Thread: Oakley?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Oakley?

I have a friend that purchased a pair of Jupiters at a local office and I'm sure these have to be legit but I thought I'd throw this pic up here for some of the Oakley experts. I haven't dealt with Oakley for more than 10 years and I've heard the quality has dropped but I wasn't sure how low. Are visible mold seams a thing now? Here's the best pic I could take. They run along the entire length of the front and they're raised enough that you can feel them. Perhaps they're legit but someone missed them in QC? Your thoughts...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	visibleseams.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	11805

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Managed a Sunglass Hut years back, and we dealt with counterfeits on an almost daily basis. The seams themselves have always been present on some models, though the knock offs would often be just a bit more prominent / less refined. But still present on the real thing. The easiest thing to look for, for us at least, was the color and finish sheen, and the logo (if printed on the plastic). It varied by style of course, and I'm not familiar with the Jupiter (we don't have one in stock here presently), but the site shows three colors avail on the Jupiter Squared model: Polished black, matte black, and navy. This looks like the polished black perhaps?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yeah. It's definitely a polished black with a standard grey lens. No country of origin marking on the frames but I heard they don't do that anymore. Maybe after all the years I'm not remembering the seams. I don't recall them being so prominent.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a tough call unless you know the product intimately already, or have two to directly compare against each other right there... The site says that (at least currently) the polished black is only available with their Jade Irridium, green mirrored lens. Doesn't mean it couldn't have been made differently in the past, or that the owner didn't switch lenses either. So that can't be a reliable means to determine pedigree. :(

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ken, you realize that one of your Facebook friends is an Oakley Rep, right? ;)
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Ken, you realize that one of your Facebook friends is an Oakley Rep, right? ;)

Oh heck, that didn't even cross my mind.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Yeah. It's definitely a polished black with a standard grey lens. No country of origin marking on the frames but I heard they don't do that anymore. Maybe after all the years I'm not remembering the seams. I don't recall them being so prominent.
    All oakley sun frames should say made in the u.s.a.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We don't stamp made in the usa on them anymore. Because some frames are made here, some in Italy and some in China. The OMatter stuff is still produced at foothill ranch so the Jupiter Squared was made in the US. And it is available polisjwd black with a grey lens. Those seams are likely mold marks, they show up most on the polished black frames. Hope that helps!!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    We don't stamp made in the usa on them anymore. Because some frames are made here, some in Italy and some in China.
    Good to know for future reference :)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yes. Thanks oldtimer. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wrote Oakley an angry letter about their frames. It ended up being a 3 page tirade. Did it help or change anything? Im guessing no. Our rep seemed a little shaken by it and said he would submit it to his manager. Third greatest lie in history next to "the checks in the mail" and "Ill call you tomorrow".

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    That is a fake one made from China and a bad imitation.

QUOTE=edKENdance;502672]I have a friend that purchased a pair of Jupiters at a local office and I'm sure these have to be legit but I thought I'd throw this pic up here for some of the Oakley experts. I haven't dealt with Oakley for more than 10 years and I've heard the quality has dropped but I wasn't sure how low. Are visible mold seams a thing now? Here's the best pic I could take. They run along the entire length of the front and they're raised enough that you can feel them. Perhaps they're legit but someone missed them in QC? Your thoughts...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	visibleseams.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	11805[/QUOTE]

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, how valuable can a brand be, if retailers and consumers alike can't tell the real frames from the fakes?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

I haven't seen an Oakley that impressed me in years. All the Oakley sunglass frames feel like low quality/quickly broken junk. As stated above it's really tough to tell the knock offs from the real thing, and not because the fakes are of any quality. Somehow the Oakley name still sells the product though.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Maybe it's because I'd never dealt with Oakley before last May, but I have been extremely pleased with their product. We sell the Wingback, in particular, nearly once a week. I never even see these patients back for adjustments. They feel great, they look good, and they hold their adjustment. I love them.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information