Thread: Squeaky lenses...HELP!

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Squeaky lenses...HELP!

I can't believe that in 11 years of being in this business, that I've never had this problem, but, alas, here I sit! I just made a pair of glasses for a patient, using a round, plastic frame (Anglo-American) and the lenses are 1.67. I cannot, for the life of me, stop the lenses from "creaking" when the frame is flexed slightly! Lens sizing is good, I've tried with polished edges and without, but the creaking continues. Does anybody have any "tricks of the trade" that might help with this? I feel silly even asking!

Thanks in advance!!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That liquid lens liner stuff usually solves the problem. It acts like a cushion to the movement-squeak.

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Optix View Post
    I can't believe that in 11 years of being in this business, that I've never had this problem, but, alas, here I sit! I just made a pair of glasses for a patient, using a round, plastic frame (Anglo-American) and the lenses are 1.67. I cannot, for the life of me, stop the lenses from "creaking" when the frame is flexed slightly! Lens sizing is good, I've tried with polished edges and without, but the creaking continues. Does anybody have any "tricks of the trade" that might help with this? I feel silly even asking!

Thanks in advance!!
    Double check to make sure the lenses are sitting in the bevel correctly? Sometimes when a frame is flexed, it could cause the lens to slightly pop out of the frame, causing that creaking and squeaking sound you might be hearing.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, if you have a buffing wheel run the lenses around it a couple times and try heating the frame and shrinking it down a bit more.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had good success with oil. Remove the lenses and apply mineral oil if you have it, I prefer grape seed oil (higher smoke point) rub that bad boy up and use your hot air frame warmer and continue to rub the oil into the frame alternating with heat. A by product are soft supple hands your patients will love you.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1.67 indicates high minus. I would bet the rim has a deeper groove than the bevel of the lens, allowing the hide-a-bevel to rest on the back edge of the rim instead of seating deep into the groove. Since its round you could try heating the frame as hot as you dare and after inserting the lens, wrap your thumb and forefinger around it (ala 'ok' - or as my family used to say, three-o) and see if you can squeeze it enough to push the back edge down a bit. Hope its not black and/or nylon so you still have some skin left tho.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to see this a lot with Optyl frames. It would stop after a few weeks. It took a bit of sweat and nose grease to act as a lubricant.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    I used to see this a lot with Optyl frames. It would stop after a few weeks. It took a bit of sweat and nose grease to act as a lubricant.
    yes!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    It quits after a time. People just focus on the new fit feel and noise glasses make and do. If they do anything different then the old pair they tend to focus in on that and not that big trucking coming at them......so where is the priority? Squeaky glasses big truck? Bet ya forget bout squeaky glasses real quick.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Heat the frame, insert the lenses, flex the frame a little (add a little face form) then quickly cool the frame, flex it a little, the groaning should go away. If not, the oil treatment listed above works well also.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just tell them its squeaky clean =D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I found this can also be due to the form of the frame not matching the form of the lenses. One way to fix this is with the application of heat that Eyecare Rich described. This helps the frame match the lens form. The other way would be to alter the form to the desired level and then mounting the lenses.

Make sure the sizing is right, as this can alter both the curvature of the lens and of the frame!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    That liquid lens liner stuff usually solves the problem. It acts like a cushion to the movement-squeak.
    I agree. I've used this and it works well.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    I think this is the stuuf.

I never used it to stop the squeak. I just told them to wear it and it will disappear on its own over time (which it does as the squeak spot wears down).

I like it for thin gauge bezels or lenses that are just a touch small. Forget about the needle tip. It clogs. I just space a few drops into the bezel spread it with a finger tip. Set it over my glass bead frame warmer to speed drying and viola! Tight lenses.

http://www.hilco.com/Optometry/Detai...tFamilyID=2975

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    CAUTION! DANGER! You can use acetone. Not on poly lens of course. Use a rat tail file dip into the acetone, then with a surgeons steady hand put into the rim with lens already inserted.

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks a lot, y'all! I actually went back and figured it was probably more related to sizing than anything else, so I shrunk the frame down a tad, and BAM! It was all good! Thanks again for all your help!

Thread Information