Thread: Safety glasses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Safety glasses

Hello. Can anyone tell me if safety glasses are required for employees in an optical lab or possibly where I could find out this information please? Thank you and have a great day.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any lab I have worked in, whether LC or private, I was always required to wear safety glasses or goggles. Considering the chances of a lens deblocking in a generator, chemicals or tints being splashed in your face or dust and debris being produced during edging a lens, why wouldn't you want to wear them given those types of risks

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Just call OSHA and request an inspection of your facility. There will then be no question in your mind. You can also call your workman's compensation insurer and see what they have to say. Lotsa luck!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    They're only required in the sense that I think that by law you're required to provide a safe working environment.

Actually requesting an inspection by OSHA is a very good idea, since you'll know what, if anything, you need to do to be compliant with all of the various laws. And then tend to be a lot more lenient as far as fines and time to fix any issues when you've requested the inspection to make sure you're up to snuff. And it prevents you from being surprised by an inspection when a disgruntled ex-employee calls them complaining about you.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A store edging lab hazards are minimal, but wouldn't hurt wearing safety . I recommend you all wear hearing protection. I regret it now after edging lenses for the last 35 years,
    Money carefully refunded

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry Chilinguerian did an excellent post about his several years ago. Entire thread can be viewed here, but below is the best information..

"http://www.osha.gov/ is the definitive resource, you may find this particular PDF helpful http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3151.pdf
    also theirs the technical manual
    http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_toc.html

Some of the more obvious tips are:
    1. Compile MSDS sheets of all the chemicals used in your office (contact the manufacturers they will supply them)
    2. Place NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) stickers near all areas where the chemicals are used and or present. (you should recognize the stickers they are red, yellow, blue, and white more info - www.nfpa.org )
    3. Keep two copies of a binder with the MSDS sheets, one onsite and one offsite (keep both updated)
    4. Make sure one person in the office is in charge of keeping the binders up to date and making sure that everyone else in the office has access to the onsite binder along with a thorough understanding of the chemicals and what to do when they are exposed to the chemicals.
    5. Makes sure the proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is available to all that come in contact with any chemicals."
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Metzger View Post
    A store edging lab hazards are minimal, but wouldn't hurt wearing safety . I recommend you all wear hearing protection. I regret it now after edging lenses for the last 35 years,
    If your hearing loss can be attributed to your workplace you might just want to contact a savage Workman's Compensation Attorney. Your disability might enable you to retire to someplace a lot warmer than the Concord, NH area.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My 55 year old sister in-law worked at sears and sears automotive for over 30 years.

She had tires that were mis-stacked fall on her causing her to have 2 back surgeries over a 5 year period. working with back pain, not able to stand in 1 place or sit for extended periods along with pain she wakes up with every morning she started missing several days of work. She started getting threats of losing her job so she decided to contact a lawyer. 3 years after that she settled with sears (Workman's Comp) for $63000.

Luckily in a depressed Bush led economy she purchased a house for $57,000 cash. She has since then been trying to collect disability and get health insurance (with a lawyer helping every step of the way)

She can't get disability because she can't prove she's disabled without going to routine doctor visits to try exhaust all options.
    She can't go to routine doctor visits because she can't afford to pay a doctor.
    She can't get subsidized health insurance because she settled.
    She can't be happy because she lives in pain and fear for her future.

Too bad, She won't work under the table.
    Too bad she won't smoke pot.
    Too bad She won't abuse her pain meds.

She's every person's idea of a responsible individual, Yet workman's comp got her nothing to show but a politically motivated stigma that's she's on easy street abusing the system that everyone else but her paid into.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Too bad, She won't work under the table.
    Too bad she won't smoke pot.
    Too bad She won't abuse her pain meds.
    I will not smoke pot in a train, I will not smoke pot in the rain. I will not smoke pot with a fox, I will not smoke pot with a fox. I wont take pain meds here or there, I wont take pain meds anywhere. But seriously, after all that, theres no need to live with such terrible suffering. everything in moderation

Thread Information