Thread: Zeiss Choice Plus V

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Zeiss Choice Plus V

Any feedback on these lenses? I've recently ordered a few for previous Zeiss wearers. I haven't been able to find any peer reviews or experiences on OB or elsewhere.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Last place I worked we did a lot of Choice lenses... I loathe V (variable corridor ) lenses... I like the 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 options. I probe a lot before about how they use thier gls and in combination with the RX add power I pick from the fixed ones. Zeiss seems to have a habit of hanging half the read off the bottom of the frame if you do a V or Individual 2.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Try searching for ZEISS Superb which is the name the rest of the world has used since they were launched a few years back.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoris View Post
    Try searching for ZEISS Superb which is the name the rest of the world has used since they were launched a few years back.

There's just as much info here. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The Variable corridor won't offer much of an advantage until you reach higher add powers in shorter than normal segs. So if your doing a +1.50 add in 16 seg a standard lens would suffice. But if your doing a +2.50 add in 16, you will a smoother declination of power in a Variable lens.

The Choice overall is a great lens, good distance, smooth transition to the intermediate zone, most of the distortion pushed out of the fovial cone. The only downsides is the reading can be narrower and lower for some people who may be used to a Comfort. Price and limited material availability are its main drawbacks. Its sort like the Shamir InTouch but with more corridor options (which is much better in higher add powers).

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    The Variable corridor won't offer much of an advantage until you reach higher add powers in shorter than normal segs. So if your doing a +1.50 add in 16 seg a standard lens would suffice. But if your doing a +2.50 add in 16, you will a smoother declination of power in a Variable lens.

The Choice overall is a great lens, good distance, smooth transition to the intermediate zone, most of the distortion pushed out of the fovial cone. The only downsides is the reading can be narrower and lower for some people who may be used to a Comfort. Price and limited material availability are its main drawbacks. Its sort like the Shamir InTouch but with more corridor options (which is much better in higher add powers).

Use the Choice Plus 15 or 17 Corridor unless the pt does a lot of reading standing like a teacher does at a desk. Then the variable might be better.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Full disclosure - I work for ZEISS. On April 1st we're launching our new ZEISS Precision lenses, which eventually will replace the Choice Plus series (regular Choice will remain). The portfolio will include ZEISS Precision Pure (13/15/17/19/21), ZEISS Precision Plus (variable corridor), ZEISS Precision Superb (position of wear) and ZEISS Individual 2 (same name in ordering systems, but will be getting several upgrades). Superb is new since we previously only had one lens with position of wear. Now we will have two (Precision Superb and Individual 2).

The variable corridor lenses will now have a feature called FrameFit+, which accounts for the frame size and shape. There will definitely always be cases where the fixed corridor is preferred by some people, but the variable corridor should now be improved with this new feature. In the past, some frame shapes (like aviators) resulted in less near zone, but FrameFit+ will now account for this and keep the near zone within the frame.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard Matt, and thanks for the info. To be clear, the Precision Superb is a variable corridor design? If so, then the only POW optimized design that has an optician selectable corridor power profile continues to be the Individual 2.

http://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/en_...-a-glance.html
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 04-01-2015 at 03:38 PM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Robert, thanks. Looking forward to many more contributions in the future. Yes, while Superb has PoW, Individual 2 will be the only design with an optician selectable corridor power profile. Superb won't come in different profile versions.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Woelbern View Post
    Superb won't come in different profile versions.
    I'm really confused...you can select the corridor length though, so what's the difference?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    I'm really confused...you can select the corridor length though, so what's the difference?
    The lateral zones are also customisable (eg wider reading, wider intermediate etc)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    Zeiss's software selects the corridor length for all but the Choice and the Precision Pure, and Individual 2.

It's possible that even the fixed length designs vary slightly depending on distance Rx, but I don't know this to be fact. This may be associated with their CORE (stop distance (center of rotation + vertex distance) estimate. However, it's not clear to me which design has the CORE optimization. Individual 2 for sure, maybe Precision Superb. Zeiss needs to make this clearer in the marketing because if you're going to use software controlled corridor length, the design must be optimized by Rx: shorter and locally harder for myopes, longer and locally softer for hyperopes.

Adaptation Control looks like a way to keep a variable design from stupidly choosing too long of a corridor for a frame with a long 'B' measurement. This is a one-way street though, if you want a long corridor in narrow frame, you'll have to use a fixed design, which if Zeiss, means either their most expensive lens, or their least expensive lens.

I ran the new app, but haven't had time to see if it's anything more than a hand-holder for the inexperienced. I did come up with a "FrameFit value of "4.00" when I went from a Physio +2.25 19mm FP to the same except for Precision Plus, but this value is undefined. I think the goal is to make sure a short corridor wearer doesn't run into problems when they choose deeper frame, but that's really the optician's job to explain the visual ramifications of a too short or too long of a corridor for their Rx and visual needs.

http://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/en_...s.html#details

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You're spot on with your assessment, Robert. It's for those who aren't knowledgeable on lens design.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    The lateral zones are also customisable (eg wider reading, wider intermediate etc)
    The Individual 2I has a longer corridor than the Individual 2 and the Individual 2N has a shorter corridor than the Individual as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post

However, it's not clear to me which design has the CORE optimization. Individual 2 for sure, maybe Precision Superb. Zeiss needs to make this clearer in the marketing because if you're going to use software controlled corridor length, the design must be optimized by Rx: shorter and locally harder for myopes, longer and locally softer for hyperopes.
    All Customized lenses have C.O.R.E(i.e. Individual 2, Precision Superb, Precision Plus(Was Choiice Plus V), Precision Pure(Was Choice Plus))

Adaptation Control looks like a way to keep a variable design from stupidly choosing too long of a corridor for a frame with a long 'B' measurement. This is a one-way street though, if you want a long corridor in narrow frame, you'll have to use a fixed design, which if Zeiss, means either their most expensive lens, or their least expensive lens.
    The only fixed corridor design in the new portfolio is Precision Pure(13, 15, 17, 19, 21), which is at the low end where price is concerned in the line up.
    We still have Choice, which is not customized, but has a fixed corridor(13, 15, 17, 19)

that's really the optician's job to explain the visual ramifications of a too short or too long of a corridor for their Rx and visual needs.
    That is so true!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0147.jpg  

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    New POW defaults for all Zeiss SV and PAL.

Vertex Distance 12mm. A decrease from the old default.
    Pantoscopic Tilt 9 degrees. Increased.
    Facial Wrap 6.5 degrees. Increased.

Individual 2-

2I Narrower near zone width, increased unwanted astigmatism distance off-axis.
    2N Shorter corridor dependent on add power. (I assume the stronger adds have the shortest corridors.) Distance off-axis essentially the same as Balanced.

Precision Pure Fixed-

Corridor length is fitting point to 100% of add, defined as fixed length minus 4mm.

For all lenses-

Refractive index 1.60 is MR8, not Finalite.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for all this info. I am going to be using more zeiss soon and this info has been great.

Thread Information