Thread: Best AR

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Best AR

So I have a customer who is very finicky about having the clearest pair of glasses. He mainly likes trivex glasses, and I recently tried him on glacier plus, but for some reason it's starting to come off after less than a week. Apparently he's been using zeiss eyeglass spray and the microfiber that came from the AR company.

I’m not sure what's going on, but am thinking about switching him to a new AR and am not sure which one. He drives late at night and is on a computer a lot. I am making him a pair of blutech lenses right now for use at work.

Any thoughts?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hoya for me. Although to be honest I've always found Glacier plus, as it's called here, fantastic.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Hoya for me. Although to be honest I've always found Glacier plus, as it's called here, fantastic.
    +1

Occupation
    Don't re-invent the wheel, Mistakes happen.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If he's that finicky, he might be doing something else to them to cause AR failure. I heard about one person who was putting them in the dishwasher once a week.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I just saw them they seem to have a bubble in the ar in the lower level. The dishwasher thing is funny. He's an engineer with a background in optical stuff. I imagine he treats them quite well :)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know many try to avoid using anything from "Big E" but if he's really picky try Crizal Sapphire. WE have a ton of optical engineers in my area and that seems to satisfy them better than anything else I've tried.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by flynhawaiian View Post
    I just saw them they seem to have a bubble in the ar in the lower level. The dishwasher thing is funny. He's an engineer with a background in optical stuff. I imagine he treats them quite well :)
    Most likely a defective AR, it can happen to any AR(although it shouldn't).

I would warranty it, then see how it goes before totally switching to a different AR.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
    I know many try to avoid using anything from "Big E" but if he's really picky try Crizal Sapphire. WE have a ton of optical engineers in my area and that seems to satisfy them better than anything else I've tried.
    Best AR I've ever used.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya!!!
    ~ Erin
    ABOC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Any AR can fail for a hundred different reasons.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I saw a pair today that the patient said was just two years old and crazed. They weren't ours. Figured out she's been cleaning them with Windex.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper The best AR is still on glass lenses.

I have a small collection of old 35mm Cameras like some Leica F models that have AR coatings on their lenses made in the 1930s and 40s and all still in beautiful working conditions. All of them were under heavy use for many years.

The AR coatings are also still in perfect condition because the manufacturers used glass only in the old days.

AR coatings are made with mainly SIO2 which is also glass, with some other ingredients added for colors and other extras. Glass on glass is no problem, as is with a glass coating on plastic lens materials. There are problems with adhesion as well as compatibility with flexing factors of base materials and temperature changes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I have a small collection of old 35mm Cameras like some Leica F models that have AR coatings on their lenses made in the 1930s and 40s and all still in beautiful working conditions. All of them were under heavy use for many years.

The AR coatings are also still in perfect condition because the manufacturers used glass only in the old days.

AR coatings are made with mainly SIO2 which is also glass, with some other ingredients added for colors and other extras. Glass on glass is no problem, as is with a glass coating on plastic lens materials. There are problems with adhesion as well as compatibility with flexing factors of base materials and temperature changes.
    Question: I noticed that Hoya's Recharged EX3 is significantly more heat sensitive than just EX3; it's actually to the point where I'm popping Recharge lenses out of frames to heat adjust them because they appear to craze in the warmer. So:

1) What causes this?

2) Anyone else notice the issue with Recharge but not EX3?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Who makes glacier? First time I have heard of that one.

We mostly use HOYA but other private label A/R brands as well from our independent optical labs.

I agree with a previous post that any A/R can fail for any number of reasons.
    Few and far between though.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Question: I noticed that Hoya's Recharged EX3 is significantly more heat sensitive than just EX3; it's actually to the point where I'm popping Recharge lenses out of frames to heat adjust them because they appear to craze in the warmer. So:

1) What causes this?

Temperatures over 120 degrees can damage the coating. The damage might not show up immediately.

Always remove the lenses before heating the frame around the lens.

Never leave the eyeglasses in an automobile parked in the sun for prolonged periods of time on hot days.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Who makes glacier? First time I have heard of that one.
    Shamir. It is currently only available in America via Digital Eyelab.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper which has a Bayer rating higher than glass...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post

1) What causes this?

Here is the answer directly from Hoya:

In addition we enhanced the scratch resistance properties so now Recharge is at the same level as Super Hi-Vision EX3 AR treatment; which has a Bayer rating higher than glass.

http://www.theopticalvisionsite.com/lenses/hoyas-recharge-ex3-offers-patients-improved-blue-light-filter/#.VRV2BPnF_zl

I would assume that the reason for the crazing again is the difference in hardness under the influence of heat or cold.

You would need a perfect match of heat or cold coefficient for all materials to make it perfect.

Thread Information