Thread: Top 2 On-Line opticals belong to Essilor ...............................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Top 2 On-Line opticals belong to Essilor ...............................

Pros
    Coastal.com includes complimentary UV-protective, anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings on all lenses.

Cons
    It does not offer as many name brands as our other ranked sites do.

The Verdict:
    9.6/10

With its wide selection of frames and number of extras and bonuses that help you save money, Coastal.com is one of the best online eyeglasses sellers.

See all of it at: =============>

Coastal results:

http://eyeglasses-online-review.topt...om-review.html

Frames Direct results:

Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-21-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Pros
    Coastal.com includes complimentary UV-protective, anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings on all lenses.

Cons
    It does not offer as many name brands as our other ranked sites do.

The Verdict:
    9.6/10

With its wide selection of frames and number of extras and bonuses that help you save money, Coastal.com is one of the best online eyeglasses sellers.

See all of it at: =============>

Thanks for sharing another "the sky is falling" post. Many of us do well, and do not worry about your hype that the optical world is ending. Enjoy Naples, and let me know if you want to rent my house out this winter, as I only use it in September.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    If your house is immune to the sky falling, I would up the rent.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post

Thanks for sharing another "the sky is falling" post. Many of us do well, and do not worry about your hype that the optical world is ending. Enjoy Naples, and let me know if you want to rent my house out this winter, as I only use it in September.

The website I have mentioned in my above starting post has the following Alexa ranking:

Global Rank 1,861, and Rank in United States 1,068
    which makes it about the highest ranking I have ever seen in any optical related web publication.

This means that the public checks this type of websites before making a move to purchase from here or there.

The sky has not fallen yet, and you are doing well..........that is good for you, and you can continue to support the company that wants to put you out of business, directly as well as indirectly.
    e

......and yes I own some rental properties in one of the nicest spots in Florida for the last 25 years and do not need to rent any others as I am always booked solid for the following winters 12 month ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post

If your house is immune to the sky falling, I would up the rent.
    Unless there is a bad hurricane with tornados, creating total destruction there is no need to up the rent, and if it happens it is too late.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    The sky isn't falling, but the industry sure is. The aftermath will affect those exactly like yourself.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Expert glasses adjustments may one day make up a large part of my charged services. If everyone goes to buy online they will need fittings somewhere. All of a sudden those will cost much, much more. The market will drive it that way, none of us can control it, only react - when the market pushes us in that direction. For now, I'm okay.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1. CL's have been sold online for 20 years.
    2. CL's are a commodity, not a custom made device.
    3. In 20 years, online still only represents around 15% of CL sales.
    4. Does anyone really think eye glass sales online will surpass CL sales online (in percentages)?

If you answer "yes" to #4, I've got a nice pointy tinfoil hat to sell you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alternate scenario:
    Fitting Data is finally aggregated. Bridge contour and size is defined for the 85th percentile.
    Nylon frame are employed. No spring hinges
    Rubberized material used at bridge and temples
    Occipital fit defined.

Voila!

Little adjustment, if any needed.

Don't hold your breath on those expert fitting fees.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it's price based alone, who needs online glasses when you can go get two pair of glasses for 69 bucks AND get a free exam thrown in!!!

http://www.americasbest.com/save-mon...glasses-offer/

Occupation

Blue Jumper Ecommerce in Europe: €423.8 billion in 2014 ...........

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post

4. Does anyone really think eye glass sales online will surpass CL sales online (in percentages)?

If you answer "yes" to #4, I've got a nice pointy tinfoil hat to sell you.

There was an increase of on line sales of 14.3 % in 2014 in Europe and going up.
    There is an interesting publication you should look at to see the trend ..........

Ecommerce in Europe: €423.8 billion in 2014

Things are still going well for the ecommerce industry in Europe. In total, B2C ecommerce sales in Europe increased by 14.3%, reaching 423.8 billion euros last year. The growth rate did decrease a little compared to the year before, but it still shows double digits.

Continue reading
    Posted June 17, 2015 by Staff Ecommerce News.
    Filled under category
    Statistics with tags Europe

see at: http://ecommercenews.eu/category/statistics

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, I'm not saying online glasses will go away. But their percentage of market penetration will be limited. Also, their are many micro-markets in eyewear delivery, Luxury to economy along with medical needs based (diplopia, high powers, ect.). Online sales will hurt more of the discounters and mediocrity providers than anybody.

