Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On line CE for Opticians, should there be limits?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

On line CE for Opticians, should there be limits?

I’m just looking for some feedback. From my research, every license state, with the exception of VA and Ohio, has some restriction on the amount of online CE's that can be used for license renewal. I am on the licensing board for Ohio and the topic is on the agenda for our April meeting. I am for limiting the amount of on line CE's that can be used for renewal. What are your thoughts?
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've mentioned this before in another thread; Online should be the preferred method of CE's. How many times have you been to an in person one and saw sleeping, or not paying attention opticians? I've seen this in every CE I've been too (and I've been to a lot). Online, you at least need to skim the material at worse, read the presentation at best and pass a test on it proving you've actually look at it.

And what about the financial/time/travel aspect of in person for your rural opticians that don't live close to the CE site?

IMHO the only reason to have in person mandatory (Like Florida) is the cash cow aspect of it. (How much money is generated each year in Florida's example? A ton I bet.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The concerns with online CEs are that sometimes they are done by other parties. So the issue is both ways. This is why Arkansas doesn't accept them at all.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    The concerns with online CEs are that sometimes they are done by other parties. So the issue is both ways. This is why Arkansas doesn't accept them at all.

Diane
    There are less unethical opticians that would do that for someone else than there are opticians bored to death or not paying attention and learning nothing in a in person CE course.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My state doesn't have licensing requirements, but as far as my ABO cert goes, I feel that the CE process is basically a joke, especially with online CE credits that are just a thinly veiled advertizing campaign. If I had to take the initial ABO test again today, I probably wouldn't pass. If the CE was meaningful, I should pass with a better score then my initial exam.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I've mentioned this before in another thread; Online should be the preferred method of CE's. How many times have you been to an in person one and saw sleeping, or not paying attention opticians? I've seen this in every CE I've been too (and I've been to a lot). Online, you at least need to skim the material at worse, read the presentation at best and pass a test on it proving you've actually look at it.

And what about the financial/time/travel aspect of in person for your rural opticians that don't live close to the CE site?

IMHO the only reason to have in person mandatory (Like Florida) is the cash cow aspect of it. (How much money is generated each year in Florida's example? A ton I bet.)
    Agreed.

The online CE process is an opportunity for opticians to both easily earn CE credit without having to potentially lose money by taking a day off (and depending on their business potentially close up shop), while also allowing other opticians to easily make money by writing/conducting CEs, again, without having to take time off. It's a win-win situation. There's also very little that can be gleaned from an in-person orientation that can't be adequately conveyed in an efficient CE course.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    I prefer to take my CE online .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting, I have, like the rest of you have been to a ton of in person CE, I have seen far fewer people sleeping or not paying attention than I have seen people doing their on-line CE's "together". Not to mention that I have never, ever, taken a 1 hour on line course that has taken an hour. I have to have 12 hours of CE's every year, I took all of mine on line last year and it took me 2 hours 45 min. that seems to me to be counterproductive to the “continuing education” aspect of the process.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSore View Post
    I prefer to take my CE online .
    Why? do you learn more online?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's ironic that opticians prefer to go online, but complain when their patients do...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another vote for online CE's as an effective way of learning.

It costs about the same.

Optical Training Institute (yes I know who runs it) also makes my courses easily accessible in the event of an audit. And Massachusetts anyway, has in recent years, audited.

Some of the tests can be surprisingly informative and difficult. None are as simple as waiting until the speaker is through and having them stamp a piece of paper. I do wish there was a way to find out the correct answer to a wrong answer however!

And most importantly I don't have to be somewhere on a day off when I could be at my psychiatrists office (aka the first tee).

Of course nothing beats The Optiboard!!!

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Why? do you learn more online?
    Yes, I feel I do . Also I agree with Uncle Fester " I don't have to be somewhere on a day off ".

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't found the "difficult" CEUs yet. I have more than enough each year to meet my license renewal requirements, but I always take extra when they come along. When the test allows for it, I skip to the questions, fill them out, and submit. I'm no genius optician, and in fact consider myself mediocre, since I spend more time on the road than I do dispensing, but I can't remember the last time that I had to actually go back and read the material to achieve a passing grade.

I've got better things to do than go to seminars, but I don't mind going, and in fact enjoy them. Often, I learn just as much during the breaks, talking with my peers, as I do during the class, and I consider that an added bonus.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Alright, you started it. I only have one nerve and the subject of CE's or whatever they are called today really gets on it. In most cases, contemporary CE's are basically a waste of time. Wasn't always that way . . . Ralph Drew and others of his ilk left you much smarter than when you sat down, but I am afraid those days are over.

