky (for children without insurance) and Davis administers the vision aspect of things. The unions are also very big with Davis. They have improved their frame selections but their reimbursment is far too low to consider because we are an independant optical. They just give a nominal dispensing fee.

In the past it took 2+ weeks to get the glasses and if they came back out of tolerance we had to send them back. This would have people on our backs because it could take over 3 weeks to get their glasses. Many providers in our area have dropped them.

Members have been very frustrated trying to find providers around here.

-Brendan

Bad address email on file
    The office i work at takes davis vision and at one time i thought everything about the plan was horrible. Davis vision has improved. The frames arent always the trendist but i've found if you get one davis vision patient who is happy they go back an tell the whole office or co. then the word of mouth ref. come in. the ordering and auth process in all done via internet which i like but the davis vision lab isnt always up to par. i just relay to the patients this has to all go thru the insurance co and the process can take up to 3 weeks. hope this helps

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where in NY are you?
    What unions did they offer you?

Usualy they dont want to put you on the whole panel! They give you a couple (usualy not the best). I have been dealing with them for 6 years.

It all depends how you look at it!
    Do u have a free doctors time?
    Do u have a space to fit more non paying customers in your practice?

If you think you are going to upgrade them you can forget about it !
    They give them pretty good desighner frames.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BTW
    Do we have anybody from Davis Vision on our board?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lenny,
    Thank you for your reply. We are on Long Island and receiving so much mixed reaction from existinmg providers as to reimbursement and the quality of their work. We have helped unhappy customers from them, but of course they are only telling us the horror stories, where we will not hear from the satisfied. In short, we have an upscale practice, would just like to do more business does anyone suggest Davis as this fill?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Give it a shot......

Mel,
    You're on Long Island, They're on Long Island, why not give them a shot? I've not gotten involved with them due to eligibility issues, but I've heard they are a pretty upfront outfit from mutal friends who are located on the Island.

My experience with Secure Horizons (Tufts Plan) has been mostly positive.The practice where I sublet is a source of referrals and Secure Horizons has also referred me business. It has been a sucessful fill in at my shop.

Lets face it, we are never going to be happy with what they offer for reimbursement, but on the other hand the customer is never going to be completely happy with what they are getting at such a reduced cost.There is always the chance for a multiple sale, and son't forget the family business from a satisfied customer.

My advice is to try it out-

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At one time, there were 6 Davis Vision providers in my area. I held off to see how it went. Today, the closest provider is 29 miles away, and 2 major companies switched to VSP. (Not that VSP is any better, but there must have been something about Davis that the companies didn't like)

Johns

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I belive they also have their OWN stores on the Island!
    Again if they put you on the panel with all the unions that they have and you are in the mid income area in a year you probably will see 20-30 patients a month.
    Will they upgrade to your stuff?
    Probably not ! Too much difference between free and have to pay frame. Davis does not pay you if they get your frame!
    So if you need to fill your doc up and dont need to hire another Doc or Optician just to service them you can try them.
    Also if they aproched you they probably have a lot of members in your area.

BTW who aproched you from Davis.
    They probably your neighbours!:D

Thread Information