Thread: Serious brain storming needed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea Serious brain storming needed

how does an optical shop not only survive BUT thrive without a resident OD OR accepting vision plans. Is it possible?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Good question, Does said shop have a part time doc or not?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'd say lots of net working, keep prices down, but still give great lenses and frames. With out taking mvc plans profits will be up...If you want I can pm you some ideas tonight (I'm thinking about doing the same thing)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You don't need a doc and you are better off NOT going cheap. But you do need some referral and a great reputation in the area you serve.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    You don't need a doc and you are better off NOT going cheap. But you do need some referral and a great reputation in the area you serve.
    +1

OptiBoard Apprentice Eye glass lady's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can run an Optical shop without a doctor. Contract with a very reputable lab, and supply lab. sell yourself and your shop to surrounding doctors. Even though the doctors usually sell their own line of frames and products , they may appreciate a shop to send their pts to if they can't serve them for whatever reason , or maybe you could propose a contract of some sort with a doctors clinic, Work with them in exchange for something. Everyone has something the other needs. Having a mini lab is a great boon. If you're near a military base or a big company that needs safety frames for example. But with a reputable lab , a good reputation , a good business plan with a person who is proficient in sales and business , who is familiar with computer programs. I would think these can land you in a good place .
    note. (Note: The company I work for do not take any insurances ,
    Payments up front only.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You survive by carrying products unique to the area, customer service beyond repute, and you make it a destination.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I did it. Lost my OD to illness right at the start of the recession in '07. Thought that was it for me after a year of not finding a new Doc, but carried on. I won't say I thrived, but I did in fact make money each year, for about 4 years until I found another OD. I now have an OD that is employed in a group come in to my office 2 days per week, and he bills exams, insurance, keeps the fees. I take no insurance on the optical side, other then medicaid which is more about community service because it's only for kids. We do just fine, and I have the OD in our office booked out about 5 weeks.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If you have the balls to stand on your own two feet and are a real Optician and are not under indictment or subject to periodic episodes requiring detox and rehab you should be able to make a go of an ethical retail optical business. If you are the most skilled Optician in town and not merely a legend in your own mind you should thrive without the need on an independent hired gun on the premises or any of that insurance crap.

If the above is true you must be willing to tell the world that your services and products are second to none. Exercise sound business practices, do what is fair to both your customers and yourself and above all, work hard.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've got no balls...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Demographic. I believe it may be the sole reason.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I've got no balls...
    Made me laugh

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    how does an optical shop not only survive BUT thrive without a resident OD OR accepting vision plans. Is it possible?
    Yes, without both, since 1995.

But not from scratch- I took over a profitable store that was closed by Benson Optical Co. They left the fixtures, furniture, even a few tools. I printed the customer list before they took the computer. I got an unsecured personal bank loan for working capitol (I still don't understand why they gave a renter with a 11 year old car an unsecured personal loan?!), bought the phone number from Sterling Optical's Long Island lawyer for $1500 (yes, everything you've heard about New York lawyers is true- even my lawyer couldn't believe it), loaded the boards with consignments (and 250 disco Optyl frames from a local rep- thanks Paula, and thanks to Soderberg), and didn't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Yup, your reputation is your shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    subject to periodic episodes requiring detox and rehab
    If you can handle retail, you should be able to handle drugs. If you can't, then write or paint.

Exercise sound business practices, do what is fair to both your customers and yourself and above all, work hard.
    That, and a large dose of good luck.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I send a lot of people for repair work. Just sayin'.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    If you have the balls to stand on your own two feet and are a real Optician and are not under indictment or subject to periodic episodes requiring detox and rehab you should be able to make a go of an ethical retail optical business. If you are the most skilled Optician in town and not merely a legend in your own mind you should thrive without the need on an independent hired gun on the premises or any of that insurance crap.
    IME, being an optician INDUCES periodic episodes requiring detox and rehab.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I send a lot of people for repair work. Just sayin'.
    Of course, you have your own dispensary and staff to support.

WRT repairs, I feel they require too many compromises in fit, vision, and reliability. I recommend a barebones (or better) pair to get the client through until their next exam date. That way they'll have new, up-to-date eyeglasses ,and a reasonably good spare, which they should have had in the first place. I get to unload some old, unreturnable inventory, the client gets a huge break on price, everybody wins. Maybe that's not possible in the managed care world, but it sure works well at the retail level.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Nice idea.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mshimp View Post
    Made me laugh
    I wasn't kidding! I don't have the kahones to go at without a safety net (doctors) I've got a few offices, and not only do I need to have a doctor, but I need to have GOOD doctors. Yes, I have gone without, but my offices are in rural areas, so it doesn't make sense for me. In the big city, they have stores that sell just tires, just hats, just sushi, and even just batteries. In the rural markets, people want one-stop shopping in most everything they shop for.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Robert, I'm talking about starting from scratch. In order to survive (do to lack of volume) must you be middle to high end?
    rbaker, you made some strong statements (also humorous).Would you mind defining a real optician?
    Johns do you think that rural with little competition is the best way to go over suburban with big populations and big competition?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Robert, I'm talking about starting from scratch. In order to survive (do to lack of volume) must you be middle to high end?
    Read optical24/7's response above. It's unlikely one can be successful without an existing client base and/or referral source.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I wasn't kidding! I don't have the kahones to go at without a safety net (doctors) I've got a few offices, and not only do I need to have a doctor, but I need to have GOOD doctors. Yes, I have gone without, but my offices are in rural areas, so it doesn't make sense for me. In the big city, they have stores that sell just tires, just hats, just sushi, and even just batteries. In the rural markets, people want one-stop shopping in most everything they shop for.
    Here's the answer I'd look at long hard and trust!

Testicular elephantitis is something to avoid imho.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This office is owned by a MD. That helps a lot because it generates medicare. We do nothing with vision plans. Other then medicare and unfortunately right now Health Spring. We not the most expensive in town and of course not the least expensive. Make most our money off the frames. Frames start at $100 and go up from there. I would love to bring up the price of the lenses a bit but do not want to run off business.
    We do have OD come in 2 days a week. But all she is really doing is playing with the contacts the the MD does not bother with. We all know there is no money in contacts.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Independent optical here for 1 year, without an OD. I started from scratch, from the bottom up. I tried to enroll in every single insurance plan I could. I have a good relationship with a commercial OD across the street, and she refers over to us. I promote faster turnaround - like 1 hour service or next day service.
    I carry low and high end frames. Get in touch with someone who can bring you overstock designer frames to spice up your inventory. I give customers options from value progressives to the big brand ones.
    I worked in an OD office before, so i am very familiar with insurance plans. I do a lot of vsp out of network billings, and that seems to help a lot. Whatever it takes to increase traffic to the store. Even the crappy insurances: spectera, superior vision, mes, avesis. Eyemed in the works..
    I get a lot of local customers finding me through yelp, i update ads on craigslist on a daily basis, and make sure i am listed on every single search engine website. Check out yext.com. most importantly, referrals and word of mouth. I tried pennysaver for 1 month, usps every direct door mail to 3500 residents and businesses, flyers, coupons, banners, sandwich A signs...
    NOW... things are getting a little more interesting because we have an OD next door to do eye exams. I will update you in a few months to let you know how things are going!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Have you given any thought to dispensing hearing aids? Eyes and ears go together pretty well here with our population.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi optician2601. You must have paid out a ton of money in advertising that first year. I didn't know that independent opticians could be in network on vision plans . which one lest you do that? A lot of ODs here hate UHC vision. theres is probably a market there

Thread Information