Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get around frame quantity minimums??

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

How to get around frame quantity minimums??

Starting a new practice and each brand wants me to buy 30-40 pieces! Is there any way around this? Are there doctor buying groups so we're not all buying more frames than we need?

Hoping someone has encountered the same problem....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very simple. What brands do you feel you need to compete locally? Then look elsewhere, and create your own brands if you can. Your ID doesn't say what city you are in, and some are much more "brand" conscious, so you may be up against a brick wall to not carry them. Remember, this is your money, don't let the reps try to dictate to you, negotiate.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    From each line, pick 5 or 6 models and vary the color and available sizes. You will hit your "minimum" very fast.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    find different brands, that buy in is crazeeee :) what companies are you looking at? what demographic are you trying to reach?
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These companies are probably either Lux or Saf. I can tell you now you don't need any of their product. I haven't purchased from either in over 10 years. Your shop will actually NOT look like every other one in your area, enabling you to stand out. We've grown double digit every year since we dropped them.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    TYour shop will actually NOT look like every other one in your area, enabling you to stand out.
    ^^ this. 11 locations and very minimal amount of their products with zero issues. We look nothing like their stores and are proud of it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    They see a newbie mark.

Set the deal the way you want it, or let them walk.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    All great advice, I can ad that look around at what sells at other shops, in your area. Then look at suppliers that have no minimums. Usually minimums mean no discounts. try haggling with the rep see if they will forgo the minimum they could get their foot in the door and if their stuff sells then the minimum I no issue for them. They want us more then we want them. never hurts to ask.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Please also remember that the reps you are talking to are responding to corporate pressures from above. I'm sure they would love to be able to sell you just 12 pieces if it was up to them.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Be aware from the rep standpoint, you have to make it worth their effort to travel to see you. I agree that 30 to 40 pieces is a stretch for one line! Do a bit of research and make sure the board space is to everyones well being. If you are looking at to many manufacturers with all those board space quota's it can add up real fast. If you know what kinda style your after, find a couple more lines that are similar, and negotiate the space. Reps also know that if their product is moving on your board, you are more likely to increase the space allowed.

Best of luck to you drhunt, and welcome to Optiboard!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    DRHunt,

I'm an OD also, and learned much about dispensing and marketing from an optician friend.

You just can't market a line properly without at least 20 frames. To yourself, or the manufacturer that is trying to "protect the brand".

Imagine going into a store that advertised Polo and they just three styles. As a consumer you are angry at the store, and have an opinion that the brand is limited. Without properly displaying choice you damage the brand.

Go with fewer lines and go deep with those few lines. You'll get better discounts. Onesie twosie is business suicide

Harry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    And yet in a new practice, he won't know much about his market.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Great quote DRK which shows how the new practice should stick with the big three (safilo, lux, marchon) to keep from getting stuck.

The big three will allow exhanges between lines for something that isn't working.

Hugo Boss just didnt work in my office, exchanged them for the hot kate Spade and lost nothing with Safilo

Ogi, a boutique line, looked great but tanked. Can only exchange for other Ogi. I've got those frames all on clearance.

My advise to the new practice is to stick with the big three till you find your market.

Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are a lot of multi-line companies that you can exchange across the board. Europa and Kenmark are just two of them. They also cover greater price point spreads than the three you mention. Once again, what's going to set you apart from your competition? I get a ton of business from the "me too" opticals around me specifically because we don't look like them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    He should, it's called research.

Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    Great quote DRK which shows how the new practice should stick with the big three (safilo, lux, marchon) to keep from getting stuck.

The big three will allow exhanges between lines for something that isn't working.

Hugo Boss just didnt work in my office, exchanged them for the hot kate Spade and lost nothing with Safilo

Ogi, a boutique line, looked great but tanked. Can only exchange for other Ogi. I've got those frames all on clearance.

My advise to the new practice is to stick with the big three till you find your market.

Harry
    Couldn't disagree more. If your buying frames to be able to exchange, you shouldn't be a buyer. We all buy the occasional dog, and live with it. If I buy an entire buy in to a collection and it tanks, that's on me. I won't pay the 40 to 70% price on the big boy lines, yet I still sell a lot of that same product. Buy smart.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    He should, it's called research.

Couldn't disagree more. If your buying frames to be able to exchange, you shouldn't be a buyer. We all buy the occasional dog, and live with it. If I buy an entire buy in to a collection and it tanks, that's on me. I won't pay the 40 to 70% price on the big boy lines, yet I still sell a lot of that same product. Buy smart.
    Most reps will understand that something wasn't just meant for your office so they will take it back. Maybe in hopes of selecting something else. If they don't take back inventory that doesn't sell then that should mean they aren't about that life ya dig.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    obx, you're right, but you're wrong.

