Thread: Who should I join?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who should I join?

So I've had my ABOC for awhile and now I'm wondering how many different organizations and association do the people here belong to? I can't afford dues for all the groups that I'm seeing out there so which one will give me the best ROI? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By far the best optical organization I give my money too is Optiboard. Without a doubt.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    By far the best optical organization I give my money too is Optiboard. Without a doubt.
    +1000000000
    ~ Erin
    ABOC

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    2nd that

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends what your goals are.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Depends what your goals are.
    Right now exposure. I plan to join the state association (if i can get a response from them. ) mostly I'm wondering about national organisations for education and general knowledge gathering

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The National Academy of Opticianry is Education. The Opticians Association is legislation. I would join both.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you fit contact lenses, then a must-join is CLSA.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by The Optical Giant View Post
    Right now exposure. I plan to join the state association (if i can get a response from them. ) mostly I'm wondering about national organisations for education and general knowledge gathering
    You just learned your first lesson. How to bang your head against the wall with associations and national organizations. If you are smart that will be your first and last lesson with them. You are licensed now so leave those organizations behind. You don't need them and they have nothing to teach you by joining them.

Now, define your goals then seek a mentor with a positive upbeat, can do attitude, who can teach you what you want to learn. Seek out the Warby Parkers, seek out the Craig's , visit the Barry Santini and Harry Chilling types . Do not bog yourself down with political can't do attitudes and old school outdated optics education. Don't join them on their ancient path, blaze your own trail. Get mentors to teach you specifics.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now, define your goals then seek a mentor with a positive upbeat, can do attitude, who can teach you what you want to learn. Seek out the Warby Parkers, seek out the Craig's , visit the Barry Santini and Harry Chilling types . Do not bog yourself down with political can't do attitudes and old school outdated optics education. Don't join them on their ancient path, blaze your own trail. Get mentors to teach you specifics.
    To a VERY large extent I agree with idispense, that being said join your state society first. After that you do have to ask yourself what you want to achieve. You said exposure, exposure to what? If it education then I would Join CLSA and/or NAO. The biggest problem is that no one group will give you a complete picture. Each organization has their own agenda that they are trying to achieve and most of the time these groups are at odds with each other. If you are wanting to make the optical world a better place for the next generation, then bite the bullet and join them all and be an ACTIVE member of each. If your wanting to make yourself a better Optician so that you can provide for you and your family then do as idispense suggests and find the best mentor you can and save your money.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On the left wall we have the Associations. The right wall is the regulators
    The sheep members and their money is trapped in between the walls

Outside the walls are the Coastal Contacts , the Warby Parkers and the happy upbeat can doers

They are smiling and laughing away at the head bangers

ABOC isn't much in the optical world, and you should learn more optics, but who should be your mentor to teach you sales and success ?

These "it can't be done people".

Or the achievers Who outsell you and then sell their businesses for multi hundreds of millions ?

Where are your customers ? Are they standing inside the walls alongside the head bangers or are they standing outside the head banger walls ? Your customers have options. Achievers have options.

What options do head bangers have ?

Last edited by idispense; 02-26-2015 at 08:51 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are licensed now so leave those organizations behind. You don't need them and they have nothing to teach you by joining them.
    Sure...and if those organizations had not gone to fight for licensure on your behalf , you would never had the opportunity to be licensed.

Research before you join anything, and see where your money goes. Does it go to a political action committee, then that's money well spent. Does it go into the coffers of fat cats, then skip.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Sure...and if those organizations had not gone to fight for licensure on your behalf , you would never had the opportunity to be licensed.

Research before you join anything, and see where your money goes. Does it go to a political action committee, then that's money well spent. Does it go into the coffers of fat cats, then skip.
    True, but that's living in the past. There may be smart talented people in those organizations today but is there effective leadership today ? When was the last state licensed ? When did one of those organizations successfully challenge a WP type operation ? When did one of those organizations teach or mentor a member to match the sales volume marketing success of a WP ? Which of those organizations taught and licensed the founders of a WP type operation ?

Has each of the WP type operations been asked to teach CE credits ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Sure...and ..........

Agreed ! Same thing goes for investing in the publicly traded stock of optical challengers. If those challengers have a political action committee then your renewal fees might be better invested there.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    +1+1

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agreed ! Same thing goes for investing in the publicly traded stock of optical challengers. If those challengers have a political action committee then your renewal fees might be better invested there.
    No argument here!

The first time I bought stock, I was a Marchon rep. The stock I bought was Luxottica. I buy my competition's stock, only if/because they are promising and can profit for me, not because they are competition. I held the Lux stock for a time, dumped it and some others, and bought heavily into Costco, and Apple, both stocks I still hold today. Costco sells glasses, and I have an Android cell phone, not an I-phone. I don't buy the stock(s) because I like the product, but because I think a lot of people besides me do.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information