Thread: Hoya Recharge and Crizal Prevencia

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hoya Recharge and Crizal Prevencia

Looking through the info on Recharge, I found that it only reduces blue light by 10% compared to traditional AR. Is Crizal Prevencia like that too? All this hype about Blue light blocking AR's and it only blocks 10% more than regular AR? I thought it would be more!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    prevencia blocks "up to" 20% of the blue spectrum.

as far as I know, all "blue blocking" ar coatings are not marketed or sold as 100% blocking/polarizing for a particular spectrum. for that, you need to actually dye the lens or the substrate and then confirm with a spectrometer.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No HEV coating is or should be marketed as a traditional AR. It is a different animal altogether.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    http://blutechlenses.com/eye-care-professionals/

It's also important to note that "blue blocking" coatings deflect blue light, rather than absorb it. Consequently, the coatings themselves are visibly more reflective than traditional AR, especially if there is any color to the substrate. I've included a website link with information about a comprehensive, COPE & ABO approved continuing education course pertaining to this newly identified eye health threat.

"Blutech" is an up and coming new product technology that absorbs (rather than deflects)what is believed to be the most damaging wavelengths of blue light. I do NOT work for, nor represent, nor have any financial interest in the Blutech product. I did have the pleasure of meeting some folks from the company at Vision Expo, and they make a very strong case for blue protection technology, and thought it worth mentioning.
    "No one can help everyone,
    but everyone can help someone."
    -- Anonymous

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper AR coatings are all about more transmission ..............................

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyefan View Post

Looking through the info on Recharge, I found that it only reduces blue light by 10% compared to traditional AR. Is Crizal Prevencia like that too? All this hype about Blue light blocking AR's and it only blocks 10% more than regular AR? I thought it would be more!

AR coatings are all about more transmission instead of reflection of damaging light rays, and is just marketing.

Blue blocking lenses are beneficial for many reason on which there is plenty to read about. However they will have to absorb the full value to the maximum..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Although I don't dispute there may be some benefits to achieving additional protection for the eyes from the harmful end of the spectrum, I see this as more of a marketing jargon ploy, not a breakthrough in technological innovation.

Blue-blockers were the most hideous lenses ever developed, were orange in colour, unattractive and a marketing crock, but they sold a few million pairs and made somebody wealthy thanks to slick marketing.

Every few years, the lens industry manufacturers needs to have something new to flog and prove their innovations in R&D. Whether its proven or unfounded, it makes them appear as 'global leaders' setting the pace for the next great sales pitch with hopes to cash in.

The web site says 'scientifically proven'. If that truly is the case and whether proprietary or not, they should be listing the white papers or clinical studies which should be written and endorsed by multiple scientists and ophthalmologists. Without that major component, it's lacking validation in my opinion.

A few years ago, I had an OD contact me to develop and implement a clinical trial (with hopes for distribution) for 1000 shift workers to wear 'special lenses' (Rx or Plano) which the claim to fame was to be they would decrease your risk of cancer caused by shiftwork of the body's natural clock. The special filter in the lens was developed based on 'theories' the OD had relating to melanin and serotonin production.

I asked for a sample to see and test as these could be made available to any Rx, lens type and frame. They looked like nothing more than a Trivex material with a light yellowish amber solid tint and AR. When I asked what was so special about them, this individual said there was a special filter also in the lens which would stimulate the production of increased serotonin during the night shift, as shift workers were more prone to developing cancer over extended periods of time.

I thought damn, if this theory was proven we could sell thousands of these across the country but I would need some hardcore validation to support such a claim. After my analysis, I did find there was another incredible discovery in the lens...when placed under a spectrometer; they also had something known as a UV filter.

Despite my numerous attempts afterward to contact the OD to clarify if I missed something in my analysis, surprise surprise I never heard from the doc again.

Thread Information