Thread: Interesting problem

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Interesting problem

Just got my new glasses. I’ll list the main points of what happened and if anyone recognizes a pattern they can let me know.

The new prescription: (Nikon See Coat Blue $300)
    sphere cyl axis Pd
    Od +75 -1 95 68
    Os P -75 95 68
    Base curve is 5
    (I had a pair with base curve 2 and they gave me headaches.)

I’ll post my old prescriptions if I can find them. But the prescription is weak and is close to what I had before (Within 0.5)

The prescription is so weak I can turn my old and new glasses upside down or backwards and still see fine. Obviously my eyes seem to be able to compensate for short periods even if the prescription is switched left for right and is upside down.

The lab tech convinced me to try these new glasses for a few days so I can adjust.

When I first put on the Glasses:

1 I felt a strange feeling like being sea sick (but not) or wearing a really low power drunk goggles (They bend light to simulate being drunk)

2 The feeling is much worse if I move my eyes or body.

3 The feeling is worse if I am moving or looking at moving things 5-20 feet away (When walking down the street).

4 Looking at things 1 foot away, or looking in a mirror feels great. Like vision is supposed to feel.

5 Looking out my left eye is fine. 20/20 vision and no “drunk goggles” effect.
    5.1 Looking out my right eye is fine. 20/20 vision and no “drunk goggles” effect.
    5.2 Looking out both eyes with the new glasses is a problem (See point 1,2,3)

6 Making circles with my thumb and finger and placing them in front of my glasses helps dramatically (But makes me look un-professional)

7 When trying to focus on text 3 feet away, it is a bit hard to read.
    7.1 Closing my left eye will make the text instantly sharp.
    7.2 Closing my right eye will make things sharp after between a 1/2 second to a full second of time. (Fairly fast)

8 It feels like my depth perception is warped

9 Or perhaps it feels like my 2 eyes refuse to cooperate past 3 feet when I wear this one particular pair of glasses.
    9.1 Or it feels like I almost have double vision but the visions are too close together to be sure.

10 I have had similar depth perception feelings when I tried on My wife’s very strong prescription gasses. (Though I could manage to see through them ok)

11 The lab tech thought the wires on the half frame were too tight and could be warping the rim of the lenses but they checked them and the tension was OK.

Those are all the symptoms I can put into words.

If people could try to answer the question of why this has not happened with my other glasses I would really appreciate it. We can't send them back untill we know what is wrong.

Sincerely,
    Brent

PS.
    One last bit of info that may be relivant, is that I have migraine halos caused by long tube florescent lights (And actual migraines if exposed for long enough). Shiny floors (Wal-Mart) make it worse. Big windows with natural light make it better. I tried the FL-41 tint from the university in Utah, but it did not work for me.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As per the OptiBoard Posting Guidelines:

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

All the professional Opticians on this site would love to help you solve your problems or answer your questions about your eye care and eye wear needs! But vision and visual solutions can have thousands of correct as well as incorrect answers.

We care about your vision and visual needs so strongly that we must advise you to seek a professional in the eye care field. Only with in-person evaluation can you truly get a proper diagnosis. You PD and powers are simply not enough information to give you any kind of advice other than speculation. We are sure that you want the best in eye care, as we want for you. Please seek out someone that you can discuss your issues with in person.

If you need a recommendation for someone in your area, please feel free to ask and we will try to find you a knowledgeable eye care professional in your area that can help you with your truly unique needs.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information