Thread: Average ABO certified salary in the Silver Spring, MD/Washington, DC area

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Average ABO certified salary in the Silver Spring, MD/Washington, DC area

Good morning! I am not even sure if this is an appropriate discussion for this board, but I'm at a loss where to go to get this information. In a nutshell.....I am currently working as the office manager for an optometrist in Southern Maryland. I have been the office manager here for 3 years (working for the company for 4) and I started out in one office, then was selected to open our new office in October. I love the people I work with; I love the atmosphere (most of the time), and my patients (ditto), but I am simply not making enough money to survive on here. I recently found a paystub from my old company from 7 years ago and realized that, I'm not crazy...I did make more money 7 years ago--with better hours and fewer responsibilities--than I do now. (Of course, at that position I also received commission, which accounts for the difference, but still). In fairness to my bosses, they did give me a thank you card with an extra $400 bonus check a couple months ago, but again...I am in the process of looking for another home and have realized that I simply cannot afford a home on my salary.

Anyway, sorry about that long intro. I realize that if I seek employment in a larger area, closer to DC, the pay will be better than it is here. So, I applied for a job in Silver Spring as an optician. I have an upcoming interview. The problem, for me, is that they are going to ask what salary I require and I have NO idea what to tell them. I don't want to aim too high and just sound ridiculous; but I don't want to shortchange myself either. I have been an ABO certified optician for 15 years; office manager for 3. At my current position I am not only manager, but I also am the tech for the docs (using Exam Writer), handle the insurance billing (through Gateway, as well as Eyefinity, etc.), coordinate patient care with other doctors as well as our payments for them, etc. However, in this position, I would presumably be an optician only. Any ideas what a reasonable salary request for that area would be?

Thank you in advance!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you can find an office manager/tech position you will do well. Cost of living is like 5 times that of southern maryland though.

As far as exact estimation? Jeez, you could make 10 bucks an hour at some places and 20 plus an hour at others. There are a lot of other factors that play into this beyond ABO certification.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aim higher than you need, but let them know that it's negotiable, and that you work well on commission basis.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    If you can find an office manager/tech position you will do well. Cost of living is like 5 times that of southern maryland though.

As far as exact estimation? Jeez, you could make 10 bucks an hour at some places and 20 plus an hour at others. There are a lot of other factors that play into this beyond ABO certification.
    Thank you! I am actually going to continue living in Southern MD, just commuting. That is one thing I know I have to take into consideration when evaluating whether the money is actually worth it or not--the increased commute time. I just really hate that question---"what do you want to be paid?" I always feel like if I aim too high, I look like an idiot and if I aim too low, I'll certainly get it, but I'll still look like an idiot . Thank you again!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Johns, that is a terrific point. I'm going to sit down and try to figure out exactly what I NEED in terms of salary. Maybe go a little higher than that, but leave wiggle room in case that doesn't work out. If it isn't meant to be, it won't be--the perfect job will come along (my positive thinking for the day:-)) Thanks for the reply!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am currently recruiting in that area, we hire the best to work for the best. The offices I represent have bonus structures and great salaries in place, if you are a hard worker and want to make money fill out the app below.

https://www.optimizehire.org/apply-job?i=MTkz
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends on the office setting, is it a medicaid location or a high-end boutique? I have known of opticians that were non owners making over 35$ an hour and I have known of opticians making min wage. The question is not how much will the doc pay me, but how much will you make the Doctor/Owner? If you would be able to add a million bucks to revenues you'd be making 6 figures in our office. If you only added 200k annually then you'd be in the 30's. Take what you think you can add to a practice subtract an est. cost of goods and then divide by 4. This is an aggressive point of view, but you generate money the same way that frame board creates revenue and the industry has placed an optimal turn ratio of 4 times annually. I would say at a 65% margin 1.5k per 10k generated.

Also, don't forget to factor in what you will save to owner. If you are a talented optician and remakes plummet you saved time and money for the owner.
    Last edited by Jstanfast; 05-18-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Thread Information