Thread: May I have the honor of asking the newest "stupid question" of 2015?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

May I have the honor of asking the newest "stupid question" of 2015?

OK.
    My office is finally putting up a website under our own (owned) domain.
    The currently used site is through Optometry.net (ugh!).

My plan is to make this site actually "patient user friendly".
    I want to make sure our site is loaded with click-able, viewable, videos or answers to the average patients concerns or queries.
    (And, YES. Before you ask - we have a 'Message box' that will allow patients to ask questions and get a response without risking any HIPPA violations!)

So...on to the "dumb question"...

Is there a source to procure free (and accurate) "Optical informational" videos?
    Or, should I just knuckle under, and make them myself?

Thank You ALL in advance!

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are looking for something quick and easy, you can try searching on Youtube for different videos to show on your website.

If you want to make a more personal feel to it, try producing and posting videos that involve yourself and the entire staff explaining different products and services your office provides, different lens options, etc.

The options and potential are limitless. It really depends on how much effort and time you are willing to put into it.

And remember, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. So ask away! You may get ribbed a bit but its always best to ask on what you don't know than try to assume you know.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ^what he said.

However, if you do end up embedding video from youtube just make sure you check out your website everyday a couple times. The user could take it down without notice or youtube itself will take it down, then you are left with a black screen saying video not available.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by newguyaroundhere View Post
    If you are looking for something quick and easy, you can try searching on Youtube for different videos to show on your website.
    I have looked into that, but I'm unsure about giving proper credit to the video owner...

If you want to make a more personal feel to it, try producing and posting videos that involve yourself and the entire staff explaining different products and services your office provides, different lens options, etc.
    I wish! It's surprising how shy the staff becomes when confronted by the thought of being "seen online"!

The options and potential are limitless. It really depends on how much effort and time you are willing to put into it.
    Unfortunately, I have all the time in the world...Sadly, the website has a deadline.

And remember, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. So ask away! You may get ribbed a bit but its always best to ask on what you don't know than try to assume you know.
    Thanks! That was the spirit I was hoping for!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    ^what he said.

However, if you do end up embedding video from youtube just make sure you check out your website everyday a couple times. The user could take it down without notice or youtube itself will take it down, then you are left with a black screen saying video not available.
    Absolutely! I know that road well.

Thanks for mentioning it, though!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by MEB View Post
    OK.
    My office is finally putting up a website under our own (owned) domain.
    The currently used site is through Optometry.net (ugh!).

My plan is to make this site actually "patient user friendly".
    I want to make sure our site is loaded with click-able, viewable, videos or answers to the average patients concerns or queries.
    (And, YES. Before you ask - we have a 'Message box' that will allow patients to ask questions and get a response without risking any HIPPA violations!)

So...on to the "dumb question"...

Is there a source to procure free (and accurate) "Optical informational" videos?
    Or, should I just knuckle under, and make them myself?

Thank You ALL in advance!
    Contact your lens supplier, transitions, frame vendors, etc. They all have some video of some sort and they often can send them on CD for you to convert and upload to your own Youtube channel, although I prefer Vimeo cleaner and less ad ridden. Creating video isn't very hard with the right equipment and it's worth every bit of time and energy as you will own it and clients will recognize it as new created content.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Contact your lens supplier, transitions, frame vendors, etc. They all have some video of some sort and they often can send them on CD for you to convert and upload to your own Youtube channel, although I prefer Vimeo cleaner and less ad ridden. Creating video isn't very hard with the right equipment and it's worth every bit of time and energy as you will own it and clients will recognize it as new created content.
    Brilliant!

See? This is why I titled my post the way I did.

Thank you.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Why host from youtube or anywhere else? If you have your own site, keep it on your site and host it from your site.

Last thing you need is a suggested video following yours and drowning out your message.

If you make your own videos, Don't forget to watermark them.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Why host from youtube or anywhere else? If you have your own site, keep it on your site and host it from your site.

Last thing you need is a suggested video following yours and drowning out your message.

If you make your own videos, Don't forget to watermark them.

there is an option where you can turn off the suggested/related videos at the end. However, uploading to your own server does speed up the load time and you'll always have it available to you.

Thread Information