Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20/20 Magazine Article

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

20/20 Magazine Article

Check out "The Guilded Age" in this month's 20/20! Barry Santini did a great job on a very interesting topic! Kudos to Barry!
    Last edited by SharonB; 02-18-2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is a link for those that do not get the magazine:

http://www.2020mag.com/story/52807/

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Sharon and Fezz. Be sure to check out the Side bar, where I talk a bit my Dad, who taught me so much.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I'm proud to be a remnant of that guilded family and I'm sure you are too. My fathers voice rings often into my ears as well. Great job!

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I liked it but you lost me at the last paragraph. I liken a Warby Parker to a fake Rolex except of course, that it's a medical device that's worn on your face. I don't think they've really done anything of note for the industry other than using 100 million dollars of investment money to exploit a niche market.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WP is universally vilified by our industry. But kids drag their parents their for glasses not for the price, but for the 'brand' and the fashion. This should not be underappreciated.
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 02-19-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I liked it but you lost me at the last paragraph. I liken a Warby Parker to a fake Rolex except of course, that it's a medical device that's worn on your face. I don't think they've really done anything of note for the industry other than using 100 million dollars of investment money to exploit a niche market.
    could your employer, your college or your association teach you how to raise $100,000,000.00 or sell as many glasses as WP or get the publicity WP has in such a short time ? What about if you gave your employer, association, and college another 20 years to figure it out ?

perhaps your CE time and money and re licensing fees would be better spent by you personally visiting WP ?

or you could ask your association and college to invite WP to teach relevant courses for today's economy.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    could your employer, your college or your association teach you how to raise $100,000,000.00 or sell as many glasses as WP or get the publicity WP has in such a short time ? What about if you gave your employer, association, and college another 20 years to figure it out ?

perhaps your CE time and money and re licensing fees would be better spent by you personally visiting WP ?

or you could ask your association and college to invite WP to teach relevant courses for today's economy.
    That doesn't really have anything to do with Barry's paragraph, but ok...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That doesn't really have anything to do with Barry's paragraph, but ok...
    If we ask Barry, he might note that WP are not members of your associations or colleges and yet they outsell, out market, out finance and outperform most of those members all added up together.

WP is not hindered nor contained by the status quo seeking, old boy, box of thinking that walls most of the membership into false security and complacency.

It has everything to do with Barry's last paragraph. He is telling people to wake up.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Are you even reading the same article? Here's the last paragraph:

Today, as eyeglasses finally come to be desired as a true fashion accessory, we should thank companies like Warby Parker who, despite being vilified by some in our industry, have actually performed a vital service: They’ve rescued the idea of wearing eyeglasses from the dustbin of undesirability, returning it to its origins as a marker of prestige, knowledge and power. Let’s not wait 700 more years before eyecare professionals become earnest and outspoken advocates for the proud tradition, history and importance of eyewear. With a state-of-the-art, digital finishing system in your office, you’ll become a member in good standing of the new Guilded Age of spectacle making.

I don't see any call to arms. The part I have trouble with is the proclamation that WP (and companies like them?) has somehow helped revive peoples interest in glasses. That's a huge stretch that I personally don't agree with.
    Last edited by edKENdance; 02-19-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added the parenthesis

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To quote WP, "there's nothing complicated about it".
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    WP is universally vilified by our industry. But kids drag their parents their for glasses not for the price, but for the 'brand' and the fashion. This should not be underappreciated.
    Very well stated. +1

They are providing an important road map, if ecps care to look, about what is possible and how much the market wants a new offer from the eyewear industry than just same old. L buys a license, marks it up and spits out china plastic to us and we just continue to play the old game. These guys have a formula that is on fire right now. Kudos. Warby's china plastic looks and feels a lot like L's china plastic.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    Very well stated. +1

They are providing an important road map, if ecps care to look, about what is possible and how much the market wants a new offer from the eyewear industry than just same old. L buys a license, marks it up and spits out china plastic to us and we just continue to play the old game. These guys have a formula that is on fire right now. Kudos. Warby's china plastic looks and feels a lot like L's china plastic.

What's the road map? What's possible? They're doing the same thing that other onliners have done and do. The only difference is the niche.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The difference is in the marketing buzz and free advertising they have received in publications. As their style become old news (styles come and go with the wind) they will have a much harder time to re-invent themselves and get the same type of media buzz they have been experiencing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What's the road map? What's possible? They're doing the same thing that other onliners have done and do. The only difference is the niche.

Fair Question.

No, they have not done what other onliners have done and do. They are opening up Kick-A** retail stores in top locations. Their stores are jammed, at least from what I hear, read. I went for myself and saw with my eyes- the store was full and people were engaged.

They are offering people private/white label product - no pushing brands which they don't own, they are BUNDLING product (frame + lens package) and demystifying/simplifying the consumer's eyewear shopping experience. They are doing it right, better than I've ever seen. Now it is just 10 stores - but it would appear they are expanding.

