Thread: Lens depth with Multis

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Lens depth with Multis

Should older people be discouraged from choosing frames with lens depth higher than 35mm for a pair of multifocal glasses??

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Why?

I'm "older" (60), and I've got a 32 mm and a 28 mm B frames, both with D28 bifocals. If you are referring to progressives, maybe, maybe not, depends on the fitting height of the progressive.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm not sure why either. The seg is still gonna go in the same place. The cosmetics on lined seg are gonna look a little weird though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, you should discourage them from purchasing any frame with a B over 34.5 mm. You should also discourage them from being out after 7:00 PM. Older people should be discouraged from having an opinion independent from anyone over the age of 35. This is a prime example of gerontophobia;something that many of us on the board have or will soon experience in one form or another. I suppose that double bridges are only being sold to the hipster crowd. What's next, some punk asking a group of 20 something year old's if they should withhold a bran muffin from my order.
    Last edited by Paul Smith LDO; 04-19-2015 at 12:53 PM.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Should older people be discouraged from choosing ......................

Quote Originally Posted by maid52 View Post

Should older people be discouraged from choosing frames with lens depth higher than 35mm for a pair of multifocal glasses??

I would sell older people a frame that is as deep as they can take it and forget all the younger and fashion crazy ones.

I would tell them to stick with a wide segment as an ST 35 and use it it to its full size or as much as their face shape allows. I would also fit the line at the lower pupil level for more comfort as many of them already have a stiff neck

I also would switch them back from any progressives they had been wearing since they started wearing multifocals. which lets them see to the side without any distortion.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Old people do know that they are old. ............................

Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post

I'm not sure why either. The seg is still gonna go in the same place. The cosmetics on lined seg are gonna look a little weird though.
    Old people do know that they are old. Bones hurt, as well as the joint and a lot more. Cosmetics is not that important any more...............comfort is at a higher age. They will enjoy a vision without these distorted parts that are common in progressives as well as the smaller reading part, due to a higher addition.

All people will need glasses at some point and age. So make the older generation happy with good vision from the inside out and not how you look to others from the outside.

Give the old folks a chance to a least have a good vision when everything starts falling apart.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    The cosmetics on lined seg are gonna look a little weird though.
    A bit more obvious, I think, especially on mirrored sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Old people do know that they are old. Bones hurt, as well as the joint and a lot more.
    If nothing hurts when you wake up in the morning, you probably died in your sleep.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I would sell older people a frame that is as deep as they can take it and forget all the younger and fashion crazy ones.

I would tell them to stick with a wide segment as an ST 35 and use it it to its full size or as much as their face shape allows. I would also fit the line at the lower pupil level for more comfort as many of them already have a stiff neck

I also would switch them back from any progressives they had been wearing since they started wearing multifocals. which lets them see to the side without any distortion.
    When was the last time you honestly wore a progressive lens Chris -1982???

The above is just silly "advice".

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not at all, as long as it will cut out. I don't understand why all these comments about bifocals - when you specifically asked about multifocals.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optia View Post
    Not at all, as long as it will cut out. I don't understand why all these comments about bifocals - when you specifically asked about multifocals.
    Multi means more than one.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    How about a short corridor for the larger frames?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by maid52 View Post
    How about a short corridor for the larger frames?
    What? That's nonsensical. Assuming that the top of the frame is at or near the browline, as is usual, the "extra" B is below the usual line of gaze; fit the PAL or FT at normal height relative to the eye.

Occupation

Blue Jumper However they have been a gold mine for opticians .....

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

When was the last time you honestly wore a progressive lens Chris -1982???

The above is just silly "advice".

Actually that was last weekend and I still do not like the lateral distortion and neither the small field of vision for close up.

However they have been a gold mine for opticians over the last 50 years and sales psychology teaches that you have to believe in a product in order to be a good seller.

I just hope that nobody ever invents, makes and sells a vary focal lens for cameras and tries to sell those babies.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will admit to using a short corridor in a larger frame in two groups. 1) the emergibg presbyope who has a 1.25 or 1.5 add and usually wants to get to it quick. 2) when someone is an avid laptop or tavblet user and they need more near than intermediate.

You have to remember that if you use a short corridor you are effectively reducing their intermediate. I love the variable corridors out there so I can control this.

Thread Information