Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting glasses suggestions

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I do have a vague idea of the shooting sport. I was on the 2nd Marine Air Wing Combat Pistol Team and competed at the Nationals a Camp Perry in 1962 and 1963.
    Thanks for your service. I qualified, expert with the M-16, basic training Fort Knox, KY, later with the M 60, and .45 at Fort Campbell, KY; home of the 101st Airborne Division. Things change, and the tactics that we learned are not necessarily applicable to home defense, let alone most law enforcement departments. Also, I'd want my glasses (Alain Mikli AL1320, Shamir In-Touch 1.67, Signature G-15, Glacier Plus AR) on to make sure I didn't shoot, Mrs Magoo or kitty Magoo.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Oh, I thought it was called a magazine in a pistol, clip in a rifle.
    I stand corrected, to be more accurate, the magazine has a spring in it and is used for both hand guns and rifles, the clip has no spring.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    I stand corrected, to be more accurate, the magazine has a spring in it and is used for both hand guns and rifles, the clip has no spring.
    Clips hold the rounds in place and are used to quickly load a magazine. Not all firearms use clips.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I really would like to understand this better, so please give me some help.

If the target is out of focus (but the sights in focus) isn't that as dicey as the sights out of focus (but the target in focus)?

In other words, don't both need to be in focus simultaneously?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I really would like to understand this better, so please give me some help.

If the target is out of focus (but the sights in focus) isn't that as dicey as the sights out of focus (but the target in focus)?

In other words, don't both need to be in focus simultaneously?
    You're eye isn't going to perfectly focus on both at once. Actually, you can't focus on both the front and the rear sight at the same time, either. Once your target has been identified, you no longer need to focus on it. Your primary focus should then go the aiming indicator which is your front sight. The way a shooter locks the handgun's onto their target is by focusing on its front sight.

I'm a gun guy and tell you that IMO everyone should be required to take a handgun and long gun course in their life. I don't care if they ever plan on using one, they need to have the experience and training in order to be better citizens. I say that as there are countless opinions on firearms in America and opinions from people who have never even held one.....let alone held one properly or fired one correctly.

/off soap box.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't disagree. I'd go one further: mandatory military service for two years. But we digress.

I've only shot a gun two or three times, so consider that.

I have seen some pictures, I believe, of using pinholes. I think that would be pretty awesome. I believe they've been called "Merit Shooting devices" http://www.eabco.com/css_sts2.html. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-aid-old-eyes/

I don't think overplussing (like +0.75) is the answer, for absolute presbyopes and shooting. In college, however, we were privy to an older concept called "hyperfocal distance" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance which is just a lot of math to say "overplus by +0.25 in the distance in bright light and let your small pupil size take care of the rest". I wonder how that works?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just a shot in the dark (no pun intended), Could you do a tinted chem clip with a bifocal in it if the patient didn't want to have multiple pairs?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Just a shot in the dark (no pun intended), Could you do a tinted chem clip with a bifocal in it if the patient didn't want to have multiple pairs?
    You certainly can, I have done what you are describing using conventional clip ons. Giving the wearer several options with a single frame system.

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now here is a shooting pair of glassesContact

Knobloch-Optik GmbH
    Zentralhof
    76133 Karlsruhe
    Tel.: 0721/273 52
    Fax: 0721/ 298 96
    e-mail: info@knobloch-schiessbrillen.de

Brillenanpassung:
    Brillen Knobloch GmbH
    Ritterstraße 7
    76133 Karlsruhe
    Tel: 0721/ 912 34 56
    Fax: 0721/ 912 34 15
    e-mail: karlsruhe@brillen-knobloch.de
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Infantrytrophy

There are shooting glasses, and then there are shooting glasses ...

“Shooting glasses”

FYI, the shooting glasses pictured above (post #34) are Knobloch frames designed for competition rifle shooters. In this case, either a smallbore or air rifle shooter (both are olympic sports). These competitive shooters need a specific type of frame that positions the lens in the shooter’s visual axis for different shooting positions - prone, kneeling and standing. Note that the lens can be moved medial-lateral, up-down or swiveled.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K1023_XL_zpse114d82b.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	11946

For the prone and sitting positions (and slightly less so for standing), the rifle shooter’s head is positioned in mild extension with the eye positioned in upward and inward gaze. The optical center of the lens must be positioned in the shooter’s visual axis. With Knobloch frames, the lens position is simply moved accordingly. An interesting variant of this is the “Bob Jones” eyeglasses. The bendable frames allow the lens to be positioned so that the optical center corresponds to the shooter’s visual axis - in upward, medial gaze for the shooter's right eye. Picture below:

Name:	BobJonesglasses_zpsfd572ca0.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	11944

Another approach is that used in the Decot line of shooting glasses. These consist of very large frames and lenses, with very little space left in the bridge area. In the picture below, the dot on the right lens is in the visual axis for the prone position. If the shooter attempted to use ordinary everyday eyeglasses, he would probably be looking over the top of the lenses. Note that nose pads can be quickly adjusted up/down by the shooter. Picture of Decot HyWyd glasses:

Name:	Decotlens_zps665802c2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	11945

There are many different types of “shooting glasses” for the different shooting disciplines, different rifles and pistols, and different sights. Rifle and pistol shooters using “iron sights”or “open sights” (anything other than optical scopes or red dot sights) need to focus on the front sight and will therefore need a corrective lens for the appropriate distance. But it’s not quite that simple - a lens with a focal distance of 26”, or 31”, or whatever, corresponding to the sight radius, will effectively waste a certain amount of the focal zone (known as “depth of field” to photographers), and this will cause too much blurring of the target. Prescribing a lens for the so-called hyperlocal distance (about twice the distance between the eye and front sight) should be optimal - allowing the shooter to focus on the front sight, but still allowing a degree of clarity for the target.

Certain shooting disciplines allow optical correction in either the front sight (to magnify the target) or in the rear sight (to substitute for corrective eyewear). The rear sight optical correction may not be optimal, however, because it’s difficult to obtain quality lenses with AR coatings and astigmatism correction that will fit into the sight aperture device.

Then there are different needs for different lighting conditions. Outdoor long-range rifle shooters can use small-aperture rear sights to increase depth of field, thus allowing for less eyeglass lens correction to focus on the front sight. The possibilities are endless ...

On the other hand, rifle and pistol shooters using a red dot (or optical reflex) sight can usually use their normal distance vision lenses, or perhaps the distance vision correction plus 1/8 diopter. This is because the red dot of the sight is effectively at virtual infinity.

Shotgun shooters have completely different needs. They focus on the target, not the sight. These shooters like certain colors of lenses to optimize contrast for different lighting conditions.

Tactical shooters are yet a different breed - some use iron sights, some use red dot or optical reflex sights.

Bottom line: there is no simple answer to the question, “What should I use for shooting glasses?” Eyecare professionals who cater to shooters should be knowledgeable about various shooting disciplines and of the shooter’s particular needs. Here is one place to start:
    http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/.../eyeguide.html

Last edited by Infantrytrophy; 05-06-2015 at 10:47 PM. Reason: typo correction ($%# autocorrect!)

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nice Post Infantrytrophy! Very well said. I take it you have a little shooting experience.

Welcome to Optiboard.

Thread Information