Thread: The Myopia Boom

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

The Myopia Boom

Sub-titled: Short-sightedness is reaching epidemic proportions. Some scientists think they have found a reason why.

I saw this article and thought it would be a good basis for discussion: The Myopia Boom

Discuss away!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the early 1970s I worked in a contact lens only practice just outside the main gate of the USMA - West Point. At that time the military hospital on the reservation did not offer contact lens services, but Gen. Westmoreland (superintendent at the time) didn't like to see so many cadets on the parade field wearing those ugly black S-7 military issue glasses. He didn't want them to bump into each other on the parade field either, and an arrangement was made to fund their CL fittings. So - we got lots of business. OK - not too many plebes (freshmen)... but by the time they were in their 3rd. year, we fit a bucket load. All PMMA lenses BTW. My OD employer's theory was that they spent so much time studying and doing close work, that it fueled the myopia in patients who would not ordinarily have been affected.OK - just my anecdotal experience.
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Back in 1959 the USNA (Naval Academy) required uncorrected 20/20 for admission. In 1963 the physical exam for pilot training as a Naval Aviator was 20/20 uncorrected. I had to have my VA's checked three times before I passed. On my first flight physical after graduation I came up with a 20/20 and a 20/25. I was really sweating it but the flight surgeon let me slide. Two years later I was flying rotor wing out of Marble Mountain in Vietnam and tested 20/30 ou. No sweat! If you could fog up a mirror you were good to go. Must have been all that Jack Daniels and hash. Actually, I am a hyperope so, drinking 24 year old McClelland's Single Malt Scotch whiskey prevents myopia.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great article Steve, made for an interesting lunch break. I had no idea myopia was that prevalent in China. My parents have always hammered home the idea that I would become short sighted with all that video gaming and phone usage and the whole lot. Still haven't though - despite spending a good portion of my time hitting the books. I always make time to go outside for a walk and soak in some lovely sunlight :)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Epidemiology

The global refractive errors has been estimated to affect 800 million to 2.3 billion.[70] The incidence of myopia within sampled population often varies with age, country, sex, race, ethnicity, occupation, environment, and other factors.[27][71] Variability in testing and data collection methods makes comparisons of prevalence and progression difficult.[72]
    The prevalence of myopia has been reported as high as 70–90% in some Asian countries, 30–40% in Europe and the United States, and 10–20% in Africa.[71] Myopia is about twice as common in Jews than in Gentiles.[36] Myopia is less common in African people and associated diaspora.[27] In Americans between the ages of 12 and 54, myopia has been found to affect African Americans less than Caucasians.[31]

Asia[edit]

In some parts of Asia, myopia is very common. Singapore is believed to have the highest prevalence of myopia in the world; up to 80% of people there have myopia, but the accurate figure is unknown.[73]China's myopia rate is 31%: 400 million of its 1.3 billion people are myopic. The prevalence of myopia in high school in China is 77.3%, and in college is more than 80%.[74] In some areas, such as China and Malaysia, up to 41% of the adult population is myopic to 1.00 dpt,[75] and up to 80% to 0.5 dpt.[76] A study of Jordanian adults aged 17 to 40 found over half (53.7%) were myopic.[77] However, some research suggests the prevalence of myopia in India in the general population is only 6.9%.[32][78]

Europe[edit]

In first-year undergraduate students in the United Kingdom found 50% of British whites and 53.4% of British Asians were myopic.[79] In Greece, the prevalence of myopia among 15- to 18-year-old students was found to be 36.8%.[32] A recent review found 26.6% of Western Europeans aged 40 or over have at least −1.00 diopters of myopia and 4.6% have at least −5.00 diopters.[80]

see all of it at ---------> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myopia

I have been aware of this for many years. There is an excellent description on Myopia ar Wikipedia and I would recommend that anybody interested can learn some more or refresh on the subject.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have always wondered if the Asian tendency for Myopia fostered the popularity of Martial Arts, like Karate.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had an L&T feature on this very subject last summer. It ended up being the most shared FB post ever for 20/20.

http://www.2020mag.com/l-and-t/49785/

B

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's an old story to me.

Forty years ago at school one of our OD's related the story of how Eskimo's only needed glasses after the kids were required to attend school which in those days was mostly small modular classrooms.*

I believe it was also sited as one of the reasons to close Alcatraz since the prison cell size didn't allow enough distance to let the eyes cilliary body muscle to fully relax.

*[Edit] OK- One of these days I'll read the article before posting!!!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I understand they think it's being outside in the sunshine or maybe just being outside. But I wonder if wearing clear glasses that block uv or blue light or wearing sunglasses makes a difference.

Thread Information