Thread: The Next Year

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question The Next Year

Just how do you see the UK optical industry panning out in the next 12 months ?
    Will times be good or hard...
    Will sight tests be sorted once and for all.
    Will the mulitpals tighten their grip, or will the inde's strike back and regain area's lost ?

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar
    Looking into my crystal ball it all looks very cloudy, I have no idea where the optical industry is going or where my profession is going, but then I never have I just enjoy the ride!:D

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The multiples will continue to be at each other's throats, leaving the independants to offer a better service at an honest price, sadly to only those members of the public who are able to see through marketing hype. Sadly optometric patients have problems seeing, let alone seeing through!.

Boots are in trouble, VE is not doing well, D&A are changing image (yet again) to try to survive. Some will go the way of Lenscrafters in the UK & Pearl Vision & Sangers & For Eyes & Specialeyes & the eye clinic and many others I can't remember in my 30 years in independant practice.

I am working flat out with appointment intervals at 30 minutes, but then I am a dinosaur who refuses to follow the big boys lead and schedule every 10 mins and let untrained optical assistants do most of the work. why I even do a little dispensing instead of the 17 year old girl who was selling clothes or bread last week. But she is now fully trained and must be just as competent as me.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up

Welcome StephenD :)
    Nice to see another brit on board. Glad you have finally come out and posted...:bbg:
    Nice to see someone is busy in the Uk optical industry.

Bad address email on file Tim Hunter's Avatar
    Good luck to you in your busy practice and hello from my ivory tower in Hospital optometry.

I have to say whilst I have no particular love for the multiples I don't think you can tar all "multiples" with the same brush and I certainly don't think that all independents are offering "a better service at an honest price".

I think there will probably be more fundemental changes than any of us expect in the next five years as PCTs begin to flex their muscles and look at the variable quality of service they are getting from optometrists. I hope that the battle between multiples and independents over "opticianry" will be less important than changes that will occur in the optometrists role and increasing involvement in "health care".

Thread Information