Thread: I need frame suggestions for petite faces??

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I need frame suggestions for petite faces??

Lately, it seems as there has been a rush of female customers with very petite facial features. I have been having a heck of a time fitting them; most of the bridge widths out there are too wide. Do you folks have any suggestions for frames with narrow A and DBL measurements that will help me avoid going into the children's section to fit these women with something fashionable?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo, I am considered "small", and I wear an Easy Twist oval child's frame, 41-20-125 in a neutral color. I wanted the plum, but got outvoted at work!

I use a Polycarb/AR progressive lens with a seg height of 20, and I wear it a little low for my minus Rx. I used to wear a Modo that had a 43 eye, but it had a wide bridge too. I'll be interested in hearing about other "adult" options as well!
    jP

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jo,

since there is a shortage of petite frames, I have no problem in showing children's frames. Most of the kid's frames we have look like adult frames in miniature. Most of the kids we have in our practice want the more adult looking frames.

As a matter of fact, we have had an influx of kids with larger than normal heads and more petite women.

Bob V.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Jo~

I was in your same position a few years back. I took on a line called Microshapes. It is designed exclusively for a smaller woman's face. There is a mix of metal and plastic frames in the collection. I have enjoyed working with the product (though the company itself seems a bit unorganized). The frames sizes range from about (eye size) 41 and go up to 47. Let me know if you have any questions.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Take a look at the Tura kids line. Nice styles and colors, small sizes.

OptiWizard
    xx
    Last edited by walt; 08-27-2004 at 07:21 PM.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I just brought the Kazuo Kawasaki line in,they are 4 point titanium rimless frames. That look is really hot in our office and I love the way they can be customized. Bridge sizes range from saddle 24mm, to 19mm, and 17mm adjustable nosepads. The have approx a hundred lens formers to choose from and if you don't like those you can make up your own,and don't even start with color of frames or style of temples, polarized clip-ons are also availible in grey, brown, and g-15. It's a really clean and classy line that would suit women with delicate features as well as men with huge heads. ;)

They are manufactured by Masunaga Optical

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    walt said:
    Our viu swim goggles fit petite faces to age four and are available in plano and plus and minus powers.

Swimming is America's leading sport with 55 million enthusiasts (source: NSGA Annual Survey). At a population of 288 million, that's one in every five of your customers.

You might want to check them out at http://www.sportoptix.com
    Walt,

While I am sure that there is a place for viu swim goggles, I don't think that they will "help me avoid going into the children's section to fit these women with something fashionable." I think these women would look pretty rediculous if they wore swim goggles to work. Me thinks that you are trying to slip an ad for your company into the post instead of a pertinent reply. :finger:

OptiWizard
    xx
    Last edited by walt; 08-27-2004 at 07:21 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry Walt, that wasn't intended as a cheap shot. I thought it sounded obvious that I was asking for information about dress eyewear.

I noticed many of your posts seem to be advertisements for sportoptix.com and I was trying to subtly remind you of the Guidelines for Posting Messages located in the OptiBoard General Board Usage Section that can be found by following the following links:
    • OptiBoard is designed to promote and encourage a free exchange of ideas and opportunities among eyecare professionals. This Board is here to serve PROFESSIONAL interests, and it is NOT acceptable to use it solely as a Marketing or Sales tool (except as noted below.). Blatant attempts to misuse this resource will be deleted.
    • If you wish to post items for sale or trade, please use the Optical Marketplace forum. Do not places advertisements in any other forum.
    • Please identify all potential conflicts of interest clearly. If you are commenting on an issue or product that you have a financial interest in, you must identify this relationship.
    • It is also all right to mention your product or service in response to another message. All I ask is that you do this without turning it into a major advertisement, and that you follow the previous point and identify your relationship to this product.

OptiWizard
    xx
    Last edited by walt; 08-27-2004 at 07:20 PM.

Bad address email on file

3 piece drilled rimless

These frames are very popular and look great. Many companies to pick from and you decide the shape and size.
    Good luck
    Tom

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

small frames for women

Hi Jo,

If you do business with Oliver Peoples, they have also have a collection of small sizes...called Ollie Peoples. Very cool designs.

Laurie

: )

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Safilo has the MSM (maurice st michel) petite line. Very nice, I sell a lot.

Problem with selling childrens frames to adults is that the temple lengths are often too short. Then again, sometimes they are just right. With the new smaller sizes, seems that the only difference between childrens and adult frames are the temple length

The Elizabeth Arden petite frame line was also pretty good, not sure who makes it or if it is even made anymore.

Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    harry888 said:
    Safilo has the MSM (maurice st michel) petite line.
    Harry 888,

Thanks, we have a Safilo account so that would be an easy line to bring in.

Judy,

Never mind Tura kids; I would love to bring Tura women's frames back in. I'm not sure why the person before me took them out.

Thank you to everyone! Now I have a good direction to look in.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Bevel Spectacles have a wide selection of smaller frames. High end stuff

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jones New York just came out with a petites line, Liz claiblorne has some petites, Silhouette has a 17 bridge if your looking for a drill. I also like the Adrienne Vittadini line for smaller faces.
    Good Luck!
    Cindy

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

You might try. . .

There is a line from Kenmark called Thalia that has a tween line that has some nice styles and a decent price point. Microshapes is my favorite though.

Good luck! I hope you're having fun and making money!!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another Safilo frame that may be of interest is the R. Lauren 1432, 43 and 45 eye stainless spring hinge.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sadley this is a case of the "bell curve" method of frame manufacture gone mad. We are asked as a profession to dispense every shape, size, disability, sex to any one of any age from 1 month to 110 years.

This means that when we want a petite adult frame we are forced to use kids frames. When we want a decent quality kids frame, with curl sides, we struggle to actually find anything at all to dispense. Then we have the "large male" how many 60 eye frames and above are out there? not many...

like in clothing, frame manufacturers droll out the same stuff as every one else, in all the same sizes.. wel I wish they would break the mould

Would some frame manufacturer please explain to me why I have to search so hard for kids frames in the 2 - 7 years age group?

I am 6'5" and 16 stone.. apparantly when I want an extra legroom seat on a airplain, I either argue for bloody ages as to why I need one, or I am declared special needs, and treated even more strangley. This just shows that as a society we deal with people as numbers, and not as individuals... it is about time it changed

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by cinders831
    Jones New York just came out with a petites line ...
    Rem: Jones New York Petite
    description, photo and contact info
    http://www.2020mag.com/index.asp?page=3_508.htm

I wasn't looking for this but I remembered this thread when I saw it.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I looked for the MSM petit frames on Safilo's website and in their catalog and didn't see them. Where are they listed?
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    call off the hounds ! you need the oliver peoples carina 44 eye
    making a spectacle

Thread Information