Thread: advice on missbehaved patient

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

advice on missbehaved patient

I just had this happen and just wondering how others would handle it.

I was fitting a patient for their first pair of progressives. Small script nothing crazy. from what she was explaining they would be perfect for her.
    In the mean time another patient, whom was actually friends with the patient I was working with, came in for an adjustment. She was in her first week of wearing progressives and having issues. Which I knew she would from the beginning. She preceded to talk my patient out of not only getting progressives but also getting glasses. "Just go get cheaters".

How would others handle this situation? kind of a case study exercise based on my personal hell.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of my responses, "yes, Miss Jones, you can go get cheaters as your friend Miss id10T suggested, and 2 years from now you will be back here having the same difficulties she is having now." Gotta love those low hyperopes that milk the "cheaters" until they don't work anymore.

Second response might be to just send them both on there way...

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    "cheaters do not correct astigmatism"

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On, off. Repeat 500,000 times. Myopes and emerging presbyopes not as often.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    "cheaters do not correct astigmatism"
    Who cares if I can see well enough for $10.00 as opposed to $600.00 ?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Who cares if I can see well enough for $10.00 as opposed to $600.00 ?
    That, right there, is the problem. You can't compete with a $10 price tag.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    How would others handle this situation? kind of a case study exercise based on my personal hell.
    I love these types of situations! You can go so many ways with it. 1) Tell the friend to shut the hell up. 2) Ask the friend where and when she got her Opticians licensed. 3) When you realize the patient is listen to her friend, "is this the one that told this outfit looked good on you? so many ways to play this
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I love the 3rd option.

I should go to where she works and undo what she does.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But that $10 price tag cant compete with spending some bucks and get what I want for the convenience of not having to chase down a cheap pair of readers that do not give me my full correction EVERY time I need them 800 thousand times a day.
    I think most guys are like me......if I "scan" and don't see it I get aggravated. I have to call my wife who can "look" for it and find it every time. I want something I can SEE with.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would just give them a sign to hang around their neck that says "I am a special kind of stupid" and send them on their way.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Occupation
    Optometrist

Tru This

What's the difference between that customer and one of us shopping around for cheaper stock lenses??? Do onto others as they do onto you.
    When something becomes a commodity prices takes the driver's seat.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Each person is unique. Even two people with the same prescription won't necessarily be happy with the same eyewear solution. There are a couple upsides to going with a pair of over the counter readers. The biggest one being price. However, there are many downsides to readers that you might want to consider. One, they don't offer customization. If your eyes need different strengths, if you have astigmatism, or some help with muscle balance, your cheaters won't be able to provide that. Your OTC readers won't be able to set for your specific PD which might cause additional eye strain. With OTC readers you will have to take your glasses off to see distance, and put them back on to see near. On/OFF. On/OFF. It's easy to misplace the readers or you might find yourself always having them on when you don't need to or off when you do. There is a strong possibility you will need to wear your glasses full time at some point. Going with a progressive now while your magnification power is low will allow you to more easily adapt to this type of lens, reducing adaptation time in the future.

I would like to assure you that with your progressive lenses, we will ensure your satisfaction. Most problems with adaptation are resolved with simple adjustments and time. However, if you can not adjust to them in the first 60 days, we will gladly remake them into either a sv or lined multifocal lens."
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reminds of the time I was adjusting an engineers glasses and he kept telling me what to do in order to correct the problem...... I finally, after being very polite for about the first 5 minutes, took all the pliers I was using and laid them in a pile in front of him while handing him back his glasses and said, "Clearly you know more about adjusting glasses than I do, so be my guest....." At which point I got up and walked away. Well he was a little shocked, a lot embarrassed and quickly apologized and asked me to finish. Which I did and he became a devoted patient.

There isn't much you can do in that situation other than walk away and start helping other patients, or if you have a more private area available, you could move your patient away from Ms. Big Mouth.

Frankly what's the worst thing that could happen? She listens to Ms. Big Mouth and gets readers instead of PAL's----- good, because by the next exam she will be so done with trying to keep up with all her glasses and never having the right pair she will be like putty in your hands.

As she's walking out your door to go get her +2.00 cheaters, remind her she will also need a pair of +1.00 cheaters to see things in her fingertip zone........... Good Luck EyeManDan

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    I would ask myself why the patient had more faith in her friend then the me, The pro. and fix my approach.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    I would ask myself why the patient had more faith in her friend then the me, The pro. and fix my approach.
    That’s sound advice, but not the way the real world works. The patients are very few that will listen to the professional over their friends. Heck if you have kids you know that if you tell them something that they never believe you. If your own kids question you why would you expect less from the patients.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would let the patient know that they could get over the counter reading glasses if they really wanted to but then educate her on why she shouldn't. Tell her why a PAL is her best option and then I put my money where my mouth is and tell her if she got the glasses and after wearing them for a while say 2-3 weeks could not stand them I would give a refund. Explain how some patients can have trouble getting used to a PAl but most of the time people adapt quickly. I make that offer from time to time and I can count on one hand the people that have come back to me for their money. Cheaters are tempting with a $10 price tag , but a quality PAL will improve the quality of your life as opposed to pay $10 on cheaters to get by.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'd give them both a pair of readers off my rack, complete with chains, and say "Call me if you need me, you sexy ladies you."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I'd give them both a pair of readers off my rack, complete with chains, and say "Call me if you need me, you sexy ladies you."
    those chains get me every time too!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    "No two eyes are going to be the same. A cheater that might work for your friend might not work out for you. We recommend products based on your needs and I am confident that this is going to help your vision in all aspects. We have great policies if you are having trouble with your glasses and we want to make sure that you are happy. You're friend wouldn't have come back if she didn't think that her problem couldn't be fixed. Thank you and have a great day."

Thread Information