Thread: Credits

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Credits

ABO/NCLE credits.

What is unethical is ABO/NCLE cashing my check for my ABOC reinstatement. When I called them to find out why I hadn't received my renewal, they said I didn't qualify because I hadn't sent in credits from the time period my certification expired. Since I more than met my hours ( figured I had at least 16 from that time), but could I find them? Well, I only found 10 hours of which 2 of them didn't have my name on it, it was blank. And only a blank credit form would, of course work. Since credits from 5 years ago won't do anyone a damn bit of good, I thought I would pose the question. And no, ABO still has my money. If I hadn't asked, I'd be out $285.00 and no renewal. Again, real ethical on their part. Moderator, cancel my subscription.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, you are angry because you were short on credit hours (self inflicted), angry because ABO cashed your check for the reinstatement (legit, I would be mad too) and angry at the members of this board because there are those who felt your request was unethical in nature.

Seems to me your venom should be directed at ABO/NCLE and not at the members of this board.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe your renewal fee is due on the date of your certificates expiration. If you haven't completed your CEC you do have a grace period. So it's not like they took your money, complete your CEC and I'm sure you will get your renewal.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No, I am not short of credit hours. As I mentioned in the thread I had at least 16 hours. Maybe more. But I can only find 10. Do you still have any hours from 5 years ago? That's my point. I might I been a bit more careful during my move from that time frame, if I knew what I know now, but I had the hours. But I can only find 10. And no, without the last 2 hours from that time frame, even though I am current with 12 hours from 2014, I will not get my renewal. Again, so far, I'm out $285.00. And as to why I didn't renew in time, let's just say there was a lot going on at the time, of which I'm not going to say.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And I'm not mad at the members of the board, just the moderator for terminating the original thread. He made his decision. I'm making mine. Cancel my subscription please.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have the choice to stop posting also.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by bcox722002 View Post
    And I'm not mad at the members of the board, just the moderator for terminating the original thread. He made his decision. I'm making mine. Cancel my subscription please.
    This isn't a subscription board. You chose to post here, you can choose to leave and never return.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have cancelled your subscription as requested.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately it is like cash. If you lose it, can you still spend it? Of course not? If you lose your CE slips, you do not have them any longer. Is this difficult to understand? You asked folks here to provide you with CE credits you did not earn, and that is not ethical. Is ABO/NCLE wrong for taking your renewal? No. You sent it in, didn't you? And you knew you sent it in with only 10 credits, if I am understanding this correct. Not their fault........yours.

But relax a bit. Why not lets see if we can't figure our a way to help you at this point? There are a number of online places to complete free CE, and it would be something you can do in a day or two. I bet others have some solid suggestions as well.

I know it is frustrating, but you have now paid the money for 3 years. Do a little extra work online, and get the certification renewed. And next time, don't lose the things!

Good luck.

No, I am not short of credit hours. As I mentioned in the thread I had at least 16 hours. Maybe more. But I can only find 10. Do you still have any hours from 5 years ago? That's my point. I might I been a bit more careful during my move from that time frame, if I knew what I know now, but I had the hours. But I can only find 10. And no, without the last 2 hours from that time frame, even though I am current with 12 hours from 2014, I will not get my renewal. Again, so far, I'm out $285.00. And as to why I didn't renew in time, let's just say there was a lot going on at the time, of which I'm not going to say.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...what a sad mess...

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    ABO/NCLE credits.

What is unethical is ABO/NCLE cashing my check for my ABOC reinstatement. When I called them to find out why I hadn't received my renewal, they said I didn't qualify because I hadn't sent in credits from the time period my certification expired. Since I more than met my hours ( figured I had at least 16 from that time), but could I find them? Well, I only found 10 hours of which 2 of them didn't have my name on it, it was blank. And only a blank credit form would, of course work. Since credits from 5 years ago won't do anyone a damn bit of good, I thought I would pose the question. And no, ABO still has my money. If I hadn't asked, I'd be out $285.00 and no renewal. Again, real ethical on their part. Moderator, cancel my subscription.
    Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just re-take the test?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get a statement from ABO every year telling me how many credits I have. I always check to make sure the credits I know I earned are on there. If they aren't, I know I have to take care of it. I always double check my credits before my expiration date. If you knew your expiration was coming up, why wouldn't you just check to make sure things are ok. If you were short and couldn't find your credits, then you would have time to get a few more online. And by the way... I have all my credits going a few years back in a folder. Just in case. I can always fax a copy if need be.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am in a licensed state, and waaaaay back, I would take my CECs and put them in a safe deposit box with other important papers to save them for when I would need to send them in. Today, I scan them, and e-mail them to myself. That keeps them out in cyber space for me. Also, now that it's a simple thing to just e-mail, fax, send early to ABO, I just do it as I get them. Just like mervinek does. Important papers are important.

Now, just to maybe help... if you remember what courses you attended, maybe the group/groups that you attended actually kept some copies. I realize it's not required, but there are a few that keep a file just in case. Here's hoping that could help you.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    buying groups could look after their members CE credits as well as becoming the negotiating arm for discounts on relicensing fees

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just re-take the test?
    This is a great suggestion! Insted of pulling your hair out just retake the exams. The best lessons in life come with a price.
    Paul:cheers:

Thread Information