Thread: Dispensing Fee? Thoughts, info please!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dispensing Fee? Thoughts, info please!

Hi Everyone,

I have some questions for you. Does your practice charge a dispensing fee?

A bit of back info. I am transitioning into a new position for a non profit that helps people with sight assistance. We are starting a finishing lab that will allow our clubs throughout the state to buy high quality, low cost eye-wear through us. Currently the various clubs are using different providers, box stores or chains. The prices are varied and some are paying $70.00 for single vision CR39. Our goal is to make it more affordable so they can help more people. We have such a need that we are currently helping people 200% below the poverty level.

The plan is to work with providers and offer a small kit with 9 frame choices. After their exam that the provider would be paid for, the hope was that the patient could work with the optician to select frames (from the 9 choices) and get measured. The lenses will be CR-39 unless a need for poly. The choices will be single vision, FT28 or 7X28. Then the order sent to us. We would complete the order and send it back to the optician who would fit the glasses. Our hope is that it will be minimal time as choices are limited and there is really no need to talk about lenses. Although I know some people can take a long time!

We have had some providers say they are on board and would love to work with us. We have run into some who are wanting to charge a dispensing fee.

I am curious as to your thoughts. Have you ever charged a dispensing fee? If so how much was it?

Thanks in advance. :)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We get paid about $27 to fit, measure, order, dispense, and adjust medicaid glasses in Massachusetts. Glasses made in local prison.

About 20% never get picked up, and we can't bill Medicaid for the services until they are dispensed. Irritating on many levels

Harry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for responding Harry! I am lost and need all the info I can get! So about how many medicaid do you dispense?

So when you say that 20% never get picked up and you cant bill for services are you saying you cant bill the $27.00 dispensing fee for your time?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yup, because they weren't dispensed...

While the doctor appreciates being compensated for their time, I can see why they might want to make sure the staff is as well. I am curious to see if they want to charge the charity for the dispensing fee (similar to many safety plans that give $20 for order/disp) or if they want the patients to pay for it. I know several who seem to believe that unless the patients have skin in the game, the glasses will not hold value to them.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    mail them and they are dispensed.

Thread Information