Thread: Nose pads

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

O.K. this may sound like a stupid question, but here goes. Yesterday I had a patient come for an eye exam and new glasses. To my dismay he wanted to use his frame instead of purchasing new. The glasses were made and the patient picked them up. A few minutes later, he came back, and practically threw his glasses at the poor uninformed receptionist claiming he had been taken. Now here is the reason....we did not change out his nose pads or temple tips. Well, duh, no we didn't. The man did not request it at the time of purchase, therefore, he received his frames, cleaned and straightened of course but no new pads. Is this a customary thing in most opticals? If so I must be behind the times.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Didn't you know? When a patient re-uses their old frame, we're supposed to make it look and wear like new! And, heaven forbid we should break the frame while we're fitting the new lenses, we are obligated to supply the patient with a brand new frame (at no charge, of course). Whew, that felt good.

Actually, we do make it a habit of replacing old nosepads when we make new lenses. However, if anyone ever demanded them, I'd be happy to show them the door. Just one more incredulous example of the ridiculous expectations of some patients. In my book, it ranks right up there with scratched lenses. After all, if you take a new car home and a limb falls on it, the dealer will feel awful sorry for you- but you bet they'll still charge you to fix the scratch!

Next time, charge a $10 "pattern fee" when someone wants to use their own frames (never mind that you have a trace-n-edge in the lab). That way, you've covered for such expenses!

Pete "There's a scuff on these shoes, and I've only had them for two months. I wonder if I can take them back and..." Hanlin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am glad you got that off your chest,Pete.

We require patients to sign a waiver when they use their old frames. Change the nose pads, if REQUESTED. And the same is true with temple tips (for a charge,of course).

As a general rule, I turn down about 50% of the people who come in with their old frames.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

I have to say, I always change the pads if they are manky, and also the screws if they have (I have no idea how to describe this) gone all flat where the line is supposed to be that you put the screwdriver in.(what is that called?)
    I would just feel really embarrassed giving the frame back all cacked up.
    You could argue I take it too far, though, because when they just want the frame tightning I sometimes end up taking the lenses out and cleaning all the mank from them, and changing the pads.
    I just really hate green frames!

------------------
    Maria "no amusing quote" K

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Gee,

I brought my van in for tires the other day and they forgot to touch up the paint scratches.

I know it sounds silly but along the lines of what someone previously explained, you may want to offer a reconditioning service with a fee of course to cover things like new nosepads, temple covers, screws, rimless cords, etc. We don't get the stuff for nothing and they shouldn't expect it for nothing, especially if they are not purchasing a frame.

Kevin

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Trouble is, if we charged, someone else would be only too happy to do it for free, and then we could lose the sale when the frame finally falls into dust :)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

We only replace the nosepads when particularly skanky. If they bought new lenses, there is no charge.

We always charge for new temple tips.

To encourage complete sales of frame plus lenses, we give $40 off. Our prices also reflect this discount, so we can easily add the new nosepads.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I hate it when they come in all horrified that the pads have gone green, as if it's your fault, and how dare you supply these septic glasses.
    "Why does this happen?" they thunder.
    "It is your nasty greasy face" I secretly reply.
    :( "It just builds up over time, the only solution is to replace them" I actually say out loud.

------------------
    Maria "no amusing quote" K

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Sometimes, that green gunk is the only thing that seems to be holding the frames together!

I've actually spent 30 minutes cleaning up a frame- only to have the elderly gent insist that I had "switched" his "high quality" frames with a cheap replacement. Oh well...

I also just looooove it when you go to bench adjust an old patient's own plastic frame and the air warmer shoots the malodorous smell of three year's worth of cigarette fumes up in your face.

Pete "like, gag me with a p.d. stick, ya know" Hanlin
    PS- Thank God the "Valley Girl" craze is dead and gone- like, totally to the max!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't even think about it. Tell me what other business would give you parts for free.
    Now, I don't mean to say never give things away. Every case is different.If it helps to close the sale or for a very good client its certainly fine, but to have a regular policy of giving things away to everybody is not right. If you give it away to every body it loses its value and is just expected. Do your wholesalers say "you know everytime you order something of value from us we'll send you something for free". I don't think so, but you still come back and buy from them. If you do a good job for your clientele, you won't be judged for not giving things away for free. You should tell your client that for a small fee we can make these glasses look much better with new pads. You make a bit and they get better looking/feeling eyewear. Where is the problem? Our patients many times thank us for bringing it to their attention and don't expect it for free.

Bad address email on file

Ha, Ha, Ha, I just love this place...( Optiboard ). Sounds like customers are all really the same type and personalities no matter where ya go! Can you imagine for as many times as we change nose pads, re-string eyewires, replace screws etc., We never get any sympathy for handling these " green gunky " frames ( glad I got my Tetanus shot and Hepatitis B - both series ). I actually handled a green gunky frame long enough to drop into the Ultrasonic!...3-4 minutes later the owner claimed it wasn't his frame!...But all kiddin aside - we never charge for nose pad replacement, it's " compliments of the management ", but I understand that an outfit down the road, name starts with a " P " charges $6.50 for silicon nose pads!...PAkev has a good idea with the " Reconditioning Service " ...with a fee of course. Come to think of it, that might be a real good sideline --- " Framemender " huh!?... Howse that for a handle!? Seems to me we oughta be able to make a buck just fixin frames!

[This message has been edited by EyeCon (edited 11-04-2000).]

Bad address email on file
    Someone earlier said what we do....We dont charge for nosepads with the purchase of new lenses but we do charge a pattern fee of $10.00 this helps cover the cost of the pattern blanks, new nosepads, temple covers and/or screws. As for someone just stoping in for nosepads we charge only $2.00. I dont want to get rich off nose pads but I do want to cover my costs (my patients get free maintinance on thier eyewear). The rule of thumb that I use is as follows....If it cost me to to supply it, It will cost them to get it!

Roy

Thread Information