Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    "Crizal® Prevencia™ lenses deflect harmful Blue-Violet light by 20%"
    from the horses mouth. I never believe the hype. Is it still a niche lens for people with macular degeneration and budding cataracts or has been accepted as the end all be all antireflective coating for generation Z and the Millennials

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11605[/ATTACH]
    While I believe without a doubt these products work as they are advertised, that does not mean I believe completely the therapeutic effects are definitely there. Only time and lots of trials would be able to prove that. I only stand by the fact that they do indeed block blue light in various degrees. Jmho

Comment

I have and wear both. The coating does block a small percentage of blue light and BluTech blocks significantly more though the darker tint is more noticeable. The niche is larger than only those with budding retina issues. The protection makes a difference for those who spend a large amount of time using a computer, video games and other similar digital devices. We are literally bathing in blue light since the advent of CFLs in our homes.
      I would suggest you all bring your lens and coating samples with you to VEE, VEW or SECO and test them yourselves. There were a couple of companies demonstrating blue light testers who were more than happy to allow us to test BluTech and BlueScreen at VEE last year. We were impressed with the results. JMHO.

BluTech (left or top) BlueScreen (right or bottom)
      Last edited by Judy Canty; 12-13-2014, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Personal experience with wearing the prevencia lenses, blue light blocking at whatever level it does...I have gone from needing tears 6+ times per day to twice, at waking and at bedtime. My eyes are not red and fatigued by 3pm on a work day as they were this time last year.

Comment

I can try to get a pic of our prevencia demo. ..for you to view. My observation was mostly the purple. "Hue". ..I've only had 2 patients complain about the cosmetics and asked to be switched to an avance style ar..
          Personally I show all my patients the demos to show the purple hue to make sure they are aware of it prior to purchase ..

Comment

Here is the spectrometer graph of a real blue - blocking lens:
            Attached Files

Comment

so if there's a yellow ish colour to them it does indeed mean that some blue light is being blocked.

this does not make selling them as 'blocking out harmful blue light' ethical in the slightest. the problem i have with these lenses isn't their properties - it's the claims of reps and dispensers...

Comment

Originally posted by standarduck View Post
                so if there's a yellow ish colour to them it does indeed mean that some blue light is being blocked.

this does not make selling them as 'blocking out harmful blue light' ethical in the slightest. the problem i have with these lenses isn't their properties - it's the claims of reps and dispensers...
                I made a pair for myself, and looking at a laptop with a cool white screen, then raising the gls you can easily see the screen turn a nice white temp.

Its all we sell here now. as of today me and the optician have sold 45 this month. :)

We did have a special older pt come back saying that everyone at Thanksgiving dinner asked her if she had a black eye... shakes my head... said that it was all they talked about;... ok... back to avance you go.

The purple hue is kinda iridescent with a 2nd reflection of the green like avance. Im assuming that the stack is purple-green LENS green-purple ( green being the layer against the lens surface and the purple being top layers.

Comment

Originally posted by Uilleann View Post
                  Herein lies the problem. There is absolutely no agreement on what specific frequency or frequencies of light to attenuate, nor how far to attenuate said frequencies. Further, every manufacturer seems to have their own particular interpretation of "blue light", and how they choose to "manage" it varies wildly.It's the wild wild west...of blue light!
                  You hit the nail on the head... compare a similarly tinted lens with a blue reflective AR and I doubt you would see any difference.

Comment

Fundamentally, any lens that blocks blue effectively will have a yellow cast, and its ability to block blue will be directly related to the degree of that cast (its simply a principle of the color wheel, anytime I effectively block one color its Complimentary (opposite) on the spectrum will come through to a larger degree. The damaging rays of of Short Wave Blue are not fully blocked by a yellow, it must be a yellow orange to cover the full spectrum of damaging blue light.

Historically we have had fluorescent lights now for over 40 years, and the older fluorescent lights put out 10x the amount of SWB than the newer full spectrum bulbs and 15X the older incandescent, and vastly more in lumens than any computer monitor or cel phone does.

No one advocates full spectrum bulbs for the health benefits (though they do offer other benefits), no one uses the true Yellow-Orange to cancel out all SWB, and NO one has compared their product to a simple yellow tint and a blue reflective AR. And no one has reported a rash of AMD cases because of simple fluorescent bulbs still common in the workplace. Simply put the whole blue light thing as a health benefit is hokey.

However there is a benefit in contrast that we can document.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick777 View Post
                        You hit the nail on the head... compare a similarly tinted lens with a blue reflective AR and I doubt you would see any difference.
                        Not true. I have cpf tinted lenses here and have used a blue light side by side and the tinted lenses DO NOT perform the same. Also, let's clarify, they FILTER OUT the Blue light, not block it. They all claim to allow SOME blue light through. Once again, don't drink the kool-aid, make some for yourself and test the lenses for yourself.

Comment

It is all about how much Blue Light ......................................

Originally posted by golfnut View Post

Not true. I have cpf tinted lenses here and have used a blue light side by side and the tinted lenses DO NOT perform the same. Also, let's clarify, they FILTER OUT the Blue light, not block it. They all claim to allow SOME blue light through. Once again, don't drink the kool-aid, make some for yourself and test the lenses for yourself.

It is all about how much Blue Light in a dangerous form or otherwise, comes out at the rear end of the lens...............and what is transmitted to the retina.

If you send Blue Light it into the lens, and it comes out again, the claims are just money making ones and will do no good to anyone that paid the price for them.

Maybe the AR coating is reflecting a minimum of blue but what counts is what come out the lens on the back.

Comment

Chris they say it filters out the harmful wavelengths of Blue light that contribute to retinal cell death, while leaving the helpful blue light wavelengths that help us see well and regulate circadian rhythms.

At least that's what they say makes Prevencia different.

Comment

well played slim, that's the same pop display the rep dropped off. I was as excited as a fat kid rollin up to a cake shop when I saw it, and I felt terrible letting the rep know that it looked like sapphire. she said I'm just the messenger. I walk by the display 1000 times and look at it every time hoping for a different color but it doesn't look purple. I think maybe im color blind? It sucks getting old

Comment

Originally posted by chaoticneutral View Post
                                well played slim, that's the same pop display the rep dropped off. I was as excited as a fat kid rollin up to a cake shop when I saw it, and I felt terrible letting the rep know that it looked like sapphire. she said I'm just the messenger. I walk by the display 1000 times and look at it every time hoping for a different color but it doesn't look purple. I think maybe im color blind? It sucks getting old
                                So you just want it to be more purple? I would actually prefer it to be just like the Sapphire but it seems too purple to me?

Comment

Working...
                                X