I believe any independent ECP can learn from them and apply some of the WP formula to their own businesses. There is nothing that complicated but they are doing it better than me and I hazard a guess better than you. Again their sales per sq foot are off the charts. Why is that.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Respectfully, I suggest any ECP who is able to, to visit their WP stores and observe. Perhaps even go through the trouble of purchasing a pair, to get the whole experience... which, by the way, MANY OF YOUR CLIENTS have already done or will do soon....

As I've said before, I have made a couple of changes in my own operation, which resemble some of what WP does - and it has absolutely been to the benefit of my practice.

More and more, we are the brand, I am the brand. Much less emphasis is on the "E" or "L" or whatever badge is on the product. We are sourcing product better and offering better pricing to consumers. We've invested more in the consumer experience part of things. Onsite lab, wider variety of frames, trendier, younger and current.

Barry has said it - the new equipment available, like NIDEK drilling/edging - has been a great investment. Thanks Barry , and great article.
    Last edited by optimensch; 02-19-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    Fair Question.

No, they have not done what other onliners have done and do. They are opening up Kick-A** retail stores in top locations. Their stores are jammed, at least from what I hear, read. I went for myself and saw with my eyes- the store was full and people were engaged.

They are offering people private/white label product - no pushing brands which they don't own, they are BUNDLING product (frame + lens package) and demystifying/simplifying the consumer's eyewear shopping experience. They are doing it right, better than I've ever seen. Now it is just 10 stores - but it would appear they are expanding.

I believe any independent ECP can learn from them and apply some of the WP formula to their own businesses. There is nothing that complicated but they are doing it better than me and I hazard a guess better than you. Again their sales per sq foot are off the charts. Why is that.....
    Clearly Contacts and Bailey Nelson have their own retail stores and bundle prices. They both have their own private label brands. How am I supposed to learn anything from this as an ECP? Bundling prices is nothing new. Am I gonna start manufacturing my own frame line? The only substantial thing I've learned from WP is that it's easy to differentiate ourselves from WP by offering frames and lenses that are superior to theirs and providing exceptional service. On second thought, I didn't even learn *that* from them.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    What amazes me about all of this is how often I see snide remarks on Optiboard about zyl frames in general and bulky, 50s-influenced frames specifically. Yet WP has carved out an empire based on exactly this aesthetic and by targeting the massive number of young consumers who are after it. Styles do evolve, but it just seems to me, from empirical experience here, that if the posts on Optiboard are an accurate microcosm of the optical world, then opticians are severely out of touch with what styles are in right now and how to best market them. And perhaps that disconnect is a large part of the problem. YMMV.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Great article and side bar Barry, what was your sources for the Optical History? Some I had heard before but some was new to me? pm me if you want.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This has turned into a WP slam/praise post so I'll just go ahead and toss out my observations. I have had many many patients go the online route, but I have also noticed that these patients are always back in my office to get that well made pair of glasses. WP and other websites are a great idea and I tell most patients about them (in particular Zinni), but I present them as that pair of glasses designed to get them by or toss in the glove compartment of their car and wont give the best vision everyday (which they won't) and I explain why. The people that already planned to go that route minds cannot be changed immediately, which is why I ask kindly for them to bring their eyewear back to me so I can check it to verify that our doctors prescription was made correctly and then educate again.

Now the main point. Well written article, loved it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments. I hope more will take up the pride that only comes from making your own glasses.

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments. I hope more will take up the pride that only comes from making your own glasses.

B
    Barry you are something Love your passive/aggressive way to stir conversation. It is easy on this board to get folks cranked up.
    We just finished a -7 in a 6 base drill-mount with facets; took us over 6 hours to run enough test lenses to get it right. This took so long because it required chamfering the ends under the mounting and it was larger than my machine would do; so we had to make overlapping chamfers to allow the 3 base lens to fit like a 7 base.

My lab guy came in on his day off so we did not slow down production and we now have a client who spent $1,800.00 on a pair of glasses and now she along with her husband will never go anywhere else. This is because of our ability to do our own work and that most will say cannot be done.

My wife, staff and I really enjoyed meeting you and your wife; please know the door is always open in winter for you and your lovely wife.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you, Craig. WE enjoyed ot as well. And Jerry is a true craftsman of the old school!

B

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Barry you are something Love your passive/aggressive way to stir conversation. It is easy on this board to get folks cranked up.
    We just finished a -7 in a 6 base drill-mount with facets; took us over 6 hours to run enough test lenses to get it right. This took so long because it required chamfering the ends under the mounting and it was larger than my machine would do; so we had to make overlapping chamfers to allow the 3 base lens to fit like a 7 base.

My lab guy came in on his day off so we did not slow down production and we now have a client who spent $1,800.00 on a pair of glasses and now she along with her husband will never go anywhere else. This is because of our ability to do our own work and that most will say cannot be done.

My wife, staff and I really enjoyed meeting you and your wife; please know the door is always open in winter for you and your lovely wife.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I love what these new machines can do, it would be too easy to say producing good quality work is a push of a button, but with the playing field even the guy that knows which button to push still makes a difference. I would love to see more pictures.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Thread Information