Thread: Semi-rim VS full rim for the elderly

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Semi-rim VS full rim for the elderly

Help me out. My mom falls occasionally but she wants semi-rim for her new glasses. I think full rim is the safer choice. Am I wrong in this or should I just make her the full rim she wants?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Honor thy Father and thy Mother. Make her what she wants and suggest she hit a few AA meetings..

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    A flimsy silhouette type 3 piece with trivex would cause the least amount of damage during a fall.

good luck, it's tough watching loved ones go through the changes of life.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @rbaker, she's a teetotaler thank the gods. Me, on the other hand....

All right, then. Semi-rim it is. We don't carry silhouette and the knock-offs we DO carry aren't worthy of the name "eyewear."

Thanks for the help, guys. Really appreciated.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sned mom to me for a nice Lindberg! Show her the love.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    A flimsy silhouette type 3 piece with trivex would cause the least amount of damage during a fall.

good luck, it's tough watching loved ones go through the changes of life.
    That's exactly what I was going to say. A drill with trivex, you'll get a thicker (safer) edge.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Her falling is probably a result of balance issues. Go to the heart of the matter and fix that. Balance issues are usually the result of low testosterone levels. Did you know that testosterone is the primary hormone in men, just as it is in women? Take her to a doctor who specializes in bioidentical hormone replacement or anti-aging medicine. When her hormone issues have been remedied, you won't have to worry about her falling.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my experience, the greatest risk of serious injury from falling with glasses comes from the pad arms. Consider a nice saddle bridge. The biggest risk is to nasal bone, not to the softer tissue of the canthus area and the cornea.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmoon View Post
    Her falling is probably a result of balance issues. Go to the heart of the matter and fix that. Balance issues are usually the result of low testosterone levels. Did you know that testosterone is the primary hormone in men, just as it is in women? Take her to a doctor who specializes in bioidentical hormone replacement or anti-aging medicine. When her hormone issues have been remedied, you won't have to worry about her falling.
    That is a little presumptious no? There are so many other reasons people fall, weak ankles, back pain, inner ear issues. To say that they are usually the result of low testosterone is borderline quackery

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    That is a little presumptious no? There are so many other reasons people fall, weak ankles, back pain, inner ear issues. To say that they are usually the result of low testosterone is borderline quackery
    I'm sure he was just trying to help. But yeah, it's not borderline, it is - it also assumes the balance issue is fixable, and often it isn't. My husband's grandmother had polio as a child: no fixing her balance issues. Dad needs his hip replaced but can't have the surgery because he just had emergency quad bypass heart surgery - no fixing that anytime soon. I have inner ear issues and Lord I wish someone could fix those and I'm not even 40 yet.

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    Help me out. My mom falls occasionally but she wants semi-rim for her new glasses. I think full rim is the safer choice. Am I wrong in this or should I just make her the full rim she wants?
    Nice safety bevels on the glasses will protect your mom, but not the glasses, give her what she wants, you can replace the glasses, but I don't know if you can replace the mom or the wants of the mom!

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I agree it wasn't borderline. Having had some experience in this area (my own mom died recently at age 93, after breaking one hip a couple of years ago, and the other one last year; she did not survive long after the second one), I can tell you that it pretty much doesn't matter what kind of frame you use for her, so long as she likes it and it doesn't block too much lower peripheral vision. I like your idea of semi-rimless.

I've also learned that in most elderly hip fractures the bone actually breaks first, and then they fall. It breaks from a common condition called osteoporosis which might be preventable through proper diet and exercise, but we don't last forever, no matter how much we do in those departments. In my mom's case, she lived a full life and was cheerful and witty to the end, although the end might have come a bit later if she had not spent her life eating sugary stuff on white toast. Oh, and all that candy.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post

In fact each of the issues mentioned can be a symptom of low and unbalanced hormone levels because hormones are the communicators of the body - the chemical messengers that tell each cell what to do. When there is no communication or garbled communication, all sorts of problems crop up. I am a researcher and student of the workings of the human body beyond what is preached by the medical establishment. I don't practice medicine, so I can't be a quack

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    In fact each of the issues mentioned can be a symptom of low and unbalanced hormone levels because hormones are the communicators of the body - the chemical messengers that tell each cell what to do. When there is no communication or garbled communication, all sorts of problems crop up. I am a researcher and student of the workings of the human body beyond what is preached by the medical establishment. I don't practice medicine, so I can't be a quack
    The problem is you're not going "beyond" what is established medical science, you're going "around" it. Worse yet, you're giving medical advice based on little or no knowledge of medicine. In some states, that would be considered practicing medicine without a license.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    The problem is you're not going "beyond" what is established medical science, you're going "around" it. Worse yet, you're giving medical advice based on little or no knowledge of medicine. In some states, that would be considered practicing medicine without a license.