How do you really, really get market research that works? I'm very unaware (as usual) of anyone who can be consulted to tell you what the eyeglass buying peculiarities are in a micro market. Sure, sweeping generalizations...The way it probably always works is "hard knocks".

An OD starting out (and especially a male, heaven forbid) knows exactly jack squat about fashion and retailing. An optician who knows an area and opens his own store will know infinitely more.

On a start up, flexibility is a huge benefit. You can't afford for it to "be on you" if you make a mistake! Play it safe and then buy smart like you do...once the newbie gets smart.

Having said that, there is a need for an "optical consultant". I guess frame reps do that, but an independent one would be neat.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

How do you really, really get market research that works? I'm very unaware (as usual) of anyone who can be consulted to tell you what the eyeglass buying peculiarities are in a micro market. Sure, sweeping generalizations...The way it probably always works is "hard knocks".

An OD starting out (and especially a male, heaven forbid) knows exactly jack squat about fashion and retailing. An optician who knows an area and opens his own store will know infinitely more.

On a start up, flexibility is a huge benefit. You can't afford for it to "be on you" if you make a mistake! Play it safe and then buy smart like you do...once the newbie gets smart.

Having said that, there is a need for an "optical consultant". I guess frame reps do that, but an independent one would be neat.
    I've had more optical consultants ask me about the peculiarities of my micro-market than were able to tell​ me anything about it. Clientele can be dramatically different from one office to the next.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You are right also Doc, and it wasn't meant as a slam. You brought out the real point, he needs to find optical help. As to the consultant, maybe, maybe not, right person yes. I did act as a consultant to a new MD practice that had just opened their optical shop in the late 90's. I was not in any of the decisions before the opening, they had someone else "consulting" to inventory and layout etc., but was hired about 3 months after the opening. What a joke! About 10k in frame backstock in drawers. Frame minimums with the big 3 to get free towers and displays, with a long lock I couldn't get out of. Tint unit with a 5k ventilation system, to be used by a a female optician I had previously worked with, always dressed to the the nines, nails done, was in no way going to dye a lens.

I was asked by the the practice administrator why they had all this inventory and work done for the tint unit? All I could do was chuckle.

These are the type of things you get when you do something you know nothing, or little about, or the same for the person you hire. Frame reps have a vested interest, much like a OMD in a cat eval. That's why my referrals were to OD's, no real gain or loss.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    networking goes a long way. knowing the right opticians/people in industry, in your market can be the difference between scraping the bottom, competing with walmart/costco/lenscrafters versus being a high end location where people are willing and able to purchase things that fill both a need and want.

unfortunately, everything comes at a cost. people who are good at what they do, dont work for free.

have to spend money to make money. it's part of the reason costco/lux can sell 15 year old lenses for the same price as what many private practices sell full digital lenses for.

getting back to the op.

if you're fighting frame minimums, maybe you shouldn't be picking up those lines. you and your staff should believe in your products. don't buy into cooperate marketing, otherwise youre better off working 9-5 for a chain/hospital. let them deal with the overhead/marketing/market research.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Smart buying is important like everyone has said, but in my opinion if you are looking at a line that you are having issues with a min then you should look at a different line. There are so many lines out there that don't carry a min or its like 10 pieces. The purchase min is usually in place to help everyone not just the vendor. If you can represent a line in your office then I bet you will sell more of the product. I have found that if I only have 10 to 20 of a line it usually doesn't move as I would like it. again in my opinion, if you are looking at a bunch of lines that have low buy ins you are going to over saturate your office with a bunch of lines that you are not deep enough in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hire a competent optician.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post

Even the smaller lines like OGI have other options, they do have another frame line called Innotec that have some nice frames you could trade out for, or just trade the OGI's out for more current OGI frames that better represent your practice, there are always options even with smaller frame companies, you just have to explore them

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    My instinct tells me market research in this field would be largely pointless, as in my experience, what people say they want, and what they actually want, and what they want after I've advised them, are often completely different anyway.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From the FezzJohns Institute of Bored (Very) Management (FIB'em):

"When faced with the dillema of which company to give the most money to, it is best to keep most of it for yourself."
    I think what the brilliant scholars at the FezzJohns were trying to say (remember, this was written in the wild, wild, 90's) is that if you're not sure of your market, it is better to err on the side of product that costs you less, than to get stuck with product that is more expensive. I still have 14 pieces of Ronit Furst that was a "got to have" line for us. I put it in 9 years ago, and sold 5 pieces. (Yes, I could discount it, but it's really colorful, and looks pretty on the wall.)

Wild Fezz Hitchcox, one of the trailblazers at the institute used this analogy: "When you go to the range to target practice, you use range ammo." After all, you are opening a "practice"...right?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information