Thread: Efficacy of Blue Blocking ARs as ARs

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Efficacy of Blue Blocking ARs as ARs

I've been putting together a project for a company I do optical work for, specifically regarding blue blocking ARs. While I have varied opinions of the regarding their other claims, something I've noticed is that, in terms of working as ARs, they... kinda don't.

I first noticed this when Skyping with a friend of mine who lives overseas: I ended up removing my glasses for the conversation when I realized that, to the other person's point of view, I didn't so much have eyes anymore as I had two, blue, floating rectangles in place of them. I decided to fire up my camera and my webcam with a variety of other blue-blocking ARs, and discovered much the same thing: Compared to "standard" ARs (ranging from basic to EX3), they don't have as much of an anti-reflective property, and at closer ranges, almost appear to obscure the eyes as much as non-AR lenses.

Anyone else had similar experience?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The coatings all work and look similar to when we used Zeiss Cool Blue on a clear lens; it is essentially a low luster blue mirror coating.
    i just got a pair of Blue mirror on a transitions with a light blue tint and it looks like one of the blue blocking ar's we just did after the dr? suggested it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    True in a webcam situation you will get poor AR performance from blue light blockers because in that case they are doing exactly what they are designed to do and reflecting more blue light. It doesn't seem to increase noticeable surface reflection for the wearer though, and for most general purpose situations the blue blocking ARs are still satisfactory as general purpose AR, though both wearers and observers will occasionally get purple/blue reflections (but then some people occasionally get the greeninsh reflections of traditional AR as well).

Though one can use them for general purpose AR (and the makers would love you to pay that premium for every AR you do), I put then only on computer glasses, explain the benefit and effect to patients, and no one has complained about it enough to prefer standard AR on their computer glasses instead. As long as the patient is aware and expected the reflection but wants the blue light benefits they will be fine. An office demo is very helpful for that.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    True in a webcam situation you will get poor AR performance from blue light blockers because in that case they are doing exactly what they are designed to do and reflecting more blue light. It doesn't seem to increase noticeable surface reflection for the wearer though, and for most general purpose situations the blue blocking ARs are still satisfactory as general purpose AR, though both wearers and observers will occasionally get purple/blue reflections (but then some people occasionally get the greeninsh reflections of traditional AR as well).
    So, I guess we should have to consult on experts for this one so that we can really see good output.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig, how are you demonstrating the efficacy of coated vs. infused HEV protection?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I would say that a good spectrometer will measure whatever gets to the target.

Reflectance from the backside would or will only be of some value or useful when there is zero transmission through the lens.

This would be of some value with poly but not with any other lens material that transmit UV, without a UV treatment.

Thread Information