Thread: Glasses Receipt

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Glasses Receipt

Do any of you have something posted at the bottom of the sales receipt that all sales are final after order due to the lens being a customized product? If so, what do you have? I don't want to come across wrong but I also want to protect the sale....

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have it on our receipts. We explain to customers that their glasses are a customized product and that if they want to make any changes to order or wish to cancel the order altogether, they have to notify us within 24 hours. After 24 hours there is no turning back. Everyone in our office goes over this with our patients and the patient must sign the bottom of the receipt acknowledging we explained this and they accept it as such.

We used to allow them 10 days to do any exchanges or returns but it became a mess and costly when you have patients who change their mind multiple times within that 10 day timeframe.
    Last edited by newguyaroundhere; 01-08-2015 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling error

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Although its good to have, post and share these policies... its also good to be flexible when that special situation arises. Its sometimes better to eat a job than lose a patient and their referrals

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Although its good to have, post and share these policies... its also good to be flexible when that special situation arises. Its sometimes better to eat a job than lose a patient and their referrals
    Depends on the patient and their referrals. Last year we had a woman who, when told she would be getting a Shamir lens, simply stated that she would not purchase that lens. I explained to her why it would be the best lens for her particular condition, and she replied ... well, I don't feel comfortable posting her response here, suffice to say her antisemitism prevented her from hearing us out. Yes, she actually refused to purchase a product because it was produced by a company from Israel.

So yeah, there's some patients that I have no problem "losing." Patients are people, and some people are absolutely rotten. If providing standardized service is apt to lose them, I pat myself on the back for creating those standards.
    Sincerely,
    Chad Sobodash ABO-AC

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    There's a long-time Optiboard member who used to own his own shop, Dave Metzger. He has as a footer on all his posts "Money carefully refunded". Sometimes, fortunately not often, handing money back is the best, most prudent course of action.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its rare we refund, but there have been times it has been the best path for us and the patient. We did 3 refunds last year. 2 have been back since, along with their families. The other, well it was well worth the money to put us all out of that misery...
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optometrist
    My question: I'd love to print out all sorts of gobbledy-gook on my receipts, but I don't have the method.

We also print a lot of internal forms, order forms, etc.

I guess I could dedicate a printer solely to receipts and have the gobbledy pre-printed on the back, and then select the proper printer when clicking "print".

Is that what you all do?

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    My question: I'd love to print out all sorts of gobbledy-gook on my receipts, but I don't have the method.

We also print a lot of internal forms, order forms, etc.

I guess I could dedicate a printer solely to receipts and have the gobbledy pre-printed on the back, and then select the proper printer when clicking "print".

Is that what you all do?
    We actually had it included on our itemized receipts that print out whenever they order glasses from us. Wasn't too much effort, but we are a larger practice, so smaller M&P shops might require a little more effort to have that included.

Another option is possibly having brochures printed out explain your office's policies on warranties, exchanges/returns/cancellations, additional offers, etc

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I like the brochure idea. Thanks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Store credit if you (or I ) wish to do business together again. If I refund, I don't wish to see you darken my doorstep ever again!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Store credit if you (or I ) wish to do business together again. If I refund, I don't wish to see you darken my doorstep ever again!
    +1

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    There's a long-time Optiboard member who used to own his own shop, Dave Metzger. He has as a footer on all his posts "Money carefully refunded". Sometimes, fortunately not often, handing money back is the best, most prudent course of action.
    Love that one. I have a small paragraph toward the bottom of my receipts explaining that both the patient and provider agree that the patient is responsible for the full amount irrespective of the insurance coverage. The patient agrees to pay any outstanding balance. Lenses are customized exclusively to the patient. However, I reserve the right to refund a percentage of the purchase if the party is not agreeable to a restyle. I may change the wording to, "Money carefully refunded"
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for all your input! Greatly appreciated!! :)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Its rare we refund, but there have been times it has been the best path for us and the patient. We did 3 refunds last year. 2 have been back since, along with their families. The other, well it was well worth the money to put us all out of that misery...

Yes.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Amen brother. It's unreasonable to expect refunds on custom made lenses, and on the time spent interpreting the Rx and designing the eyeglasses. The only exceptions are if one or both parties are deceased- if I die, you'll get a full refund, if you so choose (it hasn't happened yet!), and if you die, I'll refund everything but material cost (happened two months ago- the family thought that was very reasonable).
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the reference JEFE. Money carefully refunded , however over the course of 15 years, I wrote 3 checks to fire the customer. To cover my donkey, I had the receipts and signage near the register that all sales were final. They appreciated that I violated policy to help only them!
    Money carefully refunded

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    There has been a few times that I handed the money back to the patient... and then said "we have taken care of the financial issue with you, but that still leaves a visual one, I still have some tools and things we can try to get you the best vision. You are welcome to go somewhere else, but they will probably repeat the issue, and you are again left frustrated. I have some solutions we can look at if and when you are ready to give us the opportunity"

Only once did a patient not hand us the money back...

Thread Information