Actually what I am talking about is established medicine and has been for more than 15 years. Why not get educated instead of throwing stones?

http://hormonebalance.org/

Occupation
    I just dug out my old Grammar School 4th grade class picture from 1949 and six of my classmates are wearing rimless mountings. As you all know this was back in the day if crown glass lenses with a 1.0 MM FCT/FET and not tempered in any way. No big issue. The rule was "put them in your case when you go out to recess." I recall quite a few broken lenses and frames but no injuries. When I later worked for AO in 1957 we were still doing a ton of glass rimless eye wear although the 2.2 Heat treated lens had become the standard. much to the disappointment of many wearers. It took years of advertising and regulations to instill sufficient fear in the general public to kill these lenses.

Of course we have developed new alternatives to these old lens material and technologies; not necessarily a better visual experience.

Untempered glass lenses with less than 1.0 MM FCT/FET are the standard in many parts of the world and seem to be well excepted.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Her falling is probably a result of balance issues. Go to the heart of the matter and fix that. Balance issues are usually the result of low testosterone levels.
    First you make the above absurd statement.

For a more correct listing of the causes of falls try this link: http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreation...dultfalls.html

And here's a list of possible side effects from your recommended treatment:

SIDE EFFECTS

Hirsutism, male pattern of baldness, and acne.
    Fluid and Electrolyte Disturbances

Retention of sodium, chloride, water, potassium, calcium and inorganic phosphates.
    Gastrointestinal

Nausea, cholestatic jaundice, alterations in liver function tests, rarely hepatocellular neoplasms and peliosis hepatitis (see WARNINGS).
    Hematologic

Suppression of clotting factors II, V, VII, and X, bleeding in patients on concomitant anticoagulant therapy, and polycythemia.
    Nervous System

Increased or decreased libido, headache, anxiety, depression, and generalized paresthesia.
    Metabolic

Increased serum cholesterol.
    Miscellaneous

Inflammation and pain at the site of subcutaneous implantation oftestosterone containing pellets, and rarely anaphylactoid reactions.
    Post Marketing Experience

Vascular Disorders

Venous thromboembolism (see WARNINGS)
    Drug Abuse And Dependence

Testosterone pellets are classified as a Schedule III controlled substance under the Anabolic Steroids Act of 1990.
    Read the entire FDA prescribing information for Testopel (Testosterone Pellets)
    Read More »

Occupation
    Whether they will have any benefit is immaterial to the fact that you will be able to throw a 95 MPH fastball and look like Jerry Lewis !

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Stacy View Post
    First you make the above absurd statement.

For a more correct listing of the causes of falls try this link: http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreation...dultfalls.html

And here's a list of possible side effects from your recommended treatment:

SIDE EFFECTS

Hirsutism, male pattern of baldness, and acne.
    Fluid and Electrolyte Disturbances

Retention of sodium, chloride, water, potassium, calcium and inorganic phosphates.
    Gastrointestinal

Nausea, cholestatic jaundice, alterations in liver function tests, rarely hepatocellular neoplasms and peliosis hepatitis (see WARNINGS).
    Hematologic

Suppression of clotting factors II, V, VII, and X, bleeding in patients on concomitant anticoagulant therapy, and polycythemia.
    Nervous System

Increased or decreased libido, headache, anxiety, depression, and generalized paresthesia.
    Metabolic

Increased serum cholesterol.
    Miscellaneous

Inflammation and pain at the site of subcutaneous implantation oftestosterone containing pellets, and rarely anaphylactoid reactions.
    Post Marketing Experience

Vascular Disorders

Venous thromboembolism (see WARNINGS)
    Drug Abuse And Dependence

Testosterone pellets are classified as a Schedule III controlled substance under the Anabolic Steroids Act of 1990.
    Read the entire FDA prescribing information for Testopel (Testosterone Pellets)
    Read More »

That's a good one. Testopel is exclusively for men! Hormones balance each other, so each of them must be brought up to the level that a man or woman had in his or her prime. Then there are very few side effects, if any. Beside, what's the matter with increased libido?

Occupation
    Beside, what's the matter with increased libido?
    Nothing worse than a 75 year old with the libido of a 16 year old. Ever try shooting pool with a rope?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Nothing worse than a 75 year old with the libido of a 16 year old. Ever try shooting pool with a rope?
    A firm straight cue stick to shoot pool with is one of the benefits of bioidentical hormone replacement.

Thread Information