Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adapt or Perish - the law of the survival of the fittest.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRobotious View Post
    As a young millennial beginning his journey in the optical world, threads like these really make me think about whether I'm making a poor decision studying to become an OD. I wonder whether glasses will lose all medical value in the future; whether people will neglect the medical aspect of vision and render us obsolete. Every time I have come to the same conclusion: there IS a future for me as an OD.

The medical treatment of visual defects and ocular pathology will not disappear. Although the consumer mindset and market may be changing, people come to us based on a MEDICAL need to do so. As opticians we try and provide the best service we can, but not everyone sees this clearly (pardon the pun), and will jump online for a better price next time. This should not and does not diminish the underlying medical nature of the very products we are selling and the service we are providing! Yes, we will need to change with the changing times but we do not have to lose our core values along the way.

I apologise if this all seems naive, I don't carry any of the experience you all do.
    Actually quite refreshing, your point of view and mindset is what's being discussed, you my friend are an expert on the subject, more experience on mellenial's than all other combined on the thread. There is a place, I see a bright future with new innovations and new techniques pioneered by folks such as yourself. I think the big takeaway from this thread is stay hungry and never get complacent.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRobotious View Post
    As a young millennial beginning his journey in the optical world, threads like these really make me think about whether I'm making a poor decision studying to become an OD. I wonder whether glasses will lose all medical value in the future; whether people will neglect the medical aspect of vision and render us obsolete. Every time I have come to the same conclusion: there IS a future for me as an OD.

The medical treatment of visual defects and ocular pathology will not disappear. Although the consumer mindset and market may be changing, people come to us based on a MEDICAL need to do so. As opticians we try and provide the best service we can, but not everyone sees this clearly (pardon the pun), and will jump online for a better price next time. This should not and does not diminish the underlying medical nature of the very products we are selling and the service we are providing! Yes, we will need to change with the changing times but we do not have to lose our core values along the way.

I apologise if this all seems naive, I don't carry any of the experience you all do.
    If you're half as smart as you seem, you'll do fine in this field, and most anything else you choose to do.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    I hope this isn't viewed as insulting, but the site you quoted looks like it was designed by anyone but a millennial, more than likely someone in their 50's+ judgint by the poor use of animations and stock photography. The site is not very mobile friendly which means most millennial's aren't even going to bother to read it, the site is designed for the baby boomer generation and will probably ring true to most older opticians, personally I find it hard to read sites like that, I prefer content to be presented uniformly with a simple UI.

Mellenial's appreciate craftsmanship, especially olde world craftsmanship. Look to the maker movement and lumbersexuals. (I know lumbersexuals, LOL) You'll find the hipster of old sporting a thick well groomed beard with a $80 flannel, but it's still the same individual, mellenial women tend to look for a rugged quality in men and men tend toward DIY again reinforcing the traditional male role. The frames that sell well tend to be older style with chunky zyl and great quality. If you're not showing them how they are made and the quality in craftsmanship then you're missing out. The close is showing the tech in office, edgers or I should say (CNC - Cutters) are so familiar to this generation that it's a stamp of approval. If your cutting by hand they're cutting and running, they know a computer will cut more accurate so show them.
    So you're saying it looks like "Opticianry Yesterday?"
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hey Wes, at least you have the beard. Come back, bro...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Mellenial's appreciate craftsmanship, especially olde world craftsmanship. Look to the maker movement and lumbersexuals.
    I heat my home with wood I burn in a woodstove. Does that count for anything? Are you saying that chicks (besides amish chicks) might dig me after all?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    20/20 Millennial Project: Joseph Abboud - Make Mine Millennial

A Millennial talks to Joseph Abboud about targeting and selling to Millennials. An enlightening and accurate article by a brilliant *cough cough* observer of the state of eyewear.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ephemeral style doesn't equal substance.

Frame fashion doesn't equal Rx lenses.

But I do dig me some flannel.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

The eyeglass business is not insulated from this metamorphosis

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

The major consideration for most consumers today is price and convenience.

The eyeglass business is not insulated from this metamorphosis no matter how hard we try to insulate it under the cloak of a medical or professional service. Glasses are a commodity, nothing more, nothing less. We seem to concentrate all of our efforts these days trying to combat the desires of the consumer to obtain a good product at a fair price by enacting government regulations and trying to enforce them and establishing restrictive office practices like, "we ain’t going to give them their stinking PD’s."
    ....................an important issue for all of us, from suppliers to retailers and how we can kill the thread.................

drk

Ephemeral style doesn't equal substance.

Frame fashion doesn't equal Rx lenses.

But I do dig me some flannel.

Originally Posted by MakeOptics
    Mellenial's appreciate craftsmanship, especially olde world craftsmanship. Look to the maker movement and lumbersexuals.

Johns
    I heat my home with wood I burn in a woodstove.

Does that count for anything? Are you saying that chicks

(besides amish chicks) might dig me after all?

drk

Hey Wes, at least you have the beard. Come back, bro...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When will that happen ? Is it not wise to take action before it happens ?

Chris;

You know as well as I that you wouldn't go and chase after a very small segment of your chemical market which would neglect and alienate the bulk of your business. So why then are you advising others to do just that to their detriment?

I was working with a client on a multiple pair $1,000 sale last week. A lady came in and wanted me to adjust her glasses. I advised her that there would be a charge for this service as the eyewear was not from me. When she took her others out and when asked advised me that they were purchased at Clearly Contacts, I refused to service her. I advise her that as an eye care professional I wanted to be involved in the complete sale from start to finish and wasn't interested in servicing internet glasses at any price. Then I finished up with my $1,000 customer.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the optical field, control corrupts. And absolute control corrupts absolutely.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

When will that happen ? Is it not wise to take action before it happens ?

Chris;

You know as well as I that you wouldn't go and chase after a very small segment of your chemical market which would neglect and alienate the bulk of your business. So why then are you advising others to do just that to their detriment?

Golfnorth you so lucky to continue as forever and had only one customer coming to adjust a pair of Essilor-Coastal glasses which you refused to do.

Suppliers and local manufacturers to the optical trade have felt the pinch for a while. We have worked hard over the last few years to sell some products outside the optical trade into other industries to make up for it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    In the optical field, control corrupts. And absolute control corrupts absolutely.
    Barry...

Your shorthand posts are catchy but cryptic. Care to add flesh?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    pssst...drk....shhhhhh....think pd's.....shhhhhhh....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ah, yes.

I want to hear more about corruption!
    Corruption of what?
    Corruption by whom?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    *my precioussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss*

Thread Information