Thread: Dispensing to the deceased

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dispensing to the deceased

Sad day at the store. A longtime customer died in a car crash recently, his RayBan frame got lost.
    His loved ones want to bury him with his glasses. So we made a new pair in record time with plano lenses.
    My boss gave a 50% discount.
    Somehow it feels not quite right, i would have given it for free.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Back in the day we used to do that quite often and usually did not charge but that was our business policy. I don't think that I would do this today what with HIPAA, OSHA, FDA and all the other regulatory requirements not to mention the billing of some vision plans. Hopefully you are free of these encumbrances in the Netherlands and can freely Dispense to the Dead.

In any case, you done good.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Longtime customer in my opinion is give it to them. I had a young lady 16 years old, many years ago come in and ordered some glasses from me. She was so excited about the frames. She kept looking in the mirror at herself. I felt that she was very sick but had no idea she would die before her glasses were made. I called to let her mother know when the glasses were ready and were told of her passing. I apologized for calling and gave my condolences. Her mother said that when she was in my office was the first time in a very long time, she seemed happy and wanted the glasses anyway and asked what the balance was, because she wanted her daughter to wear them in her casket. I told her no charge and refunded the amount she had already paid. Sometimes, it's just the right thing. We never know what makes someone feel special. So sorry for the loss of your longtime customer.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Awesome Story Diane !! You did do the right thing!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diane this made my heart happy!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting thread. I always wondered if anyone else had done this before. My first experience many years back I was with a OD and a long time pt who was a preacher did not survive a car crash nor did his eyeglasses that he always got from me. They asked me to make him another pair and bring it to him at the funeral home. It was the only time I have ever dispensed to someone in a casket. Of course we just wrote that pair off.

Working at a OMD's office and the primary pt's for us are elderly there are many times that a order will be made and the pt never comes to pick them up and we read of their passing in the obituary's. It gets sobering sometimes working with elderly. It sorta helps keep things in perspective.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CC, It scares meet to read the obits. I lost two more clients this past weekend. I to have a elderly clients, but they are loyal faithfull and apreciative of all we do for them.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I assume this is more common in countries with open casket wakes and the like? Here, most opt for cremation, and the burials are closed casket in the majority of cases. As for glasses ordered but not picked up because the customer passed away, our optical chain keeps the down payment (20-25%) AFAIK. Fortunately, this isn't a problem that occurs that often.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    This happened a few times per year where I used to work. Our typical policy was to not charge the family the balance if there was one. Most often the family didn;t ask for the glasses, closed casket I suppose. We always donated the specs to Lions Club. THe worst part is the phone call you make to notify for pick-up, then find out the bad news.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    CC, It scares meet to read the obits. I lost two more clients this past weekend. I to have a elderly clients, but they are loyal faithfull and apreciative of all we do for them.
    At nearly 75 I check the obituaries first thing every morning. If I don't find my name I pour me a cup of coffee, Not scared a bit.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I had an employee that worked for me for eight years. During that time she was taking prerequisite classes for nursing school. Eventually she left my office to go to nursing school and completed that degree. What she really wanted to be was a mother. And she accomplished that as well. Sadly she was in an accident that ended her life too early. I was asked by her husband to make a pair of glasses because she lost hers in the accident. She always wore her glasses. Of course I did it at no charge. Sad I know. On a side note I had an older patient that picked up his glasses and had them for about 4 months then he died. The family was trying to get the money back for that purchase. lens only and was new to our practice. I did not give money back on that one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you, Diane. You certainly did the right thing.
    I wish i could have done the same. Instead of begging my employer for a bit of humanity.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I wish i could have done the same. Instead of begging my employer for a bit of humanity.
    What is in your heart is important. Your heart sounds good to me.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Why do you think it is appropriate to dump on your employer when you also have a wallet? As the owner, why should I pay if you want to give something away and then try to make it seem like we are doing something wrong.
    Just imagine; everyone of our clients will die at some time, so do we make a free set of burial glasses for all?

I understand death- my wife and I are Wish-grantors for Make A Wish and only 80% of our kids do survive- and we are in Florida catering to folks over 60, but it does not need to be part of my business model.

Just my thoughts!

By the way; last year one of my staff wanted to buy the glasses for an elderly lady who was lacking funds by telling her that the office was doing it for her. I did pay 100% of it and now she is a pain in the *** who calls constantly and will not get off the phone. No good deed goes unpunished.

Thread Information