Glasses are very much more a personal wearing experience than contact lenses. Contacts are also a commodity just like Tide detergent. Tide is Tide where ever it's sold. Glasses are not a commodity and will not surpass CL sales as in percentages sold thru online locations. My point being is that in 20 years CL sales are still mostly (85%) sold through B&M's. How and why will glasses surpass CL sales (as a percentage) online? The answer is, they won't.

And as noted in post #9, if cost is the prime motivating factor for consumers, where online can you get 2 pairs of glasses AND a free eye exam for 69 bucks? (plus all of the free, in person adjustments you want!!) There are *cheap* providers everywhere, even in little bitty towns. Cheap glasses have been around for a long time, and that segment of the market is not going away. But it's also not the only micro-market or even the dominate market in eyewear delivery.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, I'm not saying online glasses will go away. But their percentage of market penetration will be limited. Also, their are many micro-markets in eyewear delivery, Luxury to economy along with medical needs based (diplopia, high powers, ect.). Online sales will hurt more of the discounters and mediocrity providers than anybody.

Glasses are very much more a personal wearing experience than contact lenses. Contacts are also a commodity just like Tide detergent. Tide is Tide where ever it's sold. Glasses are not a commodity and will not surpass CL sales as in percentages sold thru online locations. My point being is that in 20 years CL sales are still mostly (85%) sold through B&M's. How and why will glasses surpass CL sales (as a percentage) online? The answer is, they won't.

And as noted in post #9, if cost is the prime motivating factor for consumers, where online can you get 2 pairs of glasses AND a free eye exam for 69 bucks? (plus all of the free, in person adjustments you want!!) There are *cheap* providers everywhere, even in little bitty towns. Cheap glasses have been around for a long time, and that segment of the market is not going away. But it's also not the only micro-market or even the dominate market in eyewear delivery.
    +1 How can you argue with a cute little avatar who looks like Woody Allen's kid.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    +1 How can you argue with a cute little avatar who looks like Woody Allen's kid.

My secrets out. I'm the love child of Woody and Mrs. Magoo.......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mrs magoo.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	12068

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My secrets out. I'm the love child of Woody and Mrs. Magoo.......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mrs magoo.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	12068
    Your love mom is rocking that Chanel original. If your lucky she'll leave it to you in her will. $$$$ or is that a C. Roth copy $
    Last edited by Paul Smith LDO; 06-17-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris,
    If you are not a half-full kind of guy than they do not exist!
    We love you but there is only of you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    It's not about selling one's soul to survive, its about making the right business decisions and planning for future survival and not relying on those companies that are also now your competitors. Although it seems you've reached your pinnacle goal of success, its rather saddening to hear you don't really care anymore about what happens going forward. That seems rather selfish to me since good successful experienced business people need to pass the torch to the next crop of entrepreneurs.

The industry was built on successful entrepreneurial individuals and unfortunately now has become more corporate, devious and cut throat. I admire Chris's reports; whether one thinks its optimistic or pessimistic, its not fear mongering, its factual and he always manages to provide details that authenticate the rhetoric what most are too naïve to believe is actually happening. The large corporate companies have changed their business models folks, and it no longer includes independents.

Kudos Chris, keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Steve Machol; 06-23-2015 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Removed quote of deleted post

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

The industry was built on successful entrepreneurial individuals and unfortunately now has become more corporate, devious and cut throat. I admire Chris's reports; whether one thinks its optimistic or pessimistic, its not fear mongering, its factual and he always manages to provide details that authenticate the rhetoric what most are too naïve to believe is actually happening. The large corporate companies have changed their business models folks, and it no longer includes independents.

Kudos Chris, keep up the good work.

Lab Insight............Thank you for the encouraging words, I appreciate a positive answer once in a while.

On my last thread I just started an hour ago, ( Mass Production in the Lens Industry ) I found a website of a Belgian Company that supplies fully automated optical labs and has already installed quite a few, or parts on this continent plus one more coming now that I know of.

You can see the existing ones at: http://www.ar.be/en/references .
    The List goes from Walmart in Dallas to Pech Optical.

These labs can, in my opinion deal with a monstrous amount of work using a very small work force, as they are just about fully automated. It all has surfaced unexpected.

