Thread: Would you ...?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Would you ...?

A patient comes in, has eyesight in only one eye, and wants to buy a 3 piece mount. Would you sell him that frame with poly or trivex in it or would you try to talk him out of it because that frame would not protect him enough against a high impact event? We've talked about lenses to use but does the strength of the frame come into play when we are concerned about protecting the eyesight in his only good eye?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Yes in Trivex. I've seen three piece safety frames.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Yes in Trivex. I've seen three piece safety frames.
    I'm talking about regular 3 piece mounts that one would have on their boards, say, silhouette. What I am wondering is ... would that frame, with the "prongs" and the "fragility" pose a threat to the person who only has one good eye in a high impact situation, say, rather than a full frame or even a semi-rimless frame. And what may be the "legal" standards of selling that type of frame to someone who only has one eye. So, what I am really talking about is the "frame standard" here in reasonably protecting that one good eye.
    Last edited by SailorEd; 12-20-2014 at 08:20 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If you're doing Trivex you should be fine. It's more impact resistant than poly and all that. But think of it like this: The odds of him losing that other eye are lottery level high. On the off chance that something was to happen to where he was in a situation like that the trivex would protect him even if the frame is pushed back to the point of it failing. I'd say explain it to him (judging by this I'm guessing you did) and let him make up his mind.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would attempt to steer the patient away from a drillmount but if they have their heart set on it then trivex would of course be the best option for it. A cautionary tale should be told to the patient warning them of the potential dangers, but ultimately, it would be up to the patient what they would want to wear. Forewarned is forearmed. I don't think a safety frame is necessary. Ive put plenty of patients with one eye left into a sturdy metal or zyl frame. If it came down to it I wouldn't mind putting them in a drillmount that has bushings but certainly not something that has metal screw prongs with lug nuts that stick out the back. That might not be the best idea.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes in trivex.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post
    A patient comes in, has eyesight in only one eye, and wants to buy a 3 piece mount. Would you sell him that frame with poly or trivex in it or would you try to talk him out of it because that frame would not protect him enough against a high impact event? We've talked about lenses to use but does the strength of the frame come into play when we are concerned about protecting the eyesight in his only good eye?
    What type of, high impact event, are you trying to protect him from. If you put some thought into it I am sure that you would come to the same conclusion, that a full frame can cause more damage to the face than a three piece rimless. Go rimless and Trivex, if he works in some industrial area get him into a second pair of safety glasses.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Talk about overthinking things. If this dude gets hit in the face that hard that the rimless frame he has on causes injury, I suspect he may have other head injuries as well. JMO

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would use trivex for a drill mount. As for the decision between a full metal and rimless; a lens is more apt to come out of a metal frame if hit hard enough. (unless you're trying to talk the pt into a safety frame, which would be overkill.) The lens will stay in the 3 piece mount, but will also be pushed against the face upon impact. So I guess it's a personal choice on frame type.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Thread Information