Thread: Question About Georgia Apprenticeship

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Question About Georgia Apprenticeship

He all!
    Sorry been quite, new job has had me running around like crazy.

Quick question:

How man people can I train under? I have 2 Doctors and an LDO that are more than willing to train me up and sign off on hours. Can I do this? Or is it limited to one person?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would you need more than one? (I'm not real informed by the apprenticeship path)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    More hours, Right now I work 50-60 hours between two offices. If I can combine multiple places and hours I can easily get 70 hours a week. If I had not been doing this for 10 years (5 years as an actual career) I'd skip it. So I'm thinking a big cram type thing. :^)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I looked it up and the language seems plain that there is expected to be one person to whom you are apprenticed. I would definitely ask Diane, she is the expert here on GA info. Plus she's super nice and helpful. =)

ETA: it's definitely a 2 year calendar thing and not by hours.

http://www.oagonline.org/the_georgia...re_process.htm
    Last edited by opty4062; 03-28-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Apprenticeship training is typically one-to-one. Sometimes states allow someone to accept two apprentices, but not the other way around.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, you may have more than one sponsor. But you still need to complete 2 full years of apprenticeship. As a matter of fact, if you are being trained by more than one person, having both on your apprentice application, allows the hours from both to be accepted. If an apprentice is listed under one and is trained under another, those hours won't count toward apprenticeship hours..

The only problem with being listed under more than one licensee, is that the licensee may only train 3.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I stand corrected. Unusual........not that I stand corrected, but that someone can be trained in what is referred to as an apprenticeship with multiple folks training them. But in the case of Opticians, it is usually cheap labor with little actual training to begin with, so why not. Thanks.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Diane, thank you for responding, and thank you for clarifying the 2 year part I was under the impression that It was hours based. :^)
    WMcDomald, always a pleasure to hear from you on here. and Opty, Thanks for the page link.

Diane am I correct in assuming that online courses do not count for the education training?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldt View Post
    Diane, thank you for responding, and thank you for clarifying the 2 year part I was under the impression that It was hours based. :^)
    WMcDomald, always a pleasure to hear from you on here. and Opty, Thanks for the page link.

Diane am I correct in assuming that online courses do not count for the education training?
    Boldt,

I am not sure what you mean by online courses... Continuing education courses do not count toward apprenticeship.

When the law was changed in 2008, the authors/writers of the bill that passed had very little teeth to it. Unfortunately, it was nothing more than a paperwork bill that passed legislation. The Georgia State Board of Dispensing Opticians has attempted through rule changes (which the board is allowed to do as long as it doesn't conflict with the statute/law) put some accountability in the interpretation. For example there were a number of licensee who had as many as 18+ apprentices assigned to their license. The law made NO provision for limiting the number. The Board changed it a couple of years ago to limit the numbers to 3. It would be better with only 2, but the AG felt that could become a hardship. In addition, there have been a number of apprentices who turn in hours worked under different licensees. As Warren mentioned, how can that be training? So it is being monitored fully to ensure that only hours worked under the sponsoring licensee can be claimed. That will eliminate willy nilly work hours that really don't count toward any true TRAINING. There is more to be done, and will be done to fix it without opening up the law, but it will take time. It would have been much better if the authors/writers of the original bill had contacted the State licensing board for assistance in writing it. Therefore, it is nothing more than a paperwork bill, not a true training bill.

Diane

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I see, I get the logic there.
    I found online classes to train for optical licensing, like the Clarkson program at Peidmont Tech, I figured that they don'y count here, but better to be sure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldt View Post
    I see, I get the logic there.
    I found online classes to train for optical licensing, like the Clarkson program at Peidmont Tech, I figured that they don'y count here, but better to be sure.
    OK, now you are looking at an Opticianry Program. The GSBDO will accept completion of a recognized formal education program. Georgia Piedmont Technical College has reopened its program, which is not yet accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation, which is a requirement. I understand that some paperwork may be in the working, which could help. There are a number of COA accredited programs, including some that have online courses, such as Hillsboro Community Technical College in Tampa, FL and J. Sergeant Reynolds in Richmond, VA. The only accredited program in GA right now is Ogeechee Technical College in Statesboro, GA. The GSBDO will recognize a combination of official clock hours at a recognized program with Apprenticeship hours. In addition, it will recognize a successful completion of the Ophthalmic Career Progression Program with The National Academy of Opticianry. From start to finish, that usually takes a beginning learner about 18 months to complete, however, if you have a lot of knowledge under your belt already, you would probably be able to finish it in way less time than that. That could be the quickest way for you to get ready for your practical.

Hope some of this helps,

Diane

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That is very helpful! Diane thank you again. I've set my self a goal to become a ldo asap, this helps out so much. :^)

Thread Information