Knowing this, our online optical retail industry might, or already has found a new source of supply, at which point glasses could be made in the same pot for B&M stores as well as for on-line opticals.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Lab Insight............Thank you for the encouraging words, I appreciate a positive answer once in a while.

On my last thread I just started an hour ago, ( Mass Production in the Lens Industry ) I found a website of a Belgian Company that supplies fully automated optical labs and has already installed quite a few, or parts on this continent plus one more coming now that I know of.

You can see the existing ones at: http://www.ar.be/en/references .
    The List goes from Walmart in Dallas to Pech Optical.

These labs can, in my opinion deal with a monstrous amount of work using a very small work force, as they are just about fully automated. It all has surfaced unexpected.

Knowing this, our online optical retail industry might, or already has found a new source of supply, at which point glasses could be made in the same pot for B&M stores as well as for on-line opticals.
    Great find and proof there is still companies that support and align with the independents. Interesting to see that Wal-Mart now has their own lab and direct control of the entire supply chain. Perhaps the pendulum is swinging the other way and back to retail and away from the web?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Great find and proof there is still companies that support and align with the independents. Interesting to see that Wal-Mart now has their own lab and direct control of the entire supply chain. Perhaps the pendulum is swinging the other way and back to retail and away from the web?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hystory

Wal-Mart's Optical Lab Shut-Down Strikes Nerve Posted: 04/29/2009 5:12 am EDT Updated: 05/25/2011 1:10 pm EDT

Regulators in the Buckeye state revealed that they had their eye on one of Wal-Mart's 4 optical labs in the country, and were looking to see if the retailer had violated the terms of its subsidy agreement with the state.

see all of it ======> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-nor..._b_180449.html

Walmart had already 4 large labs in the USA by 2009. and then shut down the Ohio lab as a surprise, laying off.

Them having a highly automatized lab in Dallas does not mean they will be friendlier and the pendulum will swing back. Pendulums usually only swing forward.

Walmart will do what is good for Walmart only.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pendulums usually only swing forward.
    I'm pretty sure thats not the nature of Pendulums, whether they are the pendulums of public opinion or literal pendulums.

Occupation

Blue Jumper the regular motion of pendulums was used for timekeeping .................

From its examination in around 1602 by Galileo Galilei, the regular motion of pendulums was used for timekeeping, and was the world's most accurate timekeeping technology until the 1930s.[2] Pendulums are used to regulate pendulum clocks, and are used in scientific instruments such as accelerometers and seismometers. Historically they were used as gravimeters to measure the acceleration of gravity in geophysical surveys, and even as a standard of length. The word 'pendulum' is new Latin, from the Latin pendulus, meaning 'hanging'.[3]

As a pendulum was a timekeeping technology it would never go backwards as time only goes forward and never will go the other way. Very simple explanation.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a pendulum was a timekeeping technology it would never go backwards as time only goes forward and never will go the other way. Very simple explanation.
    Galileo realized that a pendulum took the same amount of time to swing back and forth no matter how far a distance it was swinging, for short distances it traveled slowly over a certain amount of time, for long distances it traveled more quickly for that same time interval. It is because of this time interval being exactly the same no matter the distance the pendulum was swinging (back and forth) that harnessing this back and forth movement to say - tick a gear in a clock hand for instance - was of such benefit to things such as clock making.

Maybe it would be easier for you to think of a piano's metronome- it swings back and forth controlling the timing of the music being played - however the motion of metronome itself is "back and forth".

Thus is the reason we use terms such as "the pendulum of political control" etc.
    This has nothing to do with the online optical world though.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

This has nothing to do with the online optical world though.
    That last statement is totally right.

However in Galileo's time there was no on-line opticals to worry about ...........but there is now.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Expert glasses adjustments may one day make up a large part of my charged services. If everyone goes to buy online they will need fittings somewhere. All of a sudden those will cost much, much more. The market will drive it that way, none of us can control it, only react - when the market pushes us in that direction. For now, I'm okay.
    I had a woman come in this afternoon requesting her "sedge" height and "eye distance". I would have helped her out, except she didn't have the frame she wanted (from online) and I'm not about to start guessing seg heights. Though, my Dr. probably wouldn't have wanted me giving out stuff like that anyway.

Thread Information