Thread: Polar Vortex - Please take it back!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Polar Vortex - Please take it back!

To my Canadian friends.... OK, we got it. The Loonie is down 10% vs. the dollar. We have been punished enough! PLEASE TAKE BACK YOUR POLAR VORTEX!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I couldn't agree more...as I sit in dispensing with my gloves on. Why do the patients have to keep opening the door???

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The Loonie is down 10% vs. the dollar. .....................................

Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post

To my Canadian friends.... OK, we got it. The Loonie is down 10% vs. the dollar. We have been punished enough! PLEASE TAKE BACK YOUR POLAR VORTEX!

Yes you have been punished enough and its time the US $ goes the other way, so the Americans will flood Canada again next summer.

I smelled it for a 2nd time in 20 years and bought some rental properties in Florida 2-3 years ago when the Dollar was just about at par.

Now the real estate is already up and the Can $ goes down again so I should be OK when selling again..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Yes you have been punished enough and its time the US $ goes the other way, so the Americans will flood Canada again next summer.

I smelled it for a 2nd time in 20 years and bought some rental properties in Florida 2-3 years ago when the Dollar was just about at par.

Now the real estate is already up and the Can $ goes down again so I should be OK when selling again..
    Chris - We'll be spending $$$ in Canada this summer (at a 10% discount, why not?) And all for a long trip to Chicoutimi and the Gaspesie. Although I remember in the 1990s the discount rate was much higher. I once drove to Montreal just for a good lunch, and back again the same day. Also got some great cheese and pates at Marche Atwater. They had to be smuggled into the U.S. I guess I am a criminal.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Also got some great cheese and pates at Marche Atwater. They had to be smuggled into the U.S. I guess I am a criminal.

I buy my Swiss cheeses at Atwater too, and did so 2 month ago. 2 kgs of my favorite Appenzeller at the restaurant discount of about 20%.

But the pates I get from a restaurant wholesaler Aubu just behind Atwater in vaccum packed 1.3 ks for about $ 14.00

I also imported some of it to Florida to keep me over the winter.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I buy my Swiss cheeses at Atwater too, and did so 2 month ago. 2 kgs of my favorite Appenzeller at the restaurant discount of about 20%.

But the pates I get from a restaurant wholesaler Aubu just behind Atwater in vaccum packed 1.3 ks for about $ 14.00

I also imported some of it to Florida to keep me over the winter.
    Do you also use Marche Jean Talon? I have been told that it is bigger, better, and less expensive.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper For bulk stuff I go to the Central Market .........................

Do you also use Marche Jean Talon? I have been told that it is bigger, better, and less expensive.

No Sharon.............For bulk stuff I go to the Central Market that sells all wholesale and buy (last yeaer) 50lbs bag of potatoes
    for $ 14.00 and 50 lbs extra large onions for $ 18.00.

The green veggies in smaller quantities at the Lachine market at not even half the price the local store take.

Like right now I am back in Montreal since Monday and it has been around -18 C all the time but tomorrow Friday I am going back
    to my winter place in Naples Florida where the temperature is in the low 80s as my wife says. She has running the air conditioning while here it is nothing than the heating.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

I just spent a very busy week in Montreal where the temperature was hoping around -18C and when I got off the plane in Ft Lauderdale it was a balmy 81F.

What a relieve to be back in warm weather with the Geraniums flowering along the drive way while in Montreal the five and 6 foot snowbanks were decorating my other drive way.

Only another 2 1/2 month and we can start another Summer season back home.

Thread Information