Thread: Can anyone tell me about this Ray Ban buy-in?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Can anyone tell me about this Ray Ban buy-in?

We have Ray ban ophthalmic frames. Ray ban rep just told us that we had to buy at least 20 Ray Ban sunglass frames before the end of the year or else we could not go with ray ban any longer.

Anybody hear anything about this?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ed, it doesn’t surprise me. A lot of luxury brands have done that for years, although I would not consider Ray Ban a luxury brand. We ran into the same issue a few years ago with Gucci. I dropped them like a hot potato. I would say it is a round-a-bout way of sending more patients to their retail locations. That being said the rep will tell you it’s the company’s way of keeping the brand exclusive.
    Paul:cheers:

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Coach did the same to me many years back. I did great with the ophthalmic, they required a 10 frame sun buy-in.

Sold 5 of the 10 in one week.

With Rayban, I probably sell 15 a month ophthalmic, only 2 sun. But summer is starting.

So If they require the 20 sun, buy them now.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unless you have the space for that many extra frames/suns and want them, I would pack the inventory up for the next rep visit and say have a nice day, you have lost my business. See where that leads, cause I think the rep will cave. I am the manager of the frame boards, not my manufacturers, and have that clearly understood at the very first buy. If you move a lot of their products, it's in the reps best interest to leave you as you are and continue to collect a nice commision rather than loose you as a client and loose the sales. Stand Firm!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    Unless you have the space for that many extra frames/suns and want them, I would pack the inventory up for the next rep visit and say have a nice day, you have lost my business. See where that leads, cause I think the rep will cave. I am the manager of the frame boards, not my manufacturers, and have that clearly understood at the very first buy. If you move a lot of their products, it's in the reps best interest to leave you as you are and continue to collect a nice commision rather than loose you as a client and loose the sales. Stand Firm!
    ditto
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had the opposite Problem. We carry the sunglasses and had to pick up the eyewear line. We are using it for more kid and teen frames, and generally staying away from the adult sizes. As for sunglasses, I like the ray ban line for sunglasses because they are reasonably cheap and you can utilize insurance with them, unlike Maui and Oakley, which you cannot.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by acesrwylde View Post
    We had the opposite Problem. We carry the sunglasses and had to pick up the eyewear line. We are using it for more kid and teen frames, and generally staying away from the adult sizes. As for sunglasses, I like the ray ban line for sunglasses because they are reasonably cheap and you can utilize insurance with them, unlike Maui and Oakley, which you cannot.

you can't utilize Oakley and Maui Jim with what insurance?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Curious, if you carry Ray Ban ophthalmic why wouldn't you carry the suns. I used to carry their sun line until they wanted me to carry their ophthalmic(CR%P) in my opinion. I was also a Lux Sun Center for years, which was to preclude me from what I ran into and what are now experiencing. No matter how attractive they seem on the surface, one day they are going to bring crackers into bed and you are going to have to decide if you are willing to put up with the crumbs, it's your bed.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    you can't utilize Oakley and Maui Jim with what insurance?
    You cannot utilize a patient's full VSP benifits with oakley sun or Maui Jim. You also cannot use Eyemed at all now with Maui Jim or Oakley Sun.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    20 sun over the course of a year, that is 1-2 a month. I would carry the few styles the teeners are all asking for, and offer a deal on them with a complete years supply of contacts.

That's if the ophthalmic do perform for you. If the ophthalmic doesn't.. you should be getting rid of them anyway.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Thread Information