Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do Independants still support Essilor?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Dorval, a suburb of Montreal in a park like environment on Lake St.Louis.
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by djal View Post

I've tried to get an answer from Hoya why the selection of products offered here is so limited compared to Japan... nobody could (or perhaps nobody wants) give me a clear answer! I even suggested to them to outsource some lenses and get them done in Hoya's factories in Asia/Japan... I was told shipping would be too expensive... BS obviously as Nikon, Essilor and Shamir do it on a large scale...

Hoya has finally woken up and did join the takeover race a few month ago. They have been forced to join the race or become the looser in the field. So just keep watching and see what they are up to this year.
    Chris Ryser

http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by djal View Post
    IMO Crizal is a terrible AR coating. Look at the coating with a fluorescent lights behind... after 2 years of wear 80 to 90% of the times you see this generalized "glazing" on the lenses. We have been using Hoya EX3 for over 2 years now... nothing like this occurs with the EX3. What I find sad with Hoya USA/ Canada though is the fact they do not have half of the innovative products Hoya Japan offers... If they would ever bring all these products in North America, I'm sure Essilor would begin to get very nervous! I've tried to get an answer from Hoya why the selection of products offered here is so limited compared to Japan... nobody could (or perhaps nobody wants) give me a clear answer! I even suggested to them to outsource some lenses and get them done in Hoya's factories in Asia/Japan... I was told shipping would be too expensive... BS obviously as Nikon, Essilor and Shamir do it on a large scale...
    It has nothing to do with shipping costs; correct they're giving you BS, and here's why...

Hoya North America wants to sell you a very limited portfolio of lenses - the ones that they can make the most profit on. They don't give a hoot about Japan's products. The American president's famous slogan to his reps is to "Sell what you got".

As for Canada, it is even more BS and limited. They currently outsource about 70% of their jobs to Thailand and receive a box from them every day. Last time I checked a map, Thailand is much closer to Japan than North America is.

Global sourcing of products is fine as it's the way of the future as the market continues to change. However, 7-10 day overseas delivery is horrible for them, especially when other smaller companies are to do it in 4 days with the same quality and lower cost and is about to get even better very soon....

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post

Global sourcing of products is fine as it's the way of the future as the market continues to change. However, 7-10 day overseas delivery is horrible for them, especially when other smaller companies are to do it in 4 days with the same quality and lower cost and is about to get even better very soon....

If you allow me to make a correction .........................

These companies all have special arrangements with UPS/FEDEX/DHL for overnight or 2nd day delivery on a worldwide basis.
    Chris Ryser

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    If you allow me to make a correction .........................

These companies all have special arrangements with UPS/FEDEX/DHL for overnight or 2nd day delivery on a worldwide basis.
    Correct, so one must ask why it takes Hoya so long 7-10 days? It says so right on their price list 'please allow 7-10 days for delivery'.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have used Hoya for several years and have found their quality excellent. They had some problems with their lab, but now seem to be corrected. It's true it takes 7-10 days to get a job, but often that can be faster. People don't seem to mind. No matter what, even though I can't fully divest from Essilor, I think it is dumb for any independent to use the Essilor lab directly. I also use Hamilton Lens and Dave is great.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Correct, so one must ask why it takes Hoya so long 7-10 days? It says so right on their price list 'please allow 7-10 days for delivery'.

I could list all the reasons we have delays on our orders but that isn't the point. Nothing we haven't heard or said before. I do know that they will say themselves that their AR takes up to two days alone because of the substrate process. Not sure how accurate this is. They do offer their Sight Overnight from Columbus which is a selection of lenses and coatings that are available to be received next day if ordered by 1pm. It does come in on time- just not always right...
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I could list all the reasons we have delays on our orders but that isn't the point. Nothing we haven't heard or said before. I do know that they will say themselves that their AR takes up to two days alone because of the substrate process. Not sure how accurate this is. They do offer their Sight Overnight from Columbus which is a selection of lenses and coatings that are available to be received next day if ordered by 1pm. It does come in on time- just not always right...
    The 7-10 delivery window is an average turn around period and does not even factor in breakages or shipping mishaps.

Occupation
    Here we go:

2 years later the Lux and Essilor are merging to make the largest ever existing optical company on a global level. Amen.
    Chris Ryser

Thread Information