When my home State was initiating it's CE requirements back in the late sixties I proposed that accredited college courses be allowed. No way, Jose! We don't want opticians getting too smart like taking business courses or, heavens forbid, nursing courses. I guess the operative theory was to keep em dumb and they certainly have succeeded. This is one of the self inflicted wounds that has positioned today's "optician" as the runt of the eye care litter.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm one of the optician's who has had trouble keeping her eyes open during a day full of CEC's. Back in CT, the opticians association put on twice a year a day that met your years requirements, and it started early in the AM (7am). So by 11-ish I would be hurting.

I found that I could keep myself awake the whole day without shooting coffee directly into my veins by knitting. Yup, I would be the one who never looked at the speaker but I can guaranty I was paying more attention than anyone else because it takes me no brain power to knit a scarf but it kept me very awake. And there were many classes that kept me involved. Some were duds.

No, I don't like going to CEC's. But it was always a day to catch up with my classmates and others I've worked with over the years. I would like to have the option of an online class, but knowing me, I would find a way to erase any trace of my credits online, so the in person option works better for me (at least in CT. We'll see in Washington)

I do think online classes have the opportunity to be more in depth, whereas the in person option allows for question and answer to further any discussion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns- Are the credits from OTI? Or from our trade rags? In which case I agree on how easy they can be and you can't beat the price!

For 3 credits take OTI's "Introduction to Low Vision" and while you may pass on the first try I'll bet you don't get 100%

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, online CEC's are better for me because there aren't a whole lot of "live" courses in Maine, so in order to make them a requirement they would have to become more widely available ... of course we aren't a licensed state either.

BUT if i lived somewhere that it was easy to get to them, i would say yes there should be some in person requirements.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PA isn't a licensed state. I get almost all my CEU online. After doing this for 20 years, I find it difficult to find "live" courses that I learn a lot from. I find that these classes are more for entry level opticians. If there was a class I would learn a lot from, I would be interested. I'm not saying I don't get anything from the online classes, but not enough to spend a lot of time on. The online classes onlytake a few min to do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I do think online classes have the opportunity to be more in depth, whereas the in person option allows for question and answer to further any discussion.
    Great Point Lady, I’m not totally anti on-line CE, far from it. I just think that interaction in a live seminar offers more opportunity for personal growth and knowledge. My other issue with online courses is the length of time to take the course. There was a movement a couple of years ago that would make all the 1 hour ABO/NCLE approved online courses 1/2 (.5) hours. Of course it hasn’t happened but maybe someday.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    The online classes onlytake a few min to do.
    Bingo! If an academic hour is defined as 48-60 minutes of instruction, then the online courses are way behind the curve.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem with online and in person CE's is that almost all are Level I. There are not enough Level II or III. I assure you, most opticians won't complete a II or III in a few minutes.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    The problem with online and in person CE's is that almost all are Level I. There are not enough Level II or III. I assure you, most opticians won't complete a II or III in a few minutes.
    Exactly! And when you read the critiques after the class, half complain they didn't understand a word, the others complain that it was too low level.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here in NY online are considered "Live" and as such you can take as many as you like to fulfill the required amount of credits needed. We are limited to only a few "mail in" courses, I believe maybe 2, I'd have to look it up. I prefer in person classes as much for the social aspect as anything else. I do always take a few online simply because I'm not always free when the in person courses are offered, and being licensed in both eyewear and contact lenses I need half of my courses approved for a contact lens credit. I find those to be in the minority at most of our education days.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Being an Optician, COA, office manager and sometimes working 50+ hours a week with a family the last thing I'd
    rather do is find myself in a CE class on the weekend. Online CE +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Great Point Lady, I’m not totally anti on-line CE, far from it. I just think that interaction in a live seminar offers more opportunity for personal growth and knowledge. My other issue with online courses is the length of time to take the course. There was a movement a couple of years ago that would make all the 1 hour ABO/NCLE approved online courses 1/2 (.5) hours. Of course it hasn’t happened but maybe someday.
    Paul- Have you taken an on line course? If not I'd suggest you go to OTI and try one. It may surprise you.

http://www.opticaltraining.com/html/...ing2_body.html

I still mourn the loss of Darryl and his Opticampus not realizing its full potential.

For any newbie who hasn't bookmarked it dine on these rich and satisfying courses for personal growth as they are not approved for credit---

http://www.opticampus.com/
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-26-2015 at 10:24 AM. Reason: tweak...

